Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-24-2005, 08:08 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What's a good month to visit the Grand Canyon next Spring. Planning on stopping by Las Vegas and then onto the Grand Canyon. Would like to beat the heat as much as possible and avoid the snow. Where's the best place to view the Canyon......I've never been there. Also planning a stop at the Hoover Dam. Also, what's a good way to travel from the Hoover Dam to the Canyon. Thanks for the info.
Brian
PS: will be driving a Southwind 32VS
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2005, 08:08 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What's a good month to visit the Grand Canyon next Spring. Planning on stopping by Las Vegas and then onto the Grand Canyon. Would like to beat the heat as much as possible and avoid the snow. Where's the best place to view the Canyon......I've never been there. Also planning a stop at the Hoover Dam. Also, what's a good way to travel from the Hoover Dam to the Canyon. Thanks for the info.
Brian
PS: will be driving a Southwind 32VS
Old 11-25-2005, 12:30 PM   #3

Well, I'd go in mid April at the soonist. Aprl and even early May are sill okay temperature wise for Vegas and snow, while still a possibility, is pretty remote for Grand Canyon.

I'd take 93/95 to Boulder, stop and visit the dam and then, depending on the weather, take either 93 to Kingman or 95 down to Needles. Either way you will tie into I-40 and head east to State 64 which take you up to the canyon.

If you are going to continue East on 40 I suggest you stop in Winslow and go "stand on the corner". Also Winslow is home to the La Posada Hotel which is worth a stay or at least a meal.

I-40 roughly parallels old Route 66 so there is lots to see and do (if you plan head).

One '04 Journey 34' w/350 CAT
Barney B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:07 AM   #4

"Well, I'd go in mid April at the soonist"
id agree with Barney as april is still kinda cold up there...
now... there is a new skywalk http://www.destinationgrandcanyon.com/pressrelease.html
its on the west side of the canyon
it sounds realy neat to do, we are thinking about goin up around the 1st week in may..
Old 11-26-2005, 04:35 AM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Barney;

I agree, May is best. The kids around here dont get out of school until late in May so it won't be over ran. You didn't say where you were staying, but If you decide on a place be shure its open. Some are closed till mid Apr and May, they have a season up there.

As far as crossing the dam goes, if you can go down in a car its better its a 2 lane bridge and they are still doing inspections on it. We went that way a few weeks ago and it was very slow and crowded, bunper to bumper. If you cross the dam , the road back to 40 is good once you get out of the canyon. As far as the best place to view the canyon , its all spectacular to see. There are many view points, we like walking the rim a little and looking around. And there are trails for that. We have only been to the south rim so cant speak of the north rim.

Have fun.