Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Traveling north along the east coast of Lake Michigan and the UP

This summer we will be traveling from Kentucky north to Michigan and looking to run the coast up to Mackinaw City sometime this summer. Our family loves exploring, rock climbing, beaches, biking, hilly and scenic terrain. I'm looking for ideas on places to go alone the coast as we head north.

I'm thinking we are going to reach Lake Michigan around St. Joseph and head north all the way up to Mackinaw.

Looking for any points of interest you think we would enjoy as well as either boondocking spots or good cheap campgrounds.

Also looking for interesting places in the UP.

Is going to Copper Harbor worth the drive?

Thanks everyone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Which coast, east or west?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #3

What is worth it is relative to what you want. A lot of woods, rocks and water up that way. Some good beer and brats. Some of us like that, some do not. I'm trying to talk her into a loop up through Michigan and down through Wisconsin this year or next. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mackinac Island is worth a daytrip on ferry. I liked the self guided trip through the Ice Breaker in Mackinaw City. Near the Ice Breaker, there's a smokehouse that had really good smoked fish.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Which coast, east or west?

Lori-
East coast of Lake Michigan, west side of the state.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:10 AM   #6

Then you need to stop here Legs Inn - Cross Village, Michigan

Legs Inn is conveniently located near historic places: Harbor Springs, Petoskey, Mackinaw City, Cheboygan and at the end of famed scenic route M119 "Tunnel of Trees."

And, you can drive a motorhome on Rt. 119. We did.

Also: West Michigan Tourist Association http://www.wmta.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTallTom View Post
East coast of Lake Michigan, west side of the state.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #7
csp

Monaco Owners Club
We are also traveling that way this summer in late July. Please keep the ideas coming.
We will be traveling in a 40 foot motorhome towing. Are we going to have any problems getting a camping spot at the campgrounds.
Are the state park campgrounds hard to get into without reservations.
Thank you chris
Old 03-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Summer is prime RV-ing season. You'll have no problem finding sites during the week, but I'd strongly, based on experience, suggest having reservations for weekends (Fri-Sun).

For some W MI CG's, check out my albums for Hearthside Grove, Hidden Ridge & Indigo Bluffs - just click on the link in my sig.

X2 on Legs Inn. I had the hunter's stew, some Polish beer I couldn't even pronounce & szarlotka for dessert. YUM!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #9

Welcome to Mich!

It is a beautiful coastline, lots of lakes and rivers and so much to see!
Some suggestions:
Silver lake near Mears Mich; can rent quads to drive on dunes
Multiple lighthouses to see and great sunsets!
Sleeping Bear Dunes is a must see, lots of trails, beautiful views
Route 22 from outside Manistee (in lower penn) up into Leelanau Penn.
Interlochen (south of Traverse City)
Route 31 north out of Traverse City up to Harbor Springs which is where you can catch Rte 119/Tunnel of Trees (you are then getting close to Mackinaw City and the island

In UP:
Sault Ste Marie (locks)
Tahquanemon Falls
Pictured Rocks (lots of hiking trails/waterfalls) Boat ride to view from Lake Superior is great! Dress warm, even in summer!
Copper Harbor is a long ride, but a beautiful place!
I have not been exploring in Porcupine Mtns, but friends have and say it is beautiful as well.
We always used to travel via tent, so could always find a spot and never made reservations; but with RV, most likely weekends might be toughest.
We will be learning this summer with our new/used RV; hoping to head up through UP and then west on Hwy 2..
Have a great trip!
Old 04-14-2016, 05:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedlines View Post
Some suggestions:
Route 31 north out of Traverse City up to Harbor Springs which is where you can catch Rte 119/Tunnel of Trees (you are then getting close to Mackinaw City and the island

In UP:
Sault Ste Marie (locks)
Tahquanemon Falls
Pictured Rocks (lots of hiking trails/waterfalls) Boat ride to view from Lake Superior is great! Dress warm, even in summer!
I have not been exploring in Porcupine Mtns, but friends have and say it is beautiful as well.
We always used to travel via tent, so could always find a spot and never made reservations; but with RV, most likely weekends might be toughest.
We will be learning this summer with our new/used RV; hoping to head up through UP and then west on Hwy 2..
Have a great trip!
All of the above are my same recommendations, as well as:
in the UP
x2 Sault Ste. Marie...the Soo Locks...fascinating lake freighters making their way through the locks
Palms Brook State Park...Kitch-Iti-Kipi...it's a DIY float boat over a spring.
Agreed as a long trip to Copper Harbor, but worth it. Brockway mountain drive, for sure, but not with the RV.
Cuisine: pasty. In the west UP, cudighi sausage.

in the LP
Grand Traverse Bay M37 old mission peninsula.

Take your time and enjoy the trip, eh!
Old 04-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #11

Thinking about a Michigan trip a long time ago. The situation may have changed, so suggest you do some research.

If you are from out of state, a Michigan state park pass must be purchased for access to state campgrounds. And, if you drive a toad rather than towing or trailering it, a second pass must be purchased for the vehicle. I had my wife driving our car, so had to buy two $20 passes in addition to the camp fee. The ranger told me only one pass would have been needed if the car had been on the trailer.

Again, this is old information. This is not an intent to bash Michigan, but be sure to understand the current regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
We are also traveling that way this summer in late July. Please keep the ideas coming.
We will be traveling in a 40 foot motorhome towing. Are we going to have any problems getting a camping spot at the campgrounds.
Are the state park campgrounds hard to get into without reservations.
Thank you chris
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #12

I like the idea of the recreation pass. Makes it a little cheaper for the residents of the state to use their parks but still allows visitors to get in but for a little more money. As a former Florida resident who could almost never get a weekend in a state park from nov-apr I really like the idea. I will be travelling in michigian this summer and will be happy to pay them a fee to use the state resources.

How much does it cost?

$11 - Michigan registered vehicles
$5 - Michigan registered motorcycles
$31 - Non-Michigan annual pass
$9 - Non-Michigan daily pass

DNR - Recreation Passport
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #13

Fayette State Park on the UP, restored ore town and decent RV park. Other good places on the UP and lower Mi have already been mentioned
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Yooper Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedlines View Post
Some suggestions:

In UP:
Sault Ste Marie (locks)
Tahquanemon Falls
Have a great trip!
We have made a few trips to the UP and love it everytime. Went to Tahquanemon falls the first time in mid October when the water color was at it peak...SPECTACULAR! If you cross the bridge to the UP, you must stop at Bessie's Homade Pasties in St. Ignace and partake. There in also a resturant and micro brewery in Tahquanemon falls state park. Macinac Island is well worth at least a day trip. We are going up again this year for the July 4th picnic at the fort...can't wait. We are staying at the Mill Creek Camping resort. I reserved our site back in February and they were almost totally booked for the holiday weekend. We are talking about a trip to Glacier i the near future and I plan on taking the HWY 2 route along the coast. We olny concern is crossing the bridge in a 33' sail boat. I know you'll have great travels in Michigan. I live and was born and raised in Indiana so my opinion is totally unbiased.

Tags
travel