RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Grand Lake St Marys

On the road and it is HOT HOT HOT, but we got a good spot at Grand Lake St. Marys Ohio State Campground​. 50 amp and only $13. What a bargain. The lake is green with algae but we weren't up for a swim anyway. Our first Ohio state park. Nice.

Tomorrow it is on to Michigan and Sterling State Park on Lake Erie. We will be there 5 days then on to the U. P.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-528834812.png
Views:	99
Size:	987.2 KB
ID:	12327  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
GLSM's is one of OH SP's that have very nice lakeview sites. Which number are you in? We usually eat at Pullman Bay in Celina. It's a shame about the algae. The bloom last year closed swimming in the lake. By the time they got it under control, the season was all but over. Is it closed again this year?

Lori-

NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:33 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
We are in site #7, right at the beach next to the cabins. Had great shade when we pulled in around 4pm. The ladies at the entrance station were great! We walked the campground after dinner ( I think it was one degree cooler but there was a breeze) and decided that this was the best spot. It might not be the best if you want a quiet day being next to the beach, if swimming was allowed.

No swimming. The lake is closed to elderly and infants with a strong advisory for all to stay out. It doesn't look inviting anyway, water clarity is non-existent. Too bad.

People around the lake have formed a foundation to clean it up. It is quite an undertaking, from dredging, killing the rough fish like carp, controlling sediment flow into the lake, running aerators to put oxygen into the water and Alum treatments to clump suspended particles and sink them to the bottom.

The lake was formed in 1841 as part of the Miami-Erie Canal.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
With the poor lake water conditions, how full was the campground?

Here is a site on the Ohio .Gov site for warning levels for the state park lakes re-guarding algae bloom levels...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
On the road and it is HOT HOT HOT, but we got a good spot at Grand Lake St. Marys Ohio State Campground​. 50 amp and only $13. What a bargain. The lake is green with algae but we weren't up for a swim anyway. Our first Ohio state park. Nice.

Tomorrow it is on to Michigan and Sterling State Park on Lake Erie. We will be there 5 days then on to the U. P.
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore - Campgrounds (U.S. National Park Service)

While it's been a long time since we've camped there, I must strongly recommend a visit to the Sleeping Bears Dunes National Seashore on your way to the U/P - which is a primo destination too. Link above for the park.

Enjoy the journey through the Buckeye State!
salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Was there ( Sleeping Bears Dunes) like 30 years ago while living with my parents.

A 2 week trip to MI. and upper UP. are in the near future for us now. (Lori (NLOVNIT) last year was saying how they were charged $8 per day for cars passes. This year it was changed to a yearly pass for $29.

Will have to see what gas prices will be for 12'
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif
With the poor lake water conditions, how full was the campground?[/URL]
I would say maybe 30%, DW says 50%. After 34 years I think she is more likely correct :-)
Old 07-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Unfortunately we will be cutting the trip short to be in Nappanee for some interior remodeling. We won't make the UP :-( so....we will try Sleeping Bear Dunes, thanks for the tip.
Staying at Mill Creek in Mackinaw City. Tomorrow Mackinac Island.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-690611430.png
Views:	71
Size:	856.9 KB
ID:	12599  
Old 07-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #9

Great! What flex! Now I hope you have a good time - I'll feel rotten otherwise. I SWEAR we had a great time there (I checked the Way-Back Machine to verify). One more thing: as kids we would run down the dunes until we would "over speed" our legs then tumble the rest of the way...they don't make enough Motrin for me to do that anymore - but maybe you'll have a crazy night there and go for it?

Please send photos of Sleeping Bear Dunes if possible...
Old 07-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #10

One more thing...the fudge available on Mac Island is addictive. Be careful.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Too late on the fudge, but it will keep for weeks in the fridge.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Play on the lower dunes, above the parking lot - at least those are doable.

Stay away from the BIG ONE (yes, it IS that steep!). Those few dots near the bottom of the line in the sand....those are people.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:06 AM   #13

Thanks for the photos - great After Action Report! Danke!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT
Play on the lower dunes, above the parking lot - at least those are doable.

Stay away from the BIG ONE (yes, it IS that steep!). Those few dots near the bottom of the line in the sand....those are people.

Lori-
That looks darn scary. But would it be fun on a toboggan? Definitely "E" ticket ride!