Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #1

Yellowstone/Tetons Summer 2014

I know this is way in advance, but I'm planning an RV trip to Yellowstone in July 2014. We (me, husband, daughters age 7 and 9) are coming from the Chicago area and planning a stop in Cheyenne, WY to visit family for 2 days. My parents are planning to meet us in Cheyenne and would travel with us (staying in hotels) from that point. Our 30 ft RV does not have a car attached, so my parents would rent a car at some point so we can leave the RV and travel around.

I'm thinking we would drive in the RV from Cheyenne to the Jackson Hole area and rent a car there. We could stay there for 2 days, do the Tetons and South Yellowstone. Then we would like to spend a majority of our time in West Yellowstone - maybe 4 nights. At that point my parents would probably return the car to Jackson Hole and fly home. My family (in our RV) would probably go to the north or northeast part of Yellowstone and stay for 1 night before traveling towards home.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Will we be able to get a lot in this way?

Any input is appreciated!
kbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We just got back from Yellowstone and had a great time. We stayed at fishing bridge CG in east Yellowstone. We saw Bison, Elk, Pronghorn, Grizzly, Wolf, Coyote, Deer. We drove in from Cody and out thru the south into Jackson. The Tetons were very nice but Jackson was no big deal.

Do not drive your MH north from Canyon Village to Roosevelt, it is high narrow, curvy, and has a one car tunnel at the top.

You should have a good time.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Just returned from a 2 month trip that included the area you are planning to visit. Your plan is workable. I would stay at Coulter Bay in the Grand Tetons but would allow for more time there as the distance between points of interest are wide spread. 3 nights should work! The Tetons are great for bike riding and day hikes and watching for wildlife and beautiful scenery. Staying away from Jackson (a big tourist draw if you like shopping) is OK. West Yellowstone (town of) is a good spot as well as it is right outside of the Park gate. However with a 30 ft RV you may find space available within the park to stay. For anything within the park make reservations today! West Yellowstone puts you anywhere from 14 to 30+ miles from the most visited areas of the park. The traffic is horrible! The wildlife shows it's face along the road and traffic "stops" as everybody wants a picture. About like driving on Chicago's freeways at 5:30PM everyday.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
As this is the area for Regional Chapter/Rally discussions, wouldn't this be better asked in the "RV Camping Forums" under "Camping Locations"?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote