Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
I think I have asked this before, but have forgotten what the answer was.

What ever happened to the Lake Erie Boomers (LEB) from 2000 and 2001? Isn't this the group that became known as the Pond Piggies late in 2001? What was the reason that the name got changed. The funny thing about this is that I was the wagonmaster at the first two campouts of the LEB, and even I can't remember why or how the group changed the name. What I do remember was planning the third event, which never happened.

Joe, Frank, Bill, and Jim....you were all members of the original LEB group. We all camped together (along with several others whom we haven't seen for as many years) for the very first time at Pymatuning's Tuttle Campground in the Fall of 2000. Then Joe, Frank, Bill, Hugh, Doris and myself all camped together in the Spring 2001 at Niagara Falls Ontario's KOA.

We had a great time and had a common interest--CAMPING! What ever happened to The LEB group?
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
I think I have asked this before, but have forgotten what the answer was.

What ever happened to the Lake Erie Boomers (LEB) from 2000 and 2001? Isn't this the group that became known as the Pond Piggies late in 2001? What was the reason that the name got changed. The funny thing about this is that I was the wagonmaster at the first two campouts of the LEB, and even I can't remember why or how the group changed the name. What I do remember was planning the third event, which never happened.

Joe, Frank, Bill, and Jim....you were all members of the original LEB group. We all camped together (along with several others whom we haven't seen for as many years) for the very first time at Pymatuning's Tuttle Campground in the Fall of 2000. Then Joe, Frank, Bill, Hugh, Doris and myself all camped together in the Spring 2001 at Niagara Falls Ontario's KOA.

We had a great time and had a common interest--CAMPING! What ever happened to The LEB group?
Old 11-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hi George,

I think the same group is camping. I never actually thought about a formal name or realized the group had one.

As far as I know, Bill started referring to us as the Pond Piggies when we camped around camped at Pymatuning and visited the spillway carp. I'm pretty sure that was when he made the "Pond Piggie" shirts with the picture of the carp.

Some of those group meals we have sure make us reasemble those carp too

Joe
Old 11-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
As a "Charter Member" of the Lake Erie Boomers, I believe the name change to "Pond Piggies" came about for a couple of reasons.

1. There were a number of iRV2.com camping groups organized whose names ended in "Boomers". "Boomers" (standing for "Baby Boomers") is a term used for anyone who was born post-WW2 to (I think) somewhere in the 1960's. Because there were members born outside of the "Boomer" range, the term didn't really fit.

2. The original Lake Erie Boomers were pretty much comprised from US states and the Canadian Province of Ontario that bordered Lake Erie. When the iRV2.com regions were established, the coverage area expanded and now included states that were nowhere near Lake Erie (i.e. Nebraska, Missouri), So another name for the group ("Pond Piggies") was chosen to eliminate any confusion with the old name.

Interstingly, Pennsylvania (which borders Lake Erie) is assigned to the Mid-Atlantic Region. While I've attended some of the campouts they've held, I have a closer association with members in the North Central Region (Pond Piggies). However, there are no hard and fast rules regarding this in iRV2.com. Camp with whatever group/region you like. I'm rather surprised that iRV2.com members in some of the more western states of the North Central Region haven't created their own group.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Joe-K:
I think the same group is camping. I never actually thought about a formal name or realized the group had one.

As far as I know, Bill started referring to us as the Pond Piggies when we camped around camped at Pymatuning and visited the spillway carp. I'm pretty sure that was when he made the "Pond Piggie" shirts with the picture of the carp.

Some of those group meals we have sure make us reasemble those carp too </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Joe, I remember Bill making jokes about "Pond Piggies", but wasn't aware of when the name was changed.

How are you guys doing? Hows your new rig doing? It sure is a beauty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Frank P. Martin:
As a "Charter Member" of the Lake Erie Boomers, I believe the name change to "Pond Piggies" came about for a couple of reasons.

1. There were a number of iRV2.com camping groups organized whose names ended in "Boomers". "Boomers" (standing for "Baby Boomers") is a term used for anyone who was born post-WW2 to (I think) somewhere in the 1960's. Because there were members born outside of the "Boomer" range, the term didn't really fit.

2. The original Lake Erie Boomers were pretty much comprised from US states and the Canadian Province of Ontario that bordered Lake Erie. When the iRV2.com regions were established, the coverage area expanded and now included states that were nowhere near Lake Erie (i.e. Nebraska, Missouri), So another name for the group ("Pond Piggies") was chosen to eliminate any confusion with the old name.

Interstingly, Pennsylvania (which borders Lake Erie) is assigned to the Mid-Atlantic Region. While I've attended some of the campouts they've held, I have a closer association with members in the North Central Region (Pond Piggies). However, there are no hard and fast rules regarding this in iRV2.com. Camp with whatever group/region you like. I'm rather surprised that iRV2.com members in some of the more western states of the North Central Region haven't created their own group. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Frank, 1.) I remember the "boomers" thing. I was born just 5 years outside of being a "boomer" It was a fun way to name the group anyway. Aussies reading our messages might think that we were Camping Kangaroos. 2.) You are right on with the geography...the group included all of the states that touched Lake Erie. And you know what, that is really a large area to make and maintain friendships in, with many campgrounds to check out too! And that is what it is all about--camping. I wasn't aware that the name was changed to avoid confusion. I do remember a discussion (when I was a moderator of iRV2) that I had with an administrator regarding those regions. It was definitely a thorn of contention then because it was seemingly one person who was dictating that all had to fall into step with the pre-determined regions. Hence your 3rd paragraph...I was very distraught with the regions because there had been absolutely no provision for pre-existing groups that spanned two of the regions.

Thanks to both of you for jogging your memories. I've been so busy lately that when I tried to recall some of the facts, I just kept coming up blank.

I did several searches here and can't find any postings that go back to the first year of the site. I wander what has happened to those posts...

George
Old 11-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did several searches here and can't find any postings that go back to the first year of the site. I wander what has happened to those posts... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I experienced this too, George. So I posted the question for the moderators. Here's the link to it, and their response.

Are there postings that have been archived or missing?
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank P. Martin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did several searches here and can't find any postings that go back to the first year of the site. I wander what has happened to those posts... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I experienced this too, George. So I posted the question for the moderators. Here's the link to it, and their response.

Are there postings that have been archived or missing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frank, thanks for the link. I read your dialog with the moderator. Now to find the missing threads from less than 1068 days ago..... I guess its a lot like wandering if Jimmy Hoffa is still alive...