Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Camper electronics thefts...

Was watching the local news ( NW OH) from Toledo, and they had a report on recent(this week) break ins to campers in storage lots in Oregon, Perrysburg,and the thieves were taking tv's, stereo's and anything they thought may be of value, bad enough they did that, but they also did damage to the campers by prying the doors or using a brick to break windows. How sad, that some people are too lazy to get a job and earn what they need. The police suggest that everyone makes sure they take photos of items in your campers and keep serial and model number written down also for insurance purposes and in case the items are recovered and can be returned to righful owners.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
One of the RV dealers in Akron had 40-flat screens stolen out of RVs back about 2 years ago. Just think of all the damage done to get into the RV's....

I store mine at a construction trailer dealer. It's fenced in, but if someone wanted they could sneak in from the back side of the property.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #3

I store mine in a storage lot that stores rolling stock as well as storage lockers. There is a lot of activity plus there are monitors to record coming a going. They have specific hours that access is allowed but after saying all this we still check our coach every week. I would much prefer to park it at my home but it is against the community rules.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had my Bounder stored in a new storage lot about 1/2 mile from the house. The storage lot is visable from the highway, is lighted and has security cameras. Sounds pretty good, not so good!! The covered storage spaces for 5 th wheels and Motorhomes backes up to the back fence. Fence if 8 ft high with razor wire on top. On the other side of the back fence is a cemetary. Theives drove through the cemetary and cut a hole 4X6 ft in the back fence. The broke into 10 big riggs that night. My bounder did not have any personal items in it as we had just bought it the week before. They destroyed the entry door of my bounder and stole a $40 DVD player. Damage to the Bounder $5800, my cost $500.
Found out a few things. From the police stolen property is raley recovered unless the theives are caught with it. From my insurance company contents of a rv are not covered unless they are an original install. From the storage lot their insurance does not cover your rv or contents, this I knew it is standard for storage lots in Texas. And last but not least THE STORAGE LOT CAMERAS ONLY COVER THE ENTRANCE GATE nothing else.
My Bounder now sits on a concrete pad in my backyard. I installed an alarm system and a motion activated flood light inside the MH and a motion activated dash cam pointing to the interior. Also flood lights outside the MH. And I do not lock the entry door when it is parked at home. The worst part was being with the Bounder for the 4 months it took to build another door and install it.
It is impossible to keep a determined thief out. All we can do is make it so difficult they will go somewhere else. And of coures have good insurance.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
REI, Cabellas, and many other "Hunter" type stores sell some very nice motion activated cameras.. Some store locally, some foreward to an off-site host via Cat-5 or other means... NONE of these will prevent a crook from breaking into your rig ONCE.. They will, however, prevent him from doing it again for a period of time to be decided by a judge.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
folks need to realize that fences only keep honest people out. The rest is up too us. The RV dealer where we bought our 5er from told us that all the electronics are removed and the doors on all the dealership units are left unlocked. I guess history has shown them that if the doors are left unlocked theres a less likely chance of damage to the rigs. That being said I wouldnt leave my rig unlocked but if its more difficult to break into your rig than say the fellow across from you, the crook is gonna go to the easier rig. Make sense? Crooks are like water, they follow the path of least resistence. Even putting up a decal warning of a motion activated camera in the vicinity will likely make them move on.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #7

Whether its an RV or a car or a home if someone wants to break in they will find a way. Theft happens everyday. Thats why we have insurance. I also have the ability to store my MH at home. Anytime someone comes around the dogs bark. Great deterent.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hipshot, sorry to hear of your missfortune. Sometimes it makes one wonder what is wrong with people. Wishing you well and hope your Bounder gets back to original shape soon and wishing you many happy journeys.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
So what do they do when they come across someone like me? No TV, stereos, etc, nothing...just me, 11 cats, 1 bird, and a lot of bright colored fluffy shag carpet, shag pillows, and shag throws!
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote