Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #1

Alaska Bound

We're Alaska bound come June. We'd like to go all the way to the Arctic traveling the Dalton Hwy(Hwy 11). Has anyone done this in a 31 foot class A or similar RV? We'll be towing a small TC, so do we leave the RV somewhere and proceed in the TC? Leave the TC and take the RV? Any and all suggestions regarding Alaska will greatly be appreciated.
Srfromeht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srfromeht View Post
We're Alaska bound come June. We'd like to go all the way to the Arctic traveling the Dalton Hwy(Hwy 11). Has anyone done this in a 31 foot class A or similar RV? We'll be towing a small TC, so do we leave the RV somewhere and proceed in the TC? Leave the TC and take the RV? Any and all suggestions regarding Alaska will greatly be appreciated.

We made the trip several years ago. We left the RV in Fairbanks and drove as far as Coldfoot truck stop. We couldn't go further due to time constraints. I've always regretted not getting all the way to DeadHorse. It will take some prior planning as over night facilities are limited. There are commercial companies who run vans up regularly.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #3

A few years ago I motorcycled to Alaska with two friends. One wanted to pan for gold, the other wanted to stand on a glacier, and I wanted to go to the Arctic Circle. Their objective was easily accomplished while motorcycling. However, using our better judgement, we rented a car in Fairbanks and drove to the Arctic Circle, 66.5 degrees latitude, took a picture, and headed back south. As an aside, the car rental company expressly stated that we were not covered to travel the "haul road". As it turned out, we did have a flat on the way and had to buy a new tire before returning the car.

Needless to say, it can be done on a motorcycle or in an RV, however, the road is not your friend - it is the lifeline of the big rigs that make their money hauling stuff. Most of them do not give you a "courtesy pass" (i.e. slow down so the gravel doesn't splatter you) in either direction. The traffic is not so heavy now-a-days since the oil boom has slowed to a trickle, but there is still enough traffic to make a person nervous every time one of those behemoths comes into view.

If you are really serious about making the trip, I would suggest taking your toad and a good spare tire (or two). A couple other options would be to rent a car or take a tour bus.

STAY SAFE!
Old 10-11-2017, 03:46 AM   #4

how was your trip? we are leaving from Vermont to Fairbanks June 2018 and we're thinking of taking the toad to Deadhorse. were you able to access the pipe line road and actually reach shore? did you see any Polar Bears? any tips ? we have a pilot friend who lives in Fairbanks with several airplanes. we are staying on his property and doing day trips or overnights with the toad (a 2017 chev colorado ) and taking the planes for trips not accessible by motor vehicle. so we have good access to see everything thank you
Chrisspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #5

Alaska

Hi. We loved AK so much that we're planning on spending next summer there. After experiencing some of the "every day" roads and speaking with others about the conditions to go, we elected not to make the trip on the Dalton. Flying was not in our budget this year. Based on the info we got, may I suggest having your friend fly you to Barrows? You don't have to deal with the pipeline security and can just walk up to the ocean. AK has what they call "waysides" where you just pull in and spend the night. A lot of them are off the main hwy and quite nice. My husband fished a stream beside one of the waysides and caught his first salmon! I got a picture of a brown bear with a salmon in his mouth! Might want to check out "The traveler's guide to AK Camping" by Mike and Terri Church and "The Milepost" which covers not only AK but also Yukon, BC, Alberta and the northwest territories I could go on and on but I'll just end with saying you won't regret going to AK.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #6

How did it work out towing the TC and using it to explore? After our trip last year, I am convinced that would be the way to really enjoy the more out of the way places.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #7

Toad and Alaska

We had no problems towing our Tc which is low to the ground. We're off the road boondockers as much as possible and put our Tc through many challenges! I would suggest buying or making at least headlamp and windshield protectors. We bought a bra. We had a solar above ground pool cover, so made the windshield and head light protectors out of that but they also maybe purchased. Feel free to contact me and I can give you details on how we winged it. Sorry I didn't reply sooner but was boondocking and had no cell or wifi service.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:40 AM   #8

Thanks for the reply. Did you leave your motorhome in campgrounds when you headed out in the TC, or did you find other relatively secure places to park it while you explored?

I understand about the protection for the toad. We towed our jeep up with absolutely no protection. Fortunately, we did not break anything, but it certainly has a nice "Alaska Highway" look about it now.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #9

Trip to AK

Hello, I have never taking a RV north but worked in different places from the slope to the islands. Take several tires & cover your toad. You problably need a new wind shield by the time you get back.
Don't take the Casiare (not sure how to spell it) it is the west road that meets up with the Ak highway. It is shorter but the truck run that road & you wouldn't like meeting them.
You can see the pipeline north of Fairbanks & different places you can walk up to it. I wouldn't drive the slope road. Take a van, after you get north of Attitan pass it is hundred of miles of nothing but flat tundra. As a person said there is very limited places to stay or get help.
Go to Seward & take the Exit Rd up to Exit glacier. You can walk up to it & touch it. Pay attention to the signs besides the road, they are where the glacier was at that year. Very interesting. Any question email me.
Craneboy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #10

Alaska

We boondocked whenever we could and often left the RV while we went exploring with no problems. Some of the sites were isolated while others could be seen from the road. I'd recommend The Milepost and Alaskan Camping by Mike and Terri Church for info on different sites/camp grounds-both commercial and government. The Milepost is also great on road conditions.
The most common hwy signs in Ak are "Road Damage", "Construction for the next _____ miles" or "Loose Gravel" Some of the road are really rough but doable if you take your time. The Cassiar from Watson Lake YK towards BC route 16 is unpaved and washboard for 10-15 KM and then is a very enjoyable ride. If you wish to see multiple glaciers and waterfalls while driving, take Hwy 37A(Stewart-Hyder hwy) It's paved pass Hyder up until the Fish Creek Observation Center(got my pic of bear with salmon in his/her mouth there). Reaching Salmon Glacier is only recommended with truck or other high clearance heavy duty vehicle in my option. That is the only road we turned back on.
Hiking to the top of Exit Glacier is one of the highlights of our trip. Also enjoyed the Ak Sealife Center and the Kenai Fjords are a national park for a reason.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #11
GBB

I've been driving the haul road for the past 15 or so years every Sept pulling a 24' boat to the Yukon river. Ive also driven all the way to Prudoe back before the road was open to the public. Some years the road is good and some years not, especially if its been raining. Have had to use 4x4 to get up some hills. Truck traffic isnt as bad as it use to be but they will shower you with gravel when they pass. I've seen Class C's on the road but most were rentals. No way i would take a nice MH wether an "A" or "C" up that road.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #12

An alternative to consider is the Dempster Highway which now goes all the way to the coast at Tuk. Supposedly a lot less big trucks to worry about