Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just called to renew my discount card for use at Ohio state parks & was told that they've discontinued the program as of August 31 - which happened to be when my current card expired (coincidence?! - I think not). No reason given. I was told they are pursuing options for some other program but it probably won't be available until September of next year at the earliest.

It's a real dissappointment. The program was good for a 15% discount on fees Apr-Oct & 20% Nov-Mar. The discount made it more tolerable to swallow that $8 per reservation fee Reserveworld (the company that runs the reservation system) charges. We had saved nearly $138 ($64 just this yr) since we started using the card for reservations. That's no small chunk of change.

No advanced warning or notification was ever posted on either the ODNR or Ohio state parks websites. I told this to the girl I spoke to at the ODNR office because I had used my now expired card to make a couple future reservations banking on having a renewed card. I was told it's up to the individual park whether or not they ask to see my discount card & charge back the discount since the program was discontinued.

I don't know how many people had the card & used the program. My feeling is they could no longer support it at those discount levels with just the $25 per yr fee charged for the program. I guess I'll just have to wait & see what our government leaders come up with next year. *Sigh*

L-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Sad to here it. It would pay for itself after the 6th night in a Ohio State Park. Over the last few years we have been doing more week long vacations in PA. because they still charging between $88 & $102 for the whole week (7 nights non-resident). Seems the Ohio PS's would raise their nightly fees a dollar or two every year over the last 7-8 years. I bought my Cardinal in Jan. and was planning on getting a few more weekends in before the end of the year. We have 3 days reserved at West Branch in Oct. for their Halloween weekend. If you here of anything as far as discounts let me know.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jim-

Funny you should ask. I just got off the phone with a girl from the ODNR. I guess my complaint got passed along & I actually got a call back.

The contract with InfoSpherix (aka ReserveWorld) is up & they're just starting to take new bids for a new system integrating a discount for frequent campers. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. I suggested that a notation be put on either the ONDR homepage or the State Parks homepage stating about the demise of the CCC program. It just wasn't right that they disconnected the link without any warning or notice.

L-
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:07 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We were at Geneva State park last weekend (9-28-30). At check in I was wondering if they were going to still except the cardinal card discount. I laid the card on the counter to see if the lady would take it. Sure enough they still except it. She said they didn't know when they were going to stop taking the card. She said they heard that the park was going to come up with another discount offer but she didn't know what it was going to be. I just put me 2 cents in and said that we do a lot of camping in other state's State Parks, all of which have much cheaper overnight camping fees than Ohio does.
Today I did a phone reservation for West Branch this coming weekend and they did except the card. The reservation person said" they will except the card up until next Aug 30th. 2008. But they no longer sell the card as of Sept this year." Meaning unless you renewed your card in the last 2-3 months, you will not get any discounts next summer. My card expires in March 08', so for next summer I'm "Sh_t out of luck" Pennsylvania here I come......
Old 10-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jim; if you're going to be at West Branch weekend of the 5th....we'll be in site 106, stop by and join us for a campfire!

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:38 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We'll be in 175 and my parents will be in 172. The following week (Oct. 11-14)for the Halloween camp-out we'll be on 100, my brother on 101 and his buddy on 103. I picked up some 3" thick corrigated cardboard at work last night to make some grave stones for next weekend. Between last Friday and Monday morning reserved sites went from 1/3 full to about 75% filled. We were lucky to get 2 sites together. My father likes 172 because he can get his Satellite clear. See ya then....Hey, did you want some wood for making your projects? I have a few either maple or birch 3/4" x 1" by 20"s or some of that curved walnut. or any veneer walnut or birch (1/10" thick).

** Sorry to get off subject **

back to what I was thinking about. O I wonder if writing letters to the Ohio Natural Resource Dept. conveying our thoughts about the increasingly fast rate at which Ohio has raised its over night camping fees over the last 7-8 years. Plus adding a $8 reservation fee on top of that. Maybe they ought to take some lessons from the state of PA. in keeping their rates reasonable for the average RV camper. And not charging a reservation fee. Over the last 10-12 years I can only remember PA State Parks raising the weekly (7 nights) non-resident rate from $96 to $102. (about $14.50 a night) And in some parks ( Modern: with water and electric service) it is $88 (about $13 a night)for non-resident. Their resident fee was about $10 cheaper. Ohio's rates are about $18 -$29 for an electric site and between $15 and $21 for a non-electric site. Most of the places we go run about $24 to $26 for a electric site. (West Branch, Punderson, Mosquito, Mohican, Findley, Hocking Hills and Geneva.
Knowing Ohio I bet if the lowest bidder for a new contract for a reservation service is a company who "Off-Shores" they will do it like all the rest of the companies who can get away with this tread of Off-Shoring their customer service departments. We better brush up on our Indian or Chinese.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Originally, I had used the ODNR website contact form (before actually phoning) to inquire about the missing link to the discount program form. Just Monday, I got an email reply from Patti Barnett, Marketing Section Mgr for Ohio State Parks. She stated that I could continue to use my card (which expired Aug 31), until Aug 2008. So I'm just gonna continue to use my card for future reservation & carry a copy of her email with me, in case I am asked about it. I've had only 2 campgrounds actually ask to see my card this whole season & they just barely glanced at it. I guess they were just seeing if I actually had one, whether or not it was still good. Try still using your card even after it expires & if they ask, tell 'em Patti said you could.

I like your idea about writing ODNR about the pricing situation. The full hookup prices at most OH state parks rival those of private campgrounds anymore. Unfortunately, with the need for upgraded facilities at most of the state's parks (I haven't seen any other bath facilities that match WB's), I can only assume that fees will continue to increase. And if PA can do a reservation system without fees, then surely OH can do the same. Since they are just now taking bids for a new reservation system, maybe some input from us would help them decide on a decent & fair new system.

So, get out your pens, folks. Let's let ODNR know how we feel about camping in our state parks.

L-
Old 10-03-2007, 01:06 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jim; any kind of wood you're willing to part with is good to me.....I keep cutoffs of everything simply because I will find a use for it sometime or other AND; because I am a SLOVENIAN PACKRAT! Just can't help myself!

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
John-

You & Dave are 2 peas in a pod (I didn't know Dave was "SLOVENIAN")! He cuts of lamp cords & saves pieces of cut off wiring JUST IN CASE we need it in the future for some project - & that's just a couple of the things he packrats. Good thing we have a BIG basement. Some day, when we finally do downsize, there's gonna be a really big sale of miscellaneous stuff. (Note to Jim/Diane: maybe you can sell it all on ebay!)

You guys have a great weekend at WBranch. The weather looks to be just perfect both here & for the rest of the Pond Piggies that'll be in Bedford, PA.

L-
Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hey, DON'T knock the "SLOVENIAN" way of life. I'm one too. I got a whole box of cord ends. In fact I was in it yesterday looking for a replacement cord for a Halloween light set I needed to fix.
I think I'm going to write a letter / email to the director of the Ohio State Park Cheif Dan West, or Sean Logan Director of Ohio Department of Natural Resources. I just have to find the correct address.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Superslif:
Hey, DON'T knock the "SLOVENIAN" way of life. I'm one too.
Me too. My grandmother and grandfather came from Czechoslovakia, entering through Ellis Island sometime around 1913.

gm
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:03 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Now you know what I (Diane) have to put into this conversation ..... SQU (poor little penny)