RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:52 PM   #1

Rock Protection in Alaska

We are traveling to Alaska in June... We have a 33' Suncruiser and tow a jeep wrangler. I've read several articles on what to do to protect the tow vehicle. I currently have a solid rubber guard behind the rear MH wheels. The local camping world suggests that the solid rubber guard is the worst thing to have in Alaska because it will hit gravel mounds and kick the rocks back to the jeep. I've also read several articles suggesting that I wrap the jeep including the windshield to protect it. Am I over-thinking this issue?? Are the main roads in Alaska that bad. Is there a simple solution?

Billb1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #2

Only place we noticed rock issues is where they recently did chip and seal on the ALCAN highway. We purchased a windshild cover for the toad and something for the front of the toad would have been good since we got many chips on the front. (might want to have a bra for for the toad) Not one rock chip on the motorhome.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Just food for thought CW is in the business of SELLING you stuff, of course what ever you have will be the wrong one or not the right one. Look at your rubber guard if it's right down on the ground then maybe it'll kick up rocks but if it's well clear of the ground then probably not. Did someone from CW go out and LOOK at your gurard before they said what was said?
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #4

We are making the trip this summer. Have a BlueOx Rock Guard for the big stuff. Have a vinyl windshield cover for the CRV.
Had thought about a Bra but some people have said a Bra can get dirt under it and cause scratching. So, found this product from Armorall that I plan to apply before we head out.
Comment on the rear flap, just make sure you have a minimum of 4" clearance so it does not drag and kick up loose stones.

Custom Shield | Armor All
Old 02-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #5

We made the trip in 2012 with our 2001 Dynasty towing a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The full width solid rock guard is not a problem as long as it has sufficient clearance. It should be about 4" from the pavement. That way it will not kick up rocks from the pavement. We used a Protect-a-Tow shield on the Pontiac and had no problems. A couple of stone chips in the windshield on the motorhome repaired en route. Have a great trip!
Old 03-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #6

We have heard people talking about having a shield/guard installed under engine to prevent rocks from hitting vital parts!!! Not sure what it is called and have not seen anything on line......any ideas out there. Going to Alaska this summer towing Dakota PU.
Lenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenmar View Post
We have heard people talking about having a shield/guard installed under engine to prevent rocks from hitting vital parts!!! Not sure what it is called and have not seen anything on line......any ideas out there. Going to Alaska this summer towing Dakota PU.
This is in reference to DPs to protect the radiator from rocks etc. coming up and puncturing the rad. I have given this some thought and came up with the idea of buying a piece of Steel Window Screen that is wide enough to go from side to side. (About 5-6')
Also two pieces of Wooden Dowel about 4' long. (Window screen is in 3' widths I believe)
Now, roll one end of the screen onto the dowel and zip tie in place. Then roll the other end onto the dowel to achieve the desired width across the under side and zip tie the assembly to a convenient spot to hold the screen in place. This part I have not reconciled yet. Just keep it away from the muffler/exhaust.
Main concern, IMHO, is to protect the underside of the radiator and the area at the back of the engine to keep rocks from getting into the belts.
If you need to remove the screen, just cut the zip ties and your in bus.... And re-zip to install.
Sounds like a good plan but I have not executed it yet so anything could happen.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
This is in reference to DPs to protect the radiator from rocks etc. coming up and puncturing the rad. I have given this some thought and came up with the idea of buying a piece of Steel Window Screen that is wide enough to go from side to side. (About 5-6') Also two pieces of Wooden Dowel about 4' long. (Window screen is in 3' widths I believe) Now, roll one end of the screen onto the dowel and zip tie in place. Then roll the other end onto the dowel to achieve the desired width across the under side and zip tie the assembly to a convenient spot to hold the screen in place. This part I have not reconciled yet. Just keep it away from the muffler/exhaust. Main concern, IMHO, is to protect the underside of the radiator and the area at the back of the engine to keep rocks from getting into the belts. If you need to remove the screen, just cut the zip ties and your in bus.... And re-zip to install. Sounds like a good plan but I have not executed it yet so anything could happen.
We think we understand your suggestion and certainly has our thinking caps buzzing! If you should attempt this, please let us know. In the meantime, we will crawl under our MH and see what our option might be. Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

We went to AK in 2010 with our 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 33
v and had no problems.

I had a Rock Solid on the rear of the coach and it was high enough not to drag on the road. I was towing a Honda Civic. I bought from RV Road Wrap some plastic film that sticks to vehicle. I wrapped the front of the Honda and the front of the RV and didn't have any dings. It was also good for the bugs as when it got to messed up I took it off and replaced it.

The bra does collect dust underneath it and therefore causes scratches.

I hear protect-a-tow works very well and might be worth a try.

Lastly I did get a few rock chips on motor home windshield but they were caused in North Dakota by and oncoming truck. It was taken care of by my Comprehensive insurance and windshield was replaced.

Good luck, enjoy your trip and get a copy of Milepost to plan your trip.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #10

Under carriage protection

Some additional thoughts on protecting the underside of your coach and radiator. I think that you will find that window screening will block air flow and cause more problems than it corrects. On our trip in 2012 we measured and then purchased "chicken wire" readily available at any hardware store. I believe that it came in a roll and was 24" wide. On our side radiator DP, I removed the external grill and cut and fit a piece of chicken wire. Underneath the coach the material was installed using heavy duty wire ties. It probably took a couple of hours to cut, fit and install but it prevented any damage on the trip.

Have a great time!

Don & Sue
Old 03-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpauls View Post
Some additional thoughts on protecting the underside of your coach and radiator. I think that you will find that window screening will block air flow and cause more problems than it corrects. On our trip in 2012 we measured and then purchased "chicken wire" readily available at any hardware store. I believe that it came in a roll and was 24" wide. On our side radiator DP, I removed the external grill and cut and fit a piece of chicken wire. Underneath the coach the material was installed using heavy duty wire ties. It probably took a couple of hours to cut, fit and install but it prevented any damage on the trip.

Have a great time!

Don & Sue
Good point, never considered that.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #12

to TOM-NC, Where do you get the RV Road Wrap.
to Dennis-45, do they make the chicken wire small enough to stop pebbles?
Old 03-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi, We went to AK in 2010 with our 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 33 v and had no problems. I had a Rock Solid on the rear of the coach and it was high enough not to drag on the road. I was towing a Honda Civic. I bought from RV Road Wrap some plastic film that sticks to vehicle. I wrapped the front of the Honda and the front of the RV and didn't have any dings. It was also good for the bugs as when it got to messed up I took it off and replaced it. The bra does collect dust underneath it and therefore causes scratches. I hear protect-a-tow works very well and might be worth a try. Lastly I did get a few rock chips on motor home windshield but they were caused in North Dakota by and oncoming truck. It was taken care of by my Comprehensive insurance and windshield was replaced. Good luck, enjoy your trip and get a copy of Milepost to plan your trip.
Hey Tom-NC we found the Road Wrap on line and looks like just the ticket for protection against those bugs and maybe small pebbles. Did you apply to windshield?
Yes, we have our '14 Mikepost👍👍👍