Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:56 PM   #1

Montana must see trip

This September we will be visiting some friends in Minnesota. Have been wanting to head into the Big Sky Country to see what the rural side of the state has to offer.
Don't wish to spend much time in the cities, unless there is a "must see" there.
I love the historical side of the state, want to see where Chief Joseph was ambushed by the calvary at those battle grounds, go where Custer met his fate, etc. Also, some of the rugged beauty side of the state. My wife and I can't hike the rugged areas due to health limitations, but an due the easier stuff.
Would love to hear from ya'll what we need to try to see, that may not be on the road map.
Will spend about a month,traveling in our 32' Georgetown with a toad.
Thanks for your suggestions!
winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #2

The Beartooth Highway is spectacular. Its been awhile so I'm not too sure how well a MH would do. Might want to park it and use the toad. Going-to-the-Sun road in NW Montana is another great drive but likely best done with the toad too. Those two roads alone would make the trip worthwhile.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I ave been to Montana several times and I love the state. There is so much to see and do. The eastern and western parts of the state are so different.

Bozeman (a city) is very interesting, as the Museum of the Rockies which is located here is worth visiting. A side trip to Big Sky is easily done in a day.

Red Lodge, charming town at the base of the Beartooth highway, which is one of the most picturesque highways in America.

Glacier Nat'l Park, we prefer the west side as there's more to do. Going to the Sun Highway is like being in the Alps except the people speak English. Take the Red Bus tour.

Hope this helps.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #4

Besides the Glacier area, one of our favorite stops is Deer Lodge. Visit the sold Montana State Prison which has 7 museums including a good car collection. Also there is the Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic site which is open for tours.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:37 AM   #5

Wow, thanks for those suggestions! Yes, day trips in the toad is a must.
Those places in Bozeman are interesting, I will check them out closer as all the places mentioned.
Thanks for your time to post, would love to see more places to see!
winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #6

Another interesting place to visit is Lee is and Clark SP. It is south of I90 about half way between Butte and Bozeman. The limestone cave is the main attraction besides being located in a scenic river valley along the Jefferson River. The tour of the cavern requires some hiking and contorsions, but it is well worth it if you are physically able.

There is a fairly small campground there but we have not camped there, so I can't comment on it. I would like to visit again and try the campground.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
Another interesting place to visit is Lee is and Clark SP. It is south of I90 about half way between Butte and Bozeman. The limestone cave is the main attraction besides being located in a scenic river valley along the Jefferson River. The tour of the cavern requires some hiking and contorsions, but it is well worth it if you are physically able.

There is a fairly small campground there but we have not camped there, so I can't comment on it. I would like to visit again and try the campground.
That’s Lewis and Clark (as I’m sure you know). The cave is nice indeed but requires a hike up to the entrance and I recall many steps inside.

Montana State Parks :: Lewis & Clark Caverns

If you take the Beartooth to Cooke City, consider then heading south outside the park to Cody. The drive is breathtaking and there are plenty of camping opportunities. Cody has a museum that shouldn’t be missed. But it is in WY.

Great Falls has the Charles Russel museum.

This starts with a Great Falls bias but you’ll find lots of other stuff if you scroll down: https://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...tana/71267898/
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:40 PM   #8

Having driven through Montana and Wyoming a few times in the last 10-15 years, one thing that surprises me about Montana is that it seems you are never that far from civilization (at least houses, or even small communities) if you are on a road. Sure there are vast sections of the state that are unpopulated, but these places also tend to have no road access. By contrast it seems in Wyoming there are many secondary highways through these unpopulated regions and it is possible to drive 50 miles or more in places without any sign of human habitation.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:09 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Last September we went through southwestern Montana stopping at Lewis & Clark Caverns and Bannack State Park/Ghost Town. The tour of the caverns is quite spectacular but as others have noted there is a bit of hiking to get to/from the caverns ( about 1/2 mile each way I believe) along with several hundred steps and some rather tight spots inside the caverns. It is a smaller campground but we enjoyed our time there. The sites have a bit of room between them so you don't feel crowded.

Bannack State Park and Ghost Town is about 2 hours southwest of Lewis & Clark Caverns - about 35 minutes out of Dillon. You can walk through the ghost town and inside many of the ~60 or so buildings. It is easy walking on fairly level wooden boardwalk. I've attached a couple shots looking down the main street. Wherever you decide to go it should be a great trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170909_152122147.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	431.0 KB
ID:	207544   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1380.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	207545  

Old 08-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #10

Don't miss Casey Anderson's Grizzly Encounter just a few miles east of Bozeman on the south side of the highway. Brutus is usually there along with four others. You can sit less than 25' from them with little more than a dry moat between you (all are tame or semi-tame for the care takers).

Yes, Glacier NP. East or west sides ... or both. Been there many times. Never gets old.

And, yes, Beartooth Hwy. Stay in Red Lodge on the north end or Cooke City to the south(west). Chief Joe Scenic Byway is pleasant but nothing like Beartooth or Going to the Sun.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #11

Do not attempt a MH on the beartooth pass.
kress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:30 PM   #12
PKI

KOA number 1 is in Montana - your mission should you accept is to find it.

You can't leave Montana without fishing. The water is much cleaner around Glacier than it is around Missoula, so let that be your guide. A day of floating with a guide can be a life changing event.

There is a somewhat famous, at least locally, carousel in the Missoula Park.

Flathead Lake is worth a visit.

Good luck with your trip.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kress View Post
Do not attempt a MH on the beartooth pass.
It’s probably too late for the OP but, having done it many times with my heavy Arctic Fox pickup camper, I’d have no concerns taking my 26 ft Leprechaun, even with Toad, over Beartooth...as long as there is no snow. If you know how to drive mountain passes (i.e. do not use brakes to control speed) it is longer and higher than many passes but not a particular challege.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:59 PM   #14

winnbrave1, I should've looked at the date of your post before I spent the last 20 minutes writing, now deleting, LOL. Hope that your trip through Montana was great, I happen to live in the Bozeman area and would've been able to give you some great areas to check out., if you're ever back this way would love to share those areas with you. FF
freedomflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana