Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:04 PM   #1

Do you winterize in Western Washington?

Greetings!
This will be our first winter in our "new" '01 Journey. We will be parking at Public Storage outdoors with no power. I plan to get rig out for at least a short drive at least once a month, and run generator. I have some questions:
1. Do most of you winterize in this climate area?
2. Is it just water system and covering tires to worry about?
3. I read that day nite blinds lose their crease form if left down. Do you use cardboard in windows to protect from UV in winter? Or leave day/nite blinds up or down?
4. Do you wait till November to do anything ? Or wait for big freeze forecast? Or?

Any advice will be appreciated?
Thx in advance.
Jim
Seacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #2

1. Yes. It can freeze pipes, especially if you have no heat source. I have had to replace pipes damaged by freezing. I blow out the lines but only put antifreeze in the drains.
2. I never covers tires except in Arizona. I almost always cover it to protect the finish from tree sap.
3. I've never had problems with blinds. What UV? It's cloudy all winter here. I never thought about it, but I had the cover.
4. I always tried to get it done before November unless I had plans to use the rig. Same for spring, I de-winterize based on planned use.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #3

What do you call Western Washington? My TT is stored in North Boneville WA which is along the Columbia river in SW WA. Two years ago I84 and WA 14 were closed for a few days due to an ice storm. Temps were in the single to low double digits. So yep I winterize every winter. I cover my tires but mine is also in a covered storage. Probably not needed but what the heck.....
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #4

We camp year round. When there is a threat of a hard freeze, I blow out the lines and fittings with air, fill the traps with anti freeze and drain the water heater and fresh tanks.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I winterized last winter for a couple of months. I pumped antifreeze through using the trailers water pump. I was a little overly paranoid, used three gallons. I used the more expensive Sta-Bil brand RV antifreeze that didn't leave any aftertaste in the water system. I'm glad I did, as there were a few nights just outside of Vancouver WA that dipped a few degrees below freezing. I also added anti freeze to the drains.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/STA-BIL-R...eeze/838540502

If you have a decent oilless air compressor you could buy a little adapter to use it to blow the lines out. Don't use more than 35 PSi is what I've heard.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/36103-Pla...amco/829819906
Old 11-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I winterize my Class A when the forecast looks to be freezing. I got back from a trip last weekend and blew out all the lines and drained all fresh water when we got back. Mostly because the temps have been getting down into the high 20's overnight.

Taking it out again next weekend so ill have to refill it with water. I will probably leave the furnace on overnight at like 40 or 50 degrees to prevent it from freezing.

If I am going out on a trip on back to back weekends then ill just run the furnace but if its 2+ weeks between trips ill winterize. Running the air compressor and using a $3 jug of antifreeze is pretty cheap compared to plumbing repairs.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:43 AM   #7

Yeah, it's extremely cold. You really need good heat sources to keep yourself warm and comfortable.
Joseph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #8

This year and last I have not, the cold weather we have experienced was not sustaining and a deep freeze not happening. My coach is stored close to the house and if need be I can winterize it in 15 minutes. I will say it is stored with tanks and lines purged but no anti-freeze.

-Kevin
Old 02-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacrazy View Post
Greetings!
This will be our first winter in our "new" '01 Journey. We will be parking at Public Storage outdoors with no power. I plan to get rig out for at least a short drive at least once a month, and run generator. I have some questions:
1. Do most of you winterize in this climate area?
2. Is it just water system and covering tires to worry about?
3. I read that day nite blinds lose their crease form if left down. Do you use cardboard in windows to protect from UV in winter? Or leave day/nite blinds up or down?
4. Do you wait till November to do anything ? Or wait for big freeze forecast? Or?

Any advice will be appreciated?
Thx in advance.
Jim
It is a good idea to always do it. Some years it is not necessary but most years we have a month or so that the temps get down far enough to warrant it.
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #10

Hope I did it right, blew air thru lines & dumped some pink anti freeze in the taps, disconnected chassis batteries and cut the power switch. It’s supposed to get down to mid teens tonight, and have at storage facility without electrical hook up.

I was thinking about running generator tomorrow for a couple hours to recharge batteries and heat interior a little. Would it be better to just leave everything alone until after snowmageddon is over in a week?
Seacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:52 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you can, take the batteries home, put them on an automatic charger. Running the gennie is more to dry out the coils of copper wire than to heat up the trailer.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mh stored beside the stick house on 20 amp power. When the temps get below freezing I turn the AquaHot burner on. Usually I have it on 30 amp power but the plug broke, weather got bad and I got pneumonia so I didn't get the new plug installed in time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:34 AM   #13

I ran my water pump to empty the fresh water tank and lines , then I drove to the sewer plant and emptied my tanks but I too have my rig in our driveway with a space heater and a dehumidifier running. If the weather were to be forecast as severe, I would add anti-freeze maybe.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 03:47 PM   #14

Nope. I'm in Renton Highlands but RV is in storage near Renton Airport.

Never have. I empty the fresh water tank and drain the gray/black. Done.

I do use a terry cloth towel and lay over the lines/pump coming from the fresh water tank to pump. The RV is covered from ~ late Oct to roughly April/May. I pour in Sta-Bil treatment then top off fuel tank. Run generator for 20 min or so. Done.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter