Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #15

If you are coming from Toronto I think your plans are a bit ambitious. You are at least three days from the Four Corners area of Utah and that's a pretty hefty three days. That also assumes you have no hassles at the Border which can tie up some time. If you are planning this trip for a 2.5 week long vacation you will be hustling to get even most of it in. When we took this trip we actually left the RV at home and flew into Vegas and just rented a car. Yeah, it's not as cool as being in our own home on wheels but for the time we had, it was the most practical use of our time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #16

We did the West but not the West Coast this summer. 4 months! You have 12 days. As was suggested you might want to break up the West into 2 parts, North and South.

The northern route would take you to Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Little Big Horn Memorial, Cody Wy, Yellowstone and The Tetons. That will more than fill up 12 days.

The southern route can take you to Telluride, CO, Mesa Verde, Capitol Reef, Kodachrome Basin, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Moab, Zion, and the Grand Canyon.

However you do this you will be rushed. My opinion is to not try and take in so many places but rather spend a little more time in each.

Some of the best camping is not even listed here. Try Sheradon Lake National Forest near Sturges/Mt Rushmore or Flaming Gorge in Utah/WY.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3405.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	222215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3176.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	455.8 KB
ID:	222216  

Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:49 PM   #17

Trip

What a no class move, a political ad in the response !!
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukiman View Post
What a no class move, a political ad in the response !!

HUH???
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #19

We have done the Grand Canyon area twice. Its at least 33 hours straight drive to the south rim from Toronto. We took a week to get there last year, stopping all along route 66 spots, as well as the Tram at Albuquerque, Beringer Crater, the Petrified Forest, and several other points of interest. I would suggest getting to the Grand Canyon area and doing a circle around it for a few hundred miles in all directions. This would take in the Beringer Crater, Petrified Forest, Flagstaff, Sedona, Williams, Oatman, Peach Springs road to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, Kingman, then on to Las Vegas. Go north from there into Utah to Zion Np and Bryce Canyon. From there go to Page with the slot canyons and Glen Canyon dam, Lake Powell. Leaving there you could take in Monument Valley if you have time. All this would still be too much to do in 12 days, but it could be done. I would make Yellowstone a different trip, as there is much to see in that part of the country. It could easily be another trip in itself. I love the Grand Canyon area. We have been there the last two winters, for several months. We go to the desert if its cold, and head up the hill if it warms up. Im sure you will enjoy the trip where ever you go. Closer to home, we stopped at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan near Detroit. I have to say, I have been to most of the Smithsonian Museums in Washington DC, and many more, and the Ford Museum is certain as good or better than any I have been to. Its a must see in my opinion. Much more than just cars. Its world class. Cheers.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Snip:
Closer to home, we stopped at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan near Detroit. I have to say, I have been to most of the Smithsonian Museums in Washington DC, and many more, and the Ford Museum is certain as good or better than any I have been to. Its a must see in my opinion. Much more than just cars. Its world class. Cheers.

Agree. They had to kick me out at closing time.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Arch.....

I'm with you - HUH????????
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #22

Since it sounds like you've spent some time in the Canadian Rockies, I'd skip Rocky mountain national park and come through Colorado more to the south. The Kids would probably love the Silverton train from Durango to Silverton. Personally I'd only take the train one way and use the bus the other direction.

Something the kids probably haven't seen yet would be ancient Indian Ruins, and Mesa Verde National Park is a great spot to take in some remarkable ruins. I remember loving them when I was a kid, and my daughter loved them when she was around your kids age.

From the Mesa Verde area, I would head through Capitol Reef national Park then through hwy 12 thru Escalante to Bryce canyon, which again will be quite a bit different than the types of areas you've already explored. Arches national park and Goblin Valley state park are areas kids tend to enjoy, and you could work them in prior to Capitol Reef, but it would probably add more time than you have. Goblin Valley in particular is a spot where kids can play on rocks, and in small caverns and tend to have a great time doing so. There is also a neat slot canyon nearby to explore.

From Bryce Canyon, you have a couple of options for the Grand Canyon. The South Rim tends to be the most popular, but will add a fair bit mileage wise to your trip. Hitting the North Rim, you cut the mileage down, and have fewer crowds, but many folks think the views aren't as spectacular. Zion National park is an option as you leave the Grand Canyon, it's an area I love, particularly if you have time to hike some of the more remote sections.

From The Grand Canyon area, It's north to Yellowstone, and personally I'd come in through Grand Teton National park to get there. Yellowstone National park has a lot of features you won't find anywhere else in the world, and I particularly love exploring there and have done so dozens of times over my lifetime. It amazes me every time.

Sounds like a great adventure awaits you guys

Tags
arizona, cat, colorado