Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #1

Place to work on 43' RV in Las Vegas?

Hi,
I would like to find a spot in Las Vegas area where I can do service work on my RV to ensure it's safe to drive to Michigan. Need a spot for about a week in a couple of weeks from today (10/17).

I have tried most all RV camping spots (no service allowed), most storage yards (no space, no availability, no service allowed), most RV service facilities (no DIY service), and even found a DIY repair place (would have been perfect, but they can't use the parking lot and their service bays are too small).

Anyone have some property they would like to make some rental income? I will completely respect the property (no fluid spills, no late night noise etc).

I am an ASE Master Certified Mechanic and will be self supporting.

Thanx for any tips that can be provided!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting problem, hadn't thought about fix's/serious work on the road that would take a week.

I've only seen one situation where a guy broke down on the way to a rally in Indiana, and he had the coach towed to the campground where he had previous reservations. He was a mechanic type and was going to work on it there (cooling/water pump problem). Don't know what arrangements he made with the CG owner.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #3

Yeah, it's been difficult finding a place. Much worse trying to do this remotely. All have been very nice, but no place expects you to work on your own RV on their property. I am sure they are worried about hazardous waste spills, liability if I hit my finger with my hammer, etc.

On top of that, the storage places have limited large spots, and generally all are already booked long term. I guess if you live in same area, you would put yourself on a multi-month wait list...but I don't have that benefit of time.

If I could find a campground that would be accommodating, that would be the perfect situation. So far, no luck there.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:49 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Would a dry camping spot serve your purpose? Like in the area around Quartsite or similar.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:38 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
This place may have changed by now, but I would take a drive over to SNS Truck Wash and Detail and talk to Mike the owner, and see he has a spot he would rent you for a week or so? There is a building right behind where he washes the semi's, that has a bay in it that is a paint booth, and is long enough to get your coach in, and the last time I was there, (4 years ago or so) was just sitting empty! This is something I would go and talk to him in person about, and see if he knows any place? His place is at 1100 E. Colton Ave. North Las Vegas. 702-269-9696

I would think you could find a warehouse space somewhere in town that is empty, and would rent to you for a month or so? Maybe longer? Lots of empty warehouses around Vegas!
Good Luck! Rail!
PS, you can tell Mike that the guy from Landstar, that hauled slot machines, with the big red Freighliner, that retired and moved to Thailand reffered you to him! Hahahaha!
Old 10-31-2017, 04:03 PM   #6

How about the campground at the Clark County shooting range? It might be worth a call. It’s all gravel and no trees. They may not have as many restrictions.
Cheezehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:40 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
i think it might be what you are going to do or not do
you might scare off rv parks by asking
i have seen many people work on there rvs in parks
if you are not droping the motor or something big like that you might be ok
Old 10-31-2017, 08:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What happens if you find an RV park and then "discover" you have issues that need repair?
Old 11-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #9

Hi All, thank you for your input. I lucked out and found a spot in the industrial area of Las Vegas. The owner has been absolutely great. I am there now getting things done!

72 and sunny with a breeze..nice!
Old 12-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #10

As an update, all repairs done, and RV with car trailer / car made it up and over Vail pass with ease. Back in Michigan getting the minor stuff done (including winterizing :( ) Thanx for the feedback!

Tags
ace, gas