RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #15

Please! Have not made the trip yet! Still planning and appreciate the comments. We will leave south Alabama at Labor day (2019) and explore the wonders of The Big Sky.
I would love to do the fishing trip there and in Idaho, at some other time in the future.
I have no doubt that all the recommendations are super. NO ONE recommends things that are not great, I know I don't.
We have been to all the five national parks in Utah, all over the northeast coast, the Florida Keys, across Canada, but I am most excited about Montana than any of the previous.
Thanks Again!!

winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #16

I hauled wine to montana every week for 2 years I have been on most of the highways but have seen very little of the state. My favorite drive would be from the hiway 20 in Idaho out to the hwy 191 you hit it in west Yellowstone and follow the Gallatin River for 100 plus miles comes into Bozeman area or take the 87/287 comes out in three forks montana some of the most beautiful drive I have ever been on and the wild game along those hwys is unreal. happy travels

Old 05-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #17

Greg20d,
I love those roads too! I love the drive from Red Lodge up the Bear Tooth Highway to Cooke City it is absolutely amazing. Another neat place is the natural bridge picnic area South of Big Timber Montana 40min.
https://www.google.com/search?q=natu...-CD3sfjGeirNM:

The water only runs over the top of this falls during the spring melt off but it is absolutely amazing, it doesn't look like it but it is 108ft from the lip to the pool, in 2008 a 21 year old kayaker went over it and survived. Beautiful valley, and just past the falls up a gravel road a ways is a little camp ground.

Another area I went to after living here my whole life is just down the interstate towards Butte from highway 287 that Greg20d was talking about is Ringing Rocks at Pipestone. So cool! There is only 3 places in the world like this and I have one of them in my back yard only 55 miles away. One of the other ones is in Pennsylvania and the other one is in Australia. You can hit them with a hammer, a wrench, tire Iron, or even another Rock. Was a great place to see. Not sure what you're traveling in, but if you're pulling a trailer you can get there with a pickup.

winnbrave1,
Let me know, would love to steer you to some areas around here. FF
freedomflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:54 PM   #18

Like I said this is best viewed during the spring melt off during the middle or end of May but is interesting and beautiful throughout the year. During the hot summer months after the run off, the river water actually disappears underground through some under ground channels called Solution channels and comes out the lower part of the falls.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #19

If you plan on going into the North Western part of the state up to Glacier National Park you'd be in for a real treat it is by far my favorite part of our state. I can never get enough of seeing these mountains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glacier National Park 8-11 106.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	499.7 KB
ID:	244850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake McDonald (5).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	244851  

Name:	Glacier August 2010 Nikon P80_0874a.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	244852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glacier National Park 8-11 125.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	244853  

Name:	Lake McDonald (9).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	244854  
Old 05-05-2019, 09:00 PM   #20

Keep in mind you may start seeing road closures due to snow in early September in some places some years.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:28 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Earthquake Lake is just off 191 a disaster caused by an earthquake that caused a mountain slide which upset the lake flooding a campground... there is very intresting museum and tribute to those who were killed.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:44 PM   #22

Issac-1 you are right about that, the "Going to the Sun" highway can and has gotten snow in July so Glacier may be an issue. Great reminder. But there are a lot of wonderful places to visit still in Early September. Quake Lake is pretty interesting, Kind of hits close to home for me, my folks were camping at Cliff and Wade lakes that weekend, a mere 7 1/2 miles from where the mountain side slid down. They had actually driven through that campground and had planned on staying there but it was full so they moved on over to Cliff and Wade Lake campground. I wasn't born yet but my dad told me that it was very strange the first night they were there. There were no insects, no birds, no deer or wild life, and he said when they went out onto the lake all the fish were in groups along the shore all facing towards where the earthquake happened and they weren't biting. He got up to go fishing the next day, the day/night of the earthquake, and it was the same, no bugs, or animals of any kind, and the same thing with the fish. He packed up my older 3 brothers, older sister and pregnant mom and left. That night they were staying at my moms parents house in Three Forks 90 miles away when it happened. Had there been a spot open in that campground nobody would be reading this, LOL, the weird behavior of the fish in the lake is why my dad decided to leave. Is a pretty cool visitors center to read about it all. Definitely worth the stop.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
May be an old thread but appreciate it being here and the recent updates so I can get ideas for our July wandering out there.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:57 AM   #24

Skyline Owners Group
If you are traveling on I90 then I think one of the "must see" stops is the famous

50,000 silver dollar bar. Of course they are upwards of 70,000 now.

Very unique stop and it's right off the interstate:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/7713
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #25

We are well into our trip to Montana. Have made note of the many good suggestions that have been presented.
We are currently staying at Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park near Mandan and Bismarck. This has been a great stay, and would highly recommend this place to anyone.
Beautiful campground (no sewer though), plenty of trees, and good campsites. The only issue is, some of the sites have the power pedestal and water at different ends of the site. It is on the Missouri and Heart rivers.
The camp ground encompasses the old fort, the Mandan 0n-a-slant reconstructed village and meuseum, and the re-contructed Custer house.
Took day trips to Fort Rice, great sites there for camping. Also to Fort Yates, Standing Rock. Also, visited Sitting Bulls grave, some controversy that his relatives dug up his bones and moved them to South Dakota. At Sitting Bull College, they have Sitting Bulls chiefs headdress on display.
Also we took a day trip to Louis and Clark Interpretive Center, great place, Fort Mandan, and Knife River Indian Village Historical Site.
It rained heavily, so stayed and extra day here and hit the antique stores.
Will head out tomorrow for Theodore Roosevelt National Park for a couple days, and then to The Big Sky state.

winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana