Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #1

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi, Folks:

It's getting near that time of year again so I thought I'd start this post for anything that needs discussed.

(For about the last three or so years), I'm on site #82. Nicely graveled and no mud. This will be my third visit to Shawnee this year.

However, If I attend the festival next year, I might consider going to Blue Knob SP instead. According to the signs after you go through the toll booths in Bedford, it's only about five miles further (15 vs 10) than Shawnee.

Blue Knob's campground is small (only 48 sites) and there's only one bath house. But the hot water in the showers really works and you can adjust it (not like those "push button" thingies that Shawnee has). It's very quiet (no noise from the PA Turnpike). The down side? A two mile winding climb to the campground and not much to do there (To me, it's more of an R&R kind of place). Blue Knob (which is a couple of miles from the CG) is the 2nd highest point in PA. There's a ski lodge at the top.

Hope everyone had a great Labor Day! The weather was perfect at Raccoon Creek SP and the site I had was near perfect too (I had to raise one side 3/4"). As it worked out, by the time I got home from the store, ate, loaded the truck and hooked up it was almost 8:00. Had I joined everyone at Evergreen, I probably wouldn't have arrived until sometime around 11:00.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #2

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi, Folks:

It's getting near that time of year again so I thought I'd start this post for anything that needs discussed.

(For about the last three or so years), I'm on site #82. Nicely graveled and no mud. This will be my third visit to Shawnee this year.

However, If I attend the festival next year, I might consider going to Blue Knob SP instead. According to the signs after you go through the toll booths in Bedford, it's only about five miles further (15 vs 10) than Shawnee.

Blue Knob's campground is small (only 48 sites) and there's only one bath house. But the hot water in the showers really works and you can adjust it (not like those "push button" thingies that Shawnee has). It's very quiet (no noise from the PA Turnpike). The down side? A two mile winding climb to the campground and not much to do there (To me, it's more of an R&R kind of place). Blue Knob (which is a couple of miles from the CG) is the 2nd highest point in PA. There's a ski lodge at the top.

Hope everyone had a great Labor Day! The weather was perfect at Raccoon Creek SP and the site I had was near perfect too (I had to raise one side 3/4"). As it worked out, by the time I got home from the store, ate, loaded the truck and hooked up it was almost 8:00. Had I joined everyone at Evergreen, I probably wouldn't have arrived until sometime around 11:00.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I just hope we have the kind of weather we had last year!!
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Well, I know I'm DEFINITELY headed to Helixville Winery. This year I'm getting a case of the Fredonia. It was so , just having 2 bottles from last year was not enough to hold me over until my next visit.

Dave & I will be headed to Raccoon Creek after we leave Shawnee. So if any of you have MH-friendly directions on how to get there from Shawnee, let us know.

We haven't managed to meet up with you all since Tionesta. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Not to jinx it or anything, but the weather here for Fri-Sat is sunny w/highs in the upper 70's & Sun-Mon is sunny w/highs in the low 80's.

Now you all know that what's here is headed east, so it's lookin' like we'll be in for the best weather for Shawnee yet.

How's the leaf color over there Joe/Frank? It's just starting here with some golds & reds on tree tops. I'm looking forward to a pretty weekend ahead.

P.S. I checked Raccoon for later that next week - Dave & I will be 1 of only a handful of reservations in the whole place mid-week.

Lori-
Old 10-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
L-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I checked Raccoon for later that next week - Dave & I will be 1 of only a handful of reservations in the whole place mid-week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The raccoons are going to LLLLOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE you at Raccoon SP.

Leaf color? I think the trees here in "The Burgh" have begun turning a little earlier than usual. I'm not sure why though. Since we're going to be at Shawnee a week later than last year, I think there we'll see more colors.

My patio is covered with locust leaves as these trees begin to lose their leaves in August due to blight. However, my next door neighbor has a maple in their front yard that never loses its leaves until Thanksgiving or later. In fact, all its leaves are still green and don't show any signs of turning yet. The neighbor next to them had two huge maple trees that they cut down last month. I estimate this should reduce the amount of leaves I have to rake by at least 50%.

The Cheetos are sitting on the kitchen counter just waiting to be packed.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Raccoon Creek State Park will be a great place to enjoy some piece and quiet. The park is usually quiet mid-week and unless there is a summer concert scheduled at the Post Gazette Pavilion (about 5 miles away) the campground usually has few campers.

Out of curiosity, I did just check, and if you're a fan, Brooks and Dunn , along with ZZ Top are playing Wednesday night 10/15 at the Pavilion

The leaves here are similiar to yours in that they are only changing at the tips but we did have a fairly heavy frost recently which may have them turning more by next week.

We'll discuss in more detail directions when we see you, but it's pretty easy getting into the CG from Bedford.

My suggestion would be take the PA turnpike to exit 57. Take I-376/US-22 West through Pittsburgh then follow signs for Pittsburgh Airport onto I-279/US-22. Take the Exit for US-22 West and stay on US-22 to the PA-18 exit (Post Gazette Pavilion exit) Make a left on PA-18, go about 6 miles and turn right into the park.

There will be a sign shortly after getting on 22 for Raccoon State Park, but that forces you to follow US-30 to the far end of the park from where the campground is. I prefer staying on 22 for another 10 miles or so and entering he park from PA-18.

You can check out a map and see both ways. The park map shows both the route 18 and route 30 entrances
Old 10-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Great. Might just do that. We've still got our good boots & western wear (when Dave's dad lived in Dallas & we used to visit)from "back in the day" & I could probably still remember the Boot Scootin Boogie with some practice.

Thanks for the directions. We're bringing the laptops, so Dave can check out the routing.

Safe trips, everyone. See ya there!

Lori-
Old 10-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
P.S. I don't know if it makes any difference to anybody, but, when heading back home (west) on the PA Turnpike from Bedford, North Somerset is the only westbound plaza (gas) open. The New Stanton plaza is closed for rennovation.

I had printed out the plaza exit map & when compared to the one I printed out last year, I noticed the New Stanton plaza was missing from the map.

Just a little "heads up".

Lori-
Old 10-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Yes, the New Stanton plaza is closed because it's being rebuilt. I believe the closure is for approximately nine months.

However, you still have the option of exiting at New Stanton (Exit 75) and then taking the first exit off of I-70 west (exit 57B). There are a number of filling stations and restaurants at that exit. If you continue about another 8 miles west on I-70, there's a Flying J at Smithton (exit 49).

Right now, I don't feel very optimistic about the weather as I can hear rain hitting the skylights. I pulled the battery out of the TT tonight and it's in the garage charging. Tomorrow, I'll put it back in the TT and bring it home for preparation for the trip.

Here comes the rain again!

Safe journey everyone!
Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Right now, I don't feel very optimistic about the weather... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have faith. I'm bringing the good weather. Today the sky is bright blue, it's warm & my river birch just turned vivid yellow (seems like overnight).

Lori-