RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #1

we will be heading to washington and want to see mt. rainier. we want to travel south down the coast from there.

i have looked around on here for some camping spots. i will be getting a book for state parks, national parks.

we will probably head to yosemite from washington. we will be in a 35' seneca with a trailer. i am thinking we should stay outside of the parks and just drive the toad in. we used to have a lance and drove it everywhere.

just not sure where else we really should see or do.

if anyone would like to inform us of your trips and what you have experienced to help us plan ours, that would be great.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2009, 04:29 AM   #2

An excellent park to visit while touring Mt. Rainier would be "Alder Lake Park"
Reservations Sunny Beach Point Rocky Point Rules Fees

Alder Lake Park
50324 School Rd., Eatonville, WA 98328

Reservations: 1-888-CAMPOUT
(226-7688)

Fishing and recreation line:
1-888-502-8690

Park office: (360) 569-2778

Alder Lake Park
Latitude: N 46 47 57.5
Longitude: W 122 17 39.1

Rocky Point
Latitude: N 46 46 27.7
Longitude: W 122 13 10.9

Download the Alder Lake Park Brochure.

About Alder Lake Park
Year-round camping (Park is closed December 20 through January 1)
173 individual campsites at four campgrounds: Main, Osprey, Elk Plain and Rocky Point
37 with water, electric and sewer hookups
74 with water and electric hookups
62 tent sites
20-site group camp area with water, electric and sewer hookups
Two day-use areas
Stacel Point open year round except December 20 through January 1
Sunny Beach Point open from May 15 to September 15, lake level permitting
Two boat launches open year round, lake level permitting
Fire rings and picnic tables in all campsites
Coin-operated showers
Wheelchair accessible restrooms
Water faucets throughout campground
Ring around the campfire
With its expansive campgrounds and great location, Alder Lake Park makes it easy to answer the call of the wild. Campers can choose between sites in the three campgrounds at Alder Lake Park or they can drive a few miles down the road and stay at the more solitary Rocky Point.

The 161-acre Alder Lake Park offers options for everyone from traditional tent campers to those who want more of the comforts of home like water, electric and sewer hookups.

Rocky Point campground, which is about 4 miles east of the main park entrance on Highway 7, has 25 sites with water and electric hookups.

Apply Online for Individual Campsites
Bring your buddies
Round up your friends and family and reserve sites in Alder Lake Park’s group camp area. All 20 sites have water, electric and sewer hookups. You must reserve at least five sites, so plan ahead for your family reunion, team gathering or any other occasion that brings people together. The group camp has a kitchen shelter with barbecue grills, sinks and electrical outlets, a restroom with showers and areas for outdoor fun.

Any unreserved spots in the group camp area will be available to other campers. If you’d like a larger area for your group, you must reserve and pay for the additional sites.

Willynojob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you haven't seen it you should visit St. Helens. A good S.P. in the area that you can fit into is Seaquest. Then Hwy 12 to the coast. Ocean City SP or Greyland SP can accommodate you. Further south is Cape Disappointment SP. If you are coming all this way you really should do the Olympic National Park. A personal favorite. Up the east side Hwy 101. Dosewallips SP then down the west side Hwy 101 (again/still). Stay in Klaloch if you can get reservation in I think A or B loop.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have time, take the Future of Flight Aviation Center & Boeing Tour in Everett. The Space Needle, Duck Boats, Seattle Underground Tour, Pike's Market are all things to see and do while in the Seattle area.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #5

great ideas. thanks a lot. that boeing tour is right up my husbands alley. but, i think i will need to find a doggie day care for the day during that tour..
Old 01-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Actually we are very animal friendly out here and doggie day cares are not that difficult to find. There is even a 5 star hotel in downtown Seattle that not only welcomes dogs but encourages them. Complete with their own day spa's. Instead of pet sitting they will take you dog behind the check in counter while you go out.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We stayed in a RV Park in Everett and is about 10 minutes to Boeing. We left our dog in the RV while we did the Boeing tour. It is about 2 hours by the time you see the movie, take the tour, and visit the gift shop. We did not do the museum tour. The only Doggie Day Care we found that would take our dog on short notice was on the North edge of Seattle. We took him there while we toured Seattle. You might want to do some calling ahead to see what the Doggie Day Cares require.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #8

i will do an internet search before hand and find out if anyone would recommend one vs. another.

most of the time i am able to take the dogs where we go. shhh.. don't tell anyone but, i put them in a stroller (it's like a crate on wheels) and they are very well behaved.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:11 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jeff & Cheryl: Just read this post of yours and see you've decided NOT to head to Alaska this year. Might be best, cause the 5 weeks or so that ya mentioned on your Alaska thread might have been kinda tight....there's just so much up North to see!!! Your NW coast trip will be great. The Olympic Peninsula and the Oregon coast will be highlights. Be sure to spend a little time in Depot Bay, OR. Have fun. Steve & Lynette
Old 03-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I would suggest you give yourself quite a bit of time to explore the Oregon Coast. There are many State Parks and private campgrounds on the route. Just out of Tillamook there is an aviation museum. Also, between the coast and I-5 in McMinnville, OR is the aviation museum where the Spruce Goose is housed. There is a very beautiful botanical garden (Shore Acres) on Cape Arago Highway out of Coos Bay.
sharbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
You really should see the Mt Hood area in the Oregon cascades. The highest peak in Oregon, year around skiing, impressive lakes and forested hills, with plenty of Forest Service camping. For my money, Mt Hood is far more scenic than Rainier. Also, I agree with others that the Oregon coast is a must-see, as it is some of the most rugged and spectacular in the world.

steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote