Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:24 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

I noticed you folks aren't using the Pond Piggie sub category and wondered if it's something Bill should take down?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

I noticed you folks aren't using the Pond Piggie sub category and wondered if it's something Bill should take down?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Bob, You're right--it isn't being used to its potential. May I offer my opinion here?

I think that there would be more potential to see it used if it were a subgroup of a new group such as "iRV2 Camp Groups" instead of "Regional Chapters, Campouts & Rallies." As it stands now, the Pond Piggies are lost amongst the geographical regions. "iRV2 Camp Groups" would not respect geography, but simply list camping groups that have grown out of iRV2 since its inception c.2000.

Think about it. You could even have an "Penn-Ohio Allegro Bus" group very soon

gm
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:56 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks for the thoughts George...I'll let some others weigh in as well.

Regarding the Penn-Ohio Allegro group, I am aware of the PA link to that group, wasn't aware an Ohioan was looking.... Mike got some beans to spill?
Old 11-20-2007, 03:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yeah Mike You holding out information on us
Old 11-20-2007, 04:26 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
A new coach in someone's future??? I know nothin!!!!!!!!

As far as the sub category, my thought was that it was there for a place for the Piggies to have their conversations and plan things that were just "Piggie only". We always use the main regional forum cause we want others to join in and so it is always "open to the public." So you can take it down as far as I am concerned.
Mike

P.S. Me thinks that I am not the only one in Ohio that always wanted to be a "bus driver"!!!
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'm not partial to it. I'm for takin' down the Pond Piggie sub category, too. I realize the idea of why it was created, but, like Mike stated, we want others to feel free to join us. If we posted our outtings only in a sub category, I'd feel we were excluding all the other wonderful folks who'd have the potential to catch up with us at one of our group campouts. JMO.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
FYI:

I've checked out the other sub-categories. I found that like the Pond Piggies, the Noreasters and Texas Boomers have light to no use. But the Florida Cooters and Oklahoma Boomers have heavy usage.

I think that it would be nice for these groups that have been born and reared out of iRV2, to each have an internet presence through a forum category in their respective names. The current posting practice of the Pond Piggies has us integrated into the North Central Region. The "Pond Piggies" (a.k.a. The Lake Erie Boomers, c.2000**) are in the shadow of the larger geographical region.

gm

** The Lake Erie Boomers were first organized for a campout at Pymatuning State Park in September, 2000. Members of iRV2 from the states of PA, OH, MI, and NY, and also the Province of Ontario, were invited to join in the new group. The original members of the Lake Erie Boomers who are members of the present Pond Piggies include Joe Kasinich, Frank Martin, George Miklas, Bill Rowell, and Jim Slifka. The Lake Erie Boomers had a second campout in May, 2001 at the Niagara KOA, in Niagara Falls Ontario. The name was subsequently changed to the Pond Piggies.

This bit of history is offered here only for the purpose of showing that the group was born and reared around iRV2.com.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

L, the Noreasters are having this very same discussion as we speak and while the Texas Boomers certainly support iRV2, I don't think they're interested in using the sub-category, given they have their very own website for their "rally specific" stuff...

The Florida Cooters,formerly the "Boomers" are enjoying a resurgency, thanks mostly to several of the more original iRV2 members of the Boomers that broke off from the faction that left iRV2 some months ago...
Remarkably, the reason several of them left was that we moved FLORIDA into the Southeast region instead of it being it's own State...

I'll get with Bill and let him weigh in, but I know he's up to his hind parts at work right now....
Old 11-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #10

I would like to add my $.02 to this topic...

I have to agree with George on this.

We live in Western NY and back in May of 02, we joined up with the "current" Pond Piggies...former Lake Erie Boomers... due to demographics and distance. We continue to get together now due to friendships that have formed over the years.

The current groupings of the states, somehow seem to exclude many members from getting together due to distance and/or demographics.

I feel that George's idea of just listing groups or clubs born from IRV2, with locations of the members will entice others to seek a "club" in their area.

IE: If I looked now at the way the states are divided...I would fall into the 'Noreasters group...BUT, their gatherings are tooooo far for us to attend for weekends...hence, the Pond Piggies and the locations of their (our) gatherings make it possible for us to join.

I feel that dividing states is somehow dividing members...lets go with group listings and let others that are seeking to join in decide the distance they are willing to travel.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Geography will most assuredly be one of the leading reasons that brings people together.
There will always be people that look for rallies in their area, by searching States rather than group names....Many newer members may have no idea what the "group name" actually means, whereby if they're camping in VA and see a "Fall VA Rally" topic they get the message right away...

Folks that live in either the extreme eastern or western edges of certain States will be drawn to cross participate, which is what is happening in your case.

The sub-categories were something we came up as a result of a request and then we expanded them with the idea that "everyone" might want them.
This has not been the case...

Regrettably, there are instances where certain groups tend to stay toward one border of their region, mostly based on the abundance of that group's active participation base living in that area....The Noreasters seem to frequent the eastern part of their region as an example.

I think the current "regions listed by State group" works the best and would not recommend a change at this time.

What COULD be a possibility is that we list all the regional groups (currently listed in red in the forum listing) in one area, to be less confusing and easier to find....

If ya'll aren't using that sub-category that doesn't accomplish much in this case...
Old 11-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
...Folks that live in either the extreme eastern or western edges of certain States will be drawn to cross participate, which is what is happening in your case.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>That is in our case too. Since my mailing address is in Pennsylvania, I am grouped with the Mid-Atlantic Group. Nice folks I'm sure, but not a convenient match for regular camping.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
...What COULD be a possibility is that we list all the regional groups (currently listed in red in the forum listing) in one area, to be less confusing and easier to find.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is music to my ears!

If ya'll aren't using that sub-category that doesn't accomplish much in this case... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hear the calling to post something over there.....

gm
Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Candace:
I feel that dividing states is somehow dividing members...lets go with group listings and let others that are seeking to join in decide the distance they are willing to travel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have to agree with Candace on this.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:08 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

How this conversation went from "are you using the sub-category" to whether or not we're changing the way the States or regions are listed is confusing to me, but let's nip it in the bud as far as changing the "Mid-Atlantic" or "North Central" format as I feel the way the States are grouped and displayed is conductive to promoting regionalism amongst the members...

As I mentioned it allows someone, usually a new member, to stop in and see what's going on in an area they might be in.

There's always room for other opinions and I welcome the right to express them, but in this case the geographical makeup of the States is what we're sticking with....

In response to the grouping of the red sub-categories together, I'll run that by Bill when he settles down at work....Might be something to think about, although there's some credence to keeping the regional subcats tied into the region they exist under....
More for Bill and I to discuss....