Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #1

Winter RVing in the Western PNW area

I could use some advice. I am having a challenge finding places closer by to go camping this time of year and weekends.

We live in the Bellevue, WA area and have an opportunity to go RVing for midwinter break next weekend -- as long as the snow stays away and it isn't a down pour. We bought a new RV a year ago and have been waiting for the weather and the service department to align. Any suggestions for places to RV this time of year? We have a long weekend -- so could go to Oregon - but don't want to go over Cascades and prefer not to get stuck in snow.

Criteria --
* Don't want to go over a major pass.
* Needs to work for our 35' class A with slides.
* We will be towing (first time ever) our jeep. So will have wheels to move around.
* Want to be in area of fun things we could do if it rains -- could be movie, museum, gocarts.
* Would like to have access to Wifi so I can get my Wifi Ranger checked out (but not required)
* Open to RV Park, State Parks. (not boondocking at this point)
* I wouldn't mind being near a place to go shopping/antiquing/exploring.
* We have 2 teenage boys and a 6 month old puppy. So - needs to have access to fun outdoor options as well.

We have thought about north to Anacortes, Ocean Shores, Cannon Beach (But may be too wet), or some cool state park we have not discovered.

So - open to any and all ideas.

Thanks,
Angie
ambrown19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #2

How 'bout Dungeness Co parks around Sequim?
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #3

We typically camp year round. Look at these locations:

Birch Bay
Anacortes/Deception Pass
Whidbey Island
Port Townsend
Sequin
Hood Canal
La Push
Ocean Shores
Long Beach
Astoria
Old 02-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #4

Lot's of opportunities on Whidbey Island - December Pass, Fort Casey and othrrs. Either would meet most of your requirements except WIFI. Fort Casey campground has a limitted number of full hookup sites. Exploring the fort is fun for the kids. The lighthouse is interesting. You can watch the ferries come and go, view cargo ships and sometimes a Navy ship. Coupeville has lots of antique and art shops good restaurants, a great ice cream shop, and a museum. There is free Wi-Fi along the waterfront. Oh, and t b e re I s one of the last drive-in movies just up the road that also has go-carts.

Deception Pass offers easy access Anacortes which has a historic district, museums, and lots of other activities. The park itself has good spots for your rig in the Query Pond area, beaches the bridge and lots of hikingvt r aiks.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #5

These are all great ideas. I had not really thought about Whidbey Island - but that does give us lots of options to explore the area. My kids are excited about the drive in movie idea -- and go carts. I suspect Coupeville will be on our travels this weekend.

Sequim is also a great idea. I really want to go there for the lavender Festival some time. I have not been to the Olympic peninsula in a while. You certainly bring up some great ideas there as well.

Thanks all!!!!
Old 02-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #6

Grayland Beach state park is very nice for motorhome camping. And Westport is just down the road for shopping and exploring.
Lazy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We enjoy going to Port Townsend, two great parks there, Fort Worden with all the festivals they have and a lot of trails thru the old fort. Then there's Point Hudson Marina and Rv park on the water at the end of the main street. The downside to Fort Worden is that it fills up fast and Point Hudson os right behind. Salt Creek county Park west of P.A. is great, but also is very popular. This last year we went to La Push and Copalis Beach. Both are private cgs, but really close to the beach. We have found that even mid week, you can hardly get into any state parks near any water.
Enjoy your rig and try to plan far enuff in advance so that you can get sites.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
We have found that even mid week, you can hardly get into any state parks near any water.
Enjoy your rig and try to plan far enuff in advance so that you can get sites.
Yea any of the real popular parks are tough to get into without reservations months in advance.
Lazy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:18 PM   #9

We ended up going to Port Angeles and staying at Fidalgo Bay RV Resort. The state parks did not have water or hookups at this time of year -- and we had to dewinterize. So - we had a great time in and around Anacortes and did some exploring of the north end of Whidbey.

The challenge I have had is that even with months of advance planning on the state parks given our almost 35' -- there never seems to be something available reserve. I suspect there are potentially first come first serve options -- but seems like there aren't a lot of spots that I have found that fit our size -- and takes lots of research to figure out.

If there is a secret to reserving in state parks in Washington -- I'd love to hear it. We did stay at Wenatchee State Park a few years ago dry camping and absolutely LOVED it. We want to find more of that -- and fit our size rig.

Thanks for all the info. Definitely some good ideas on areas to expand our search towards.

Angie
Old 03-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #10

Fidalgo Bay is near Anacortes. Did you stay in Port Angeles too? We usually stay in Sequim.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
Fidalgo Bay is near Anacortes. Did you stay in Port Angeles too? We usually stay in Sequim.
You are correct -- it was Anacortes. We do hope to go to Sequim later this year as well.

Angie
Old 03-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #12

At Fidalgo Bay there is a Bike/walking path. One direction with take you on a foot bridge to the Tesro refinery and nice loop around the point. The other direction will take to Anacortes proper via some dry boat slips and marinas. Both directions are worth exploring when the weather is favorable.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
We typically camp year round. Look at these locations:

Birch Bay
Anacortes/Deception Pass
Whidbey Island
Port Townsend
Sequin
Hood Canal
La Push
Ocean Shores
Long Beach
Astoria
Don't you just LOVE auto correct? My cell 'phone does it to me all the time!
Sequin = Sequim My daughter and brood live there. Stayed at the Escapees park and drove over during the Christmas break. Got some snow and also 50+ mph winds.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #14

Fort Stevens state park in Warrenton Oregon by Astoria. There is a KOA right across street that is my favorite with my kids.
popamurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving, winter