Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #1

Nevada Driver License Endorsement J

How many in Nevada towing 10,000 or more have endorsement J on their license? It's just another little zinger from Nevada DMV requiring both written and skills test before you can legally tow 10k or more in NV. I just purchased a new Arctic Fox with a GVWR of 13,900 and stumbled across this requirement. Now I cannot legally tow the new 5ver tll I have completed the test. I will have to find someone with endorsement J to tow my rig to DMV so I can take the skills test. So I am just wondering how difficult it was for any of my fellow Nevadans.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Probably very few people even know of the requirement or have complied!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's very clearly shown on the NV Driver's Licenses and ID Cards web page
Nevada Driver Licenses and ID Cards
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #4

I agree that few know anything about that requirement. However, one should comply with it in case they are in a situation where they have to show it to a LEO.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #5

Someone with an Endorsement J, or someone with a CDL will work to get you to the test site. The person with the CDL doesn't need a medical certificate (only needed when driving commercially). I've helped Maryland RV'ers who needed someone with a CDL or their special endorsement and I haven't had a medical certificate in years. Call your DMV and ask if your other driver must drive your rig to the test site, or they just have to be in the co-pilot seat. Like a new driver for a first time license. Someone coming into this without any experience needs to be able to practice before they take the test. Same with a CDL.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Call your DMV and ask if your other driver must drive your rig to the test site, or they just have to be in the co-pilot seat.
Can anyone note from personal experience whether either is actually required in Nevada? (some states care about this and some don't.) I couldn't find any reference to a requirement to have a licensed person with you anywhere in the Nevada DMV pages (not that that means anything.) Yes, I know you can call the DMV but in my experience that often yields an answer about as accurate as flipping a coin.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Can anyone note from personal experience whether either is actually required in Nevada? (some states care about this and some don't.) I couldn't find any reference to a requirement to have a licensed person with you anywhere in the Nevada DMV pages (not that that means anything.) Yes, I know you can call the DMV but in my experience that often yields an answer about as accurate as flipping a coin.
I moved to NV from ID about three years ago and was required to get a Class B license for my MH. The examiner never asked to see my DL before the driving test. After we were done, and I had passed, I asked her if she ever checks driver's licenses before testing. She said no as they are only a licensing agency, not an enforcement agency. This was in Carson City.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I moved to NV from ID about three years ago and was required to get a Class B license for my MH. The examiner never asked to see my DL before the driving test. After we were done, and I had passed, I asked her if she ever checks driver's licenses before testing. She said no as they are only a licensing agency, not an enforcement agency.
Yes, that is most typical in my experience although a few (mostly in the east it seems) do check such things just to add an infuriating bit of bureaucracy to the process.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Don't feel like you guys are the only state that has that requirement, California has a very similar requirement, and if you go over I think it's either 15K or 16K, they require a non-commercial class A license.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Yes, that is most typical in my experience although a few (mostly in the east it seems) do check such things just to add an infuriating bit of bureaucracy to the process.
That's correct. I am only talking about my experience in NV. I know that either NC or MD, possibly both, definitely requires a properly licensed driver to accompany the applicant for the driving test.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #11

I was just at the DMV renewing my license when I saw this stuff on the website about non-commercial RV license. I don't tow over 10k lbs, my toad is about 5k. But my RV is over 40,000lbs. So do I need the same endorsement ("J") and maybe a non-commercial class A license? I was under the impression I didn't need such a license, and nobody at the DMV or even the insurance company told me anything when I registered my last RV in NV?
RV Dragoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:13 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Dragoz View Post
I was just at the DMV renewing my license when I saw this stuff on the website about non-commercial RV license. I don't tow over 10k lbs, my toad is about 5k. But my RV is over 40,000lbs. So do I need the same endorsement ("J") and maybe a non-commercial class A license? I was under the impression I didn't need such a license, and nobody at the DMV or even the insurance company told me anything when I registered my last RV in NV?
With your towed weighing less than 10,000 lbs and your coach weighing greater than 26,000 lbs, you need a non-commercial class B.
Nevada Driver Licenses and ID Cards (click on the link with a picture of a motorhome)

Don't expect the DMV employees to be very knowledgable on these requirements since it is not something they deal with very often. Sometimes you pretty much need to tell them what you need.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #13

Anyone get their J yet?
Old 09-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Dragoz View Post
I am not an expert, but I have come to the conclusion I need as a nevada resident a Non-commercial Class A License because my MH is over the 26,000 lbs limit. I only need a J endorsement if I tow something over 10,000 lbs.
signet63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver