Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have been wondering about when Ohio will roll out a new discount program for their state parks. They stopped selling the Cardnal Card last Aug. I believe. I called today ( 614-265-6561 ) to the ODNR to see whats up. According to them they have a meeting with the reservation company next week to go over a new program. All she could say it was going to be more like Giant Eagle's Advantage Card. So it wasn't going to be a set % off, but after so many nights or $$$ spent you would receive something. If anyone hears anything can you post it. Next year I'm looking at a week at Hocking Hills SP. Also with West Branch becoming more popular, even in the off season you now need a reservation to get a site. Weekend camping is starting to become pricey with the site fees and the reservation fee. Yesterday I made a reservation for Findley SP and it cost me $53 for 2 days. With them adding two loops with electric service this year they get filled up fast...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I, too, had been wondering what was going on with the program. About a week ago, I sent an email requesting an update on the program since I was told in August 2007 a new program would be rolled out by summer 2008. So far, no response. But if/when I do hear something, I'll let you all know about it.

It's getting more & more expensive to go to the state parks. But, in comparison to paying the prices at private campgrounds (in OH at least), the state parks are still competitive, if not slightly cheaper. The state parks in PA, KY & WV are cheaper than OH, but, when factoring in the extra gas cost to get there (unless the price of gas goes down - NOT!), I'll rv in OH state parks more in the future.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
PA. State Parks increased their overnight fees $3 per night for the 08' season. Starting Jan. 1st 09' there will be another $2 per night increase. I believe just like last year if you make a reservation by Dec 31st. 08' you will lock in on the 08' rates. We usually do a week at a time in the PA. parks and get a weekly discount of "buy 6 days get the 7th free".
Old 09-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I received this email, today, from a Chris George, Reservation & POS Coordinator:

"Your inquiry about the status of the program that is slated to replace the Cardinal Camper Club was forwarded to me. I wanted to update you on where this program stands.

Ohio is in the process of developing a customer loyalty program that will allow Ohio State Park customers to accumulate points for money spent in the Parks for overnight stays, golf, etc. Points will likely accumulate at one point for each dollar spent. Once a specified number of points are accumulated, customers will receive a discount on activities in the park. These milestones have yet to be determined.

We are currently working on the details of this program with our Reservation and Point of Sale System vendor. It is our goal to have this program in place in the Spring of 2009"

So, I guess we wait some more.

Lori-
Old 10-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
wait wait wait...that is the story of our lives. Tentatively I was looking at Laurel Hill SP. / Shenandoah NP. mid June. Bur Oak SP. / Hocking Hills SP. Mid July. And Kettle Creek SP. (PA.) / Another PA. SP. early Aug. I would really like to hit Myrtle Beach SC., but the price of gas is the trump card..... here.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally posted by Superslif: the price of gas is the trump card..... here.
Not sure about NE OH, but here in Columbus, gas was $3.39/gal for regular today. That's much lower than we were paying earlier this summer, & 20-cents per gallon cheaper than we paid to fill up the MH 2 weekends ago when we went to Mohican.

It figures, our season is coming to an end & the gas prices go down. I even think I saw diesel under $4/gal ($3.99 or .98) at Pilot just a day or so ago.

Lori-
Old 12-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
** Important News ** I have been keeping an ear / eye open on what the State of Ohio will do in place of the Cardinal Camper Card discount program. Today I talked to "The Man" (Chris George) who heads the reservation system. He went on to say they are going to roll out the new program hopefully in April. Tentatively, it is going to be modeled after the Giant Eagle Advantage Card. It is going to be called something like Park Points. Basically what you spend, either on campsites, cabins, lodges or maybe even buying a tee-shirt go towards stuff. I asked how many days / nights of camping to earn a "free" night. He said about 14 nights of camping to equal a free night. You can roll it over year to year. I said compared to the 15% discount the old Cardinal Card offered, this 14 for 1 program is about half the value of the old program. But I guess you have to factor in you don't have to buy the card. Everyone is enrolled I'm assumming, even you PA. Pond Piggy's......I made two reservations the last few days for Ohio. He said hopefully they are able to go back in the reservation system and credit me for the reservation I made now for 09'. And by the way Chris is a camper. He was very open to hear what I had to say. You can say he picked my brain on a number of subjects. And a few things I was biting at the jaw to discuss.

#1 This one has been bugging me for years. I said at West Branch, why are all sites listed as "level"??? Park employees have aways insisted the state (Columbus) controlled that. He said no. He said at the beginning of every camping season the park managers summit revised site discriptions to Columbus. He said I'm sure everything is correct. I said lets go on West Branch's reservation site now. I said look at the sites on the 2nd half of the full-service loop. Do you really think those sites are level ???? There about as far from level as you can get.....trust me. I would say about 40% of the sites are not level. We went over a few other areas of the campground, samething "level". Hopefully he'll get them to change the site discriptions. I will be surprised when it happens. I should charge a fee for my service to tell them if a site is level.

#2 This is news too. He asked me how I liked how the reservation system worked compared to PA's format. Since I use PA's a lot I said with the Ohio system once you set your date, days, and area of campground and do a search, but find there are no sites you like in that search, you have to back-up and start your search again. Plugging in all the dates and days again. With the PA. system you can scan sites with the "site calender" going 2 weeks forward or back or changing the area of the park without entering in your data again. He said they just renewed the contract with the reservation company, which also does PA's. Ohio will be changing to PA's format very shortly.

#3 This one is more of a FYI for a minor issue. Last year while calling at 7am using 2 different phones to reserve a site for the popular Halloween weekend at West Branch I was finally able to get thru at about 7:30 to find all the sites were taken. As you know here in Ohio you can reserve 6 months ahead to the day of arrival. From word of mouth people were reserving 6 months + 2 weeks early to snatch a site. So they were reserving 14 nights catching the 2 days of the Halloween weekend they really wanted. Then before arriving say 2 months out cancelling 12 of the 14 days and keeping the 2 for the Halloween weekend. He said this is legal, but the reservation people make them cancel all 14 days, and they have to wait till 7am the next morning to re-reserve that site. So they will cancel a few minutes before the reservation system closes one day and call 7am the next. I guess the reservation people don't mind because they are getting more revenue from cancellation fees and a new reservation.

#4 All 09' prices reflect a $1 per night increase.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
That a boy, Jim, you keep 'em straight in Columbus and get them to correct those "level" sites!! Interesting to see the changes. Of course, that is if we even have any parks open this summer because of the budget problems.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, with the $1 increase maybe us campers can fund the whole state from dropping into insolvency. You know us campers are just rolling in dough. Actually I'm more worried about PA. not passing their budget next summer. Joe (K.) does PA. run on a 1 or 2 year budget? I remember 2 years ago they shut down the park campgrounds and kicked everyone out a week before we were to arrive. Last week I made reservations for 3 weeks of camping in PA. So you PA. Pond Piggies you have to thank me too for helping to support your budget defecit too. ($491) worth. I don't know where I heard it but Ohio's State Park campgrounds were down 7% on attendence for 09'. Chilling...
Old 12-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thanks for the update, Jim. I, too, have been patiently awaiting the new program. The new 14 to get 1 is quite a loss, but the savings of not having to pay $25 every year to get a discount card will lessen the dissappointment. I'm glad Chris was open to your input. I'll give it a shot, too, by emailing him my thoughts.

#1 AMEN to that. IMO, they, first, have to define "level". And not some manager's definition either. Level in the eyes of those that have to be sure they have enough boards in a storage bay to get level on a site described as "level". Yeesh!

#2 If I recall, PA's system doesn't have that stupid $8 non-refundable reservation fee that OH's does. Did Chris say whether or not this will go away when OH goes to PA's format? That would be nice!

#3 I feel your frustration. Folks have figured a way around the system & it isn't fair. I was on-line at 6:45AM the morning the window opened for WB's Halloween wknd (hoping to get a spot to see what all the fuss is about). I had all my data entered & waited until my clock read 6:59AM to click the submit to bring up the section so I could add a site to my cart. The website slowed to a crawl & by the time I finally got thru (about 7:05AM), the section I wanted in was all reserved. By the time I got backed up, re-entered all my data & searched in another section, it was booked. The entire CG was booked by 7:15AM! At least I do like the new Campground Availability view for last minute, immediate weekend reservations.

#4 And so it goes. I guess we'll just have to get used to rising prices.

Lori-
Old 12-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Site 114 @ West branch: Online description says level.....

To who???

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do you happen to have Chris George's email? We must have talked a half hour on the phone. I wanted to do a follow up email. I did mention our IRV2 site and he asked for the address. So watch what you post On the PA. State Park's website they list most of the department heads and assisant's phone #'s and email addresses. Ohio doesn't. I emailed the general Ohio Parks website to see if they will give it to me. But if you have it that would be great.

Quote:
#1 AMEN to that. IMO, they, first, have to define "level". And not some manager's definition either. Level in the eyes of those that have to be sure they have enough boards in a storage bay to get level on a site described as "level". Yeesh!
After getting into that subject I asked him if he is a RV'er. Yes, he himself just reserved for Salt Fork for Memorial Day Weekend. Maybe that is the problem ("define "level". And not some manager's definition either") Two years back who I assumed to be the head park ranger for West Branch was one of those Jackie Gleason type persons from the old movie "Smokie & the bandit". You know what I mean. That could be where the problem starts....

Quote:
#2 If I recall, PA's system doesn't have that stupid $8 non-refundable reservation fee that OH's does. Did Chris say whether or not this will go away when OH goes to PA's format? That would be nice!
O ya I brought. He said trust me that fee will never go away. PA's is just built into the price.

Quote:
I feel your frustration. Folks have figured a way around the system & it isn't fair.
I agree with ya. He went on to say that the old Cardinal Card had it's problems too. The parks were supposed to check that your card was valid when you check-in. But because of under-staffing that was not always followed thru on. So some people used an expired card for many seasons. Why didn't I think of that. I guess it doesn't pay to play by the rules.....

Quote:
Ya Big John
I told Chris on how a 38' MH reserving a site for the first time there in the full-service loop and driving up to a site with a 10% pitch. Well, one thing would be for sure is they wouldn't be having eggs in the morning with out about 2 feet worth of levering timbers under the wheels. To me especially in the full-service area you tend to get larger units reserving those sites. It could become a safety issue when new-be RV'ers after watching "RV the Movie" think they can level anything, just make sure thee old wheel chock is set. use that hammer. Hammer those bad boys in And if your not sure there in get a bigger hammer
Old 12-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally posted by Superslif:
Do you happen to have Chris George's email?
Sure do: Chris.George@dnr.state.oh.us. If anyone wants to call him, his number if 614-265-6935.

Come on folks, let's let Chris know our thoughts about our OH state parks. He seems to be willing to listen to our experiences & insights into what's good & what need improving with our parks (I hope he sees your pic above, John!) & it's reservation system.

Lori-
Old 12-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The F Section @ Salt Fork is another example of bad descriptions....F68 for example is listed as level...well I needed 2 4x8's on drivers side and front to back is self explanatory.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote