Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #1

Traveling the north Cascade loop,Spokane to Anacortes,October,rv and toad.

Is this route rv friendly? 35 foot and toad?
gibbybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #2

I have not done it with the RV, but I have been over the route more than once. I can't think of any obstacles that would cause concern. It's not fast, you go through a number of small towns, some areas are a bit narrow, but it is very scenic if you're not in a hurry.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #3

Thank you, we are not in a hurry,would weather be a issue in Oct?
Old 04-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbybill View Post
Just watch the reports, Mother Nature has a mind of her own. Take US 395 to Kettle Fall and go across Sherman Pass for the "Full Meal Deal" Some of our favorite roads!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #5

Living in Snohomish and having a cabin in Tonasket, I've done this loop probably a hundred times.

Highway 20 is the biggest white knuckle road on the loop, but also the prettiest. It has some steep grades and tight turns(and even a combo of both) on narrower two lane roads. A 35' with a toad is doable, but I imagine you will be watching your mirrors on a few of the skinny bridges and such. Also, just make sure that your brakes are in great condition cause there are, without a doubt, deadly slopes/cliffs if anything should fail going up/down either side. Highway 2 is a cake walk in comparison.

Enjoy your trip, as it will certainly be a beautiful one that time of year!
BeAtCoAsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #6

Keep tabs on the snow reports. It's not unusual for Washington Pass to close for the season before the end of October. We were last through there in Sept 2013, and there had been quite a lot of road improvements done in the previous two years. We had an '02, 32' Class A, but no toad and we had no problems.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAtCoAsTeR View Post
Living in Snohomish and having a cabin in Tonasket, I've done this loop probably a hundred times.

Highway 20 is the biggest white knuckle road on the loop, but also the prettiest. It has some steep grades and tight turns(and even a combo of both) on narrower two lane roads. A 35' with a toad is doable, but I imagine you will be watching your mirrors on a few of the skinny bridges and such. Also, just make sure that your brakes are in great condition cause there are, without a doubt, deadly slopes/cliffs if anything should fail going up/down either side. Highway 2 is a cake walk in comparison.

Enjoy your trip, as it will certainly be a beautiful one that time of year!
Which part of hwy 20 are you talking about? East or west of Winthrop?
Old 04-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #8

Just the parts around Lake Diablo and Ross Lake, as well as Washington Pass and the 180 in the highway there - fear of failing brakes in either of these sections would be the stuff of nightmares. Other than that, it's a cake walk the rest of the way.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:16 PM   #9

Thanks for the info, would like to cross from Okanogan,to SedroWolly ,not sure if it is wise or not? Being from the flatland of Dakota,not sure what to expect. I bet it's beautiful up there.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #10

Certainly is, and not to be missed in my opinion - from experience the views are the best going East to West just like you are planning!

Here are a couple videos I found on youtube, and there are a ton of others - so you can get an idea of the scenery and driving. Both of these are West to East and still don't show the prettiest spots.

Quote:
Thanks for the info, would like to cross from Okanogan,to SedroWolly ,not sure if it is wise or not? Being from the flatland of Dakota,not sure what to expect. I bet it's beautiful up there.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #11

Yesterday we drove from Anacortes to Winthrop in the MH. Agree with your assement. We've done it by car before but definitely more demanding in the MH. Nothing I wouldn't do again happily.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #12

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Made the trip home from Winthrop today. Here it is the 24th of April and we experienced rain, light snow, a mix of the two, hail, and bright sun.

The weather folks predicted only showers so who knows what will happen in October. I wouldn't let it stop me as long as it isn't too late in the month.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #14

We completed our trip over the north cascade loop. No trouble,thanks for the info.

Tags
toad, travel