Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Great lakes Loop

Patty and I are thinking about doing the loop. Two questions:
1. Do we travel the east or west side of Michigan for best scenery? I would think the east side would be less touristy.
2. How many weeks should we allow for Wis., UP (Superior shore) and Mi.
3. Any great campgrounds where the scenery can't be beat, we don't care if there are any hook- ups. Out of the way is fine by us, just remember we have 37' plus a low clearance toad.

Thanks for helping.
Tom and Patty
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
West side definitely has the best scenery.
That's not to say the east side is not nice.
jprisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I can report back in about 2 weeks. We're doing a motorcoach resort tour of W MI starting next week. We're allowing 9 days just for the west coast & up to Petosky.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
9 days?

Us Californian imports (exports)are used to traveling much faster:-)

Seriously, thanks. We will appreciate any and all feedback. I think we will like the UP on the Superior shore best, but like some nice places to sight see on the way up and back.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lori take plenty of pictures..... Are you staying at any Michigan State Parks along the way?

Western Michigan and the UP. is one area we would like to do a future trip to. I notice there are a lot of state parks along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan.

Lori, on one of your past trips to Michigan, you stayed at a state park. I remember you saying that they did something different where it cost a lot to stay there????
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
No SP's, Jim. Goin' high class all the way with motorcoach resorts this time.

MI SP's charge a daily entrance fee, per vehicle & if you're out of state (like we were) the fees are even higher. We had to pay daily fee ($8) for the Jeep AND the coach, for each day we stayed at Lakeport SP. Mind you, the coach didn't go in & out each day like the Jeep did, but it was charged a daily entrance fee just the same. This was on top of the $23 per day we paid for an electric only site. So the REAL total we paid for an electric only site was $39 per day.

Lori-
Old 06-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have visited Western MI.. I like the Dunes and such on that side of the state, And the Eastern side also has things to recommend it.. And if you get tired of shore lines, there is a bunch to see in the middle of the state.. Michigan is one lovely state.. And I'm not just saying that cause they pay me (Every month, I"m a retired State Employee)

If you wander off the coast line.. Near the bridge you can stay at Straights State Park, JUST (and I mean JUST) east of the north end of the bridge, You can hop a rid to the island from there and wander about (no motor vehicles in the summer there)

And from there you might wish to look up a liittle town called Paradise (You'll be glad you made it) the State Park nearby (Just west of town) is rather nice, I won't even try to spell the name of the "Swiftly Falling Stream" of the opem Hiawatha. but That's where it falls. One of many waterfalls in Michigan.

Amid-state is Big Lake State park,, Well, ok, it's a big lake, but if you happen to be Catholic (Or even if you are not) there is a shrine next door. My Daughter's confirmation saint in fact. Not to mention the world's largest wooden cross.

Farther south is Hartwick Pines, I rather liked that park but truthfully the attraction is the trees.. I happen to like trees. Grew up on a farm called Pine View.

I would suggest you extend your trip and cover both sides of the state.

Oh.. Odds are I'll be either in the Flint area or the Saint Clair MI area.. I stay at the Thousand Trails campgrond just off I-94 in Saint Clair Township. When I say "Off I-94) I'm talking perhaps 15 yards.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's odd when you live in the woods you want to travel to the cities, and evidently when you live in the cities you want to travel to the woods
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow what's with the east west thing for Michigan. When I lived in that area it was called the Lower Peninsula (below the Mighty Mackinac) and YouperVille was the pet name for the Upper Peninsula (above the mighty Mackinac.) The real circle tour of Lake Superior is a drive around it. That's a few thousand miles all by itself.

Along the south shore of Lake Superior there is more to see than most have time for. The Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore near Munising is spectacular, the Tahquamenon Falls State Park is great to see as is the falls and if you get that far out the Leelanau then you have to see the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum out at the point past Paradise.

Sault Ste Marie has much to see and do and I would recommend a ride on the Locks Tours Boats as they are fun and informational. I would also recommend you do the run up through Ontario on Highway 17 and then cross back a travel down to Duluth. Great trip for scenery and it takes a long time to circumnavigate Lake Superior.

A friend here in BC has circumnavigation of each of the great lakes as part of his bucket list. I checked that off years ago and would recommend it to all and sundry as a great trip in five segments.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Our intent is to travel up the Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan to the UP. Spend most of our 2 weeks in the UP. Then travel down the most scenic side of the LP. Stopping when we get tired. That is why the question of east or west side of the LP.

Thank you for all the help.

We are waiting for campground reviews Lori.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We've circled Lake Michigan, and enjoyed the sites of the UP, LP, IN, IL and WI. Great farmer's markets and roadside fruit, in season.

Also traveled along the southern side of Erie, which was beautiful, but slow driving off the highways.

Take as much time as you have time for, and enjoy the experience!

littlec

littlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:25 AM   #12

tom and patty, if you decide on the west side make sure you stay at the traverse bay rv resort www.traversebayrv.com very nice place to stay and lots to do in the area. make sure you hit the red mesa grill, fantastic spanish food. jimsue
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
...We are waiting for campground reviews Lori.
We're at Hidden Ridge now & headed to Indigo Bluffs tomorrow (Sun). I probably won't get reviews done until we're back home (end of June).

Lori-