Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #1

Hey y'all,

With the tease of spring here in the Grt. Lakes I just made our first summer camping reservation. It amazes how quickly Michigan SP fill up...earlier every summer.
Plus prices have gone up too! Pretty soon I'll skip the parks and look for some private CG with hookups...

How are the SP prices in other states?

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #2

Hey y'all,

With the tease of spring here in the Grt. Lakes I just made our first summer camping reservation. It amazes how quickly Michigan SP fill up...earlier every summer.
Plus prices have gone up too! Pretty soon I'll skip the parks and look for some private CG with hookups...

How are the SP prices in other states?

Old 03-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
As far as prices here in Ohio. Yes, here in Ohio too over the last 5 years. I kept some of the older SP overnight camping fee brochers. Between the one from 1996 to last years 2005. The average electric site in 96 was running 13-15. Last year it was 20-28. There is one non-electric SP here in northern Ohio that was $11 per night back in 96' now they are 20. And they have not done anything to the park in 15 years. That is one reason that this year we are heading over to PA. because there SP's are very reasonable in price. I believe in the 12 or 13 years we have been going there they raised their weekly rate from $96 to $102, and that was 10 years ago. So this year we are spending 4 weeks of our summer there. All 4 places we are going have electric and modern showers. In fact Clear Creek SP is only $88 for 7 days. I noticed here in Ohio at one of their higher priced parks (Mohican) where they charge $28 for an electric site that you see more trailers and motorhomes. It used to be split between tents and pop-ups.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jim's right on. All the OH state park fees have gone up drastically in the past few years. And, unfortunately, I haven't seen much of those fees go into upgrading bath/shower/restrooms either. Many parks are in desperate need of bath facility improvements. I wish more were like West Branch's. Don't know where the money is going unless it's to do 50 amp upgrade runs or put in full hook up sites. The PA state parks are looking better & better all the time - especially with the $8 on line reservation fee you have to give over to ReserveWorld to do online OH park reservations. There isn't that fee with PA.
L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Maybe 5-6 years ago I wrote a letter to the state of Ohio Department of Natural Resources Director about the poor facility conditions at Punderson. I was surprised to get a letter back from the Chief (Dan West) that because of Ohio's budget problems (thanx's Mr. Taft )that the state park employee's have been cut by 1/3rd. And that he wanted the campgrounds to be self-sufficient as far as budget, which means fees will be going up. Well I sure see that now. I remember 2 years ago at Hocking Hills at the new check-in station the clerk said that camping here in Ohio State Parks has turned into a "Rich Man's Sport". I think slowly that Ohio has started to update there areas. West Branch is a very good example, except for the short and unlevel site pads. With the pop-up we could just about find a way to level the trailer out. But now I have to be careful.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:24 PM   #6

I noticed in one of the other forums the difficulty people are starting to have getting reservations for this summer, or even the fact that they didn't have to have reservations just a few short years ago.

Anyone else having problems in the Grt Lk area?

Old 04-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The "Go RVin" advertising has been too succesful in my opinion. With most campgrounds (state and Corp) opening the reservation system for 11 or 12 months ahead, people plan way out and book everything for the weekends and holidays. This is especially true of the campgrounds cloer to the larger metro areas and the popular areas.

We have pretty much given up on state and Corp campgrounds and pretty much stick to the private ones during the high use time of the year.

Sadly, nearly all of the states have cut budgets for the parks. Peopel scream that they shoudl not have to pay for them if they do not use them. Fir enough, those that use them should pay for them. Problem is they have been very reasonably priced and to raise the prices...well another major uprising on the increased cost.

Ken
Old 04-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #8

In Michigan the SP are one of only a handful a departments that pretty much pay for themselves (or so I've been told by DNR). I still think there needs to be a graduated pay system for campers and definitely higher rates for out-of-state campers. Nothing so high that you'd consider staying away...but equitable.

Just another .02 worth

Old 04-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
At the PA. state park system the non-resident fee is $102 for a week and the in-state residents pay $96. As for people reserving sites in Ohio State Parks for the summer months, I think this being the 3 year for Ohio's reservation system campers are starting to plan way ahead if they have a favorite park and site. One example would be Mohican State Park in Northcentral Ohio. It is by far the most popular park here in Ohio. You can reserve 6 months ahead. Well, we have been going there now for 11 years about the 3rd week in July. This year I miss counted my 6 months by 5 days. So in 5 days the park was sold out. As of now all weekend sites are gone. And only a few sites here and there are open for a day or two during the week. But for people that can't plan that far ahead, or don't know when they will get off days or a vacation, they are out of luck. Each park does set a side a few non-reservable sites (about 10%) for walk ins. So this year we will not be going to Mohican (My fault ). I may sign up for Mohicans fall / Halloween camp-out for Oct. We were at West Branch's Halloween camp-out last Oct. I just made a reservation Wed. morning for this years camp-out. I called exactly at 7am and was on hold for 30 minutes. I was lucky after that 30 minutes to get our favorite site and one for my brother. I have noticed over the last 4-5 years more big rigs and trailers in the parks vs. tents and older pop-ups. If your on a limited budget and have a bunch of kids a week at a SP was a "cheap" vacation to get away from it all.

***** I checked a few minutes ago and West Branch has about 60% of the sites still available for their Fall / Halloween camp-out including most of the full service sites. The date is Oct 13-15. We'll be on sites 56 & 58 in the non-pet loop. We reserved for Thur-Sun. Mohican's Campout is the same week plus the following weekend (Oct. 20-22). Mohican is having it 2 weekends because it is so popular.