Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:03 AM   #1

Class C into Crater Lake

We are traveling Oregon/Washington. Can be in the Crater Lake area Wednesday. What's the feasibility of getting a Class C into Crater Lake? Looks like there has been some snow in the mountains, Ranier still has a chain restriction but didn't see any such for Crater Lake. Most of the stuff around here is pretty RV friendly, but can anyone give me advice on going to Crater Lake? Both general feasibility in getting a Class C to the Summit (Jayco Greyhawk 31 FS), but also is there any snow up there? Also any tips/way to tell real time what the conditions are at the lake itself--I've heard that if it's not a clear, sunny day it will change a lot in how the lake looks....
FishNFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #2

Last time I drove to Crater Lake ( years back in late May) the road was open but with 4' snow banks along the side; many parking lots hadn't been plowed out.
Unless you get replies from someone in the area now , I'd say a call to the park service is in order.
I have a web address for all of OR web cams , I'll retrieve it and re-post.

Ok I got back in time to add to this post.
http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCmap...RoadConditions

Let me know if this doesn't work , I may have put in a capital O instead of a zero
Old 04-13-2015, 05:31 AM   #3

It had some light snow Saturday .....and this Monday evening into Tuesday snow level is supposed to be about 3K'. They said maybe 2-6 inches but then weather changes and nice for the next 5 days after that.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. Called Park Service and they said its day to day on the ice. We'll call again Tuesday shooting for a Wednesday trip. Assuming the roads themselves are clear, it is reasonable to get a MH up there, right? We have found most places around here very RV friendly, and I'm guessing they get tour busses up there. But we did get into a tight spot or two at the beaches. Would hate to magnify a tight turnaround by snow for some Texas folks.......oK to take an RV to the rim, or at least reasonable walking distance to it?
FishNFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #5

Heck, there will be some snow up there at the end of June... but it's not normally an issue except of the day of the storm. I had my 40' DP up there with no issues, although from the Crater Lake Lodge south (if you are traversing noth-to-south) there's a fairly steep drop, so be mindful of your brakes...

Steve
Old 04-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be sure to take the boat trip on the lake before lunch. Don't pass it up!.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #7

We took our 31FS into Crater Lake with no problems. I did have Ford swap the rear differential from the open rear differential to a Ford Factory TracLoc differential. We used the MH to tour the whole park. We had two newborns and a 7 year old. It was much simpler that via car. It was very nice to have a flush toilet, refrigerator and stove.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c