Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #1

Fellow Boomers I need a bit of help.... I haven't been around much lately due to my mother's health challenges.

She was admitted to a local hospital via ambulance on 5/5 due to alterior fibulation (sp) where the top half of the heart beats WAY too fast and the bottom half slows down far too low trying to compensate. She had previously had "mild" congestive heart failure from a heart attack and subsequent triple by-pass in 1998.... that brings us to today.

We called 911 again this morning for mom.... what appeared to be another A-fib episode is actually internal bleeding (from somewhere, we aren't exactly sure yet) which caused low blood volume, low red cells, etc. This is due to some sort of internal "leakage" ulcer, colon pollop or something, when combined with the blood thinner they have her on.... well she has blood loss. The combination of all of this made her heart rate go way up again and when I checked her vitals I thought it was A-fib. Either way she needed to go to the hospital and I am thankful she is being treated, hopefully she is still strong enough to rebound from this. This is not good y'all, not good at all. She is in ICU at this time, they don't allow visitors between 5pm & 8pm so we came home for a short respite....

I am posting here and a couple of other message boards I go to in the hopes that those of you who pray will do me the honor of mentioning my sweet mom in your prayers. Thank you.
OkieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #2

Fellow Boomers I need a bit of help.... I haven't been around much lately due to my mother's health challenges.

She was admitted to a local hospital via ambulance on 5/5 due to alterior fibulation (sp) where the top half of the heart beats WAY too fast and the bottom half slows down far too low trying to compensate. She had previously had "mild" congestive heart failure from a heart attack and subsequent triple by-pass in 1998.... that brings us to today.

We called 911 again this morning for mom.... what appeared to be another A-fib episode is actually internal bleeding (from somewhere, we aren't exactly sure yet) which caused low blood volume, low red cells, etc. This is due to some sort of internal "leakage" ulcer, colon pollop or something, when combined with the blood thinner they have her on.... well she has blood loss. The combination of all of this made her heart rate go way up again and when I checked her vitals I thought it was A-fib. Either way she needed to go to the hospital and I am thankful she is being treated, hopefully she is still strong enough to rebound from this. This is not good y'all, not good at all. She is in ICU at this time, they don't allow visitors between 5pm & 8pm so we came home for a short respite....

I am posting here and a couple of other message boards I go to in the hopes that those of you who pray will do me the honor of mentioning my sweet mom in your prayers. Thank you.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Consider it done Cat.. If there is anyway we can help Jimmy and you out we will do whatever we can do. Send me a email and let me know how things are doing soon.

06 HR PDQ 40'
crudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:28 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Don't know if I know you personally or not but I have a long list of people I pray for every night. Your Mom will go to the top of the list starting now. God bless you all as you deal with this sitution.

Donna R
Old 05-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Cat we will be praying for your mom and you, Dorinda will call our church pray line and have them start a prayer chain for her and like Steve said if there is any thing we can do for you just let us know. JIM & DORINDA
Jim & dorinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Cat -

Even though we've not met yet, please know that our hearts are saddened by your news and we will certainly be adding your mother to our list of thoughts and prayers. Time and distance prevent us from doing many things for those we care about, but we can pray! Many of us have been in your situation and we know you need strength in the days ahead as well!

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:49 PM   #7

Thank you so much.... it seems our prayers are being answered, slowly but answered. She is now "stable" and her condition is improving. I am more optomistic today, not a lot but a little. Her INR numbers are going down (blood thinner ratings) which means she is able to clot again. Her hemogloben numbers are going up so that means she is stronger. They have given her six units of blood and three plasma... it seems that is helping.

Now that she is stronger and more able to withstand it, they will be doing an upper GI scope tomorrow to attempt to find the bleed and repair it. She is regaining her sense of humor and is awake more now... that means a lot to me at this point.

Tomorrow is her 76th birthday and while a scope isn't exactly a great gift at least she is improving....God and her doctors are doing a pretty good job and that's all I can ask for.

Thanks again y'all.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #8

Thanks to those who replied...

I get the feeling I shouldn't have posted about this here. Please excuse my mistake.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Cat,
Your boomer familiy is here so why not post here. So glad to hear your Mom is improving and our hope and prayer is that she will continue to do so and soon overcome this problem.

Pat and I send our thoughts and prayers for you, Jim and for your Mom's quick recovery.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cat, glad your Mom is improving and our best goes to you and your family. Keep us posted.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Cat

You can add Charley and me to the list. Do keep us posted, Charley wanted to know what hospital she was in? Don is correct, the post is just fine.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:17 AM   #12

As of yesterday mom is finally stepped down to the cardiac monitored ward.... at St. John's Hospital. She is still VERY weak and it will likely take a while before she is strong enough to go home. Even if she gets released from the hospital, we are having to consider a skilled nursing center for a few weeks.....
Old 05-31-2007, 03:23 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Cat -

The beautiful thing about this forum is that it is our place to connect with one another. The topic (s) may or may not be of interest to every person who logs on this area, but it is our place to share news with each other.

When Warpath founded iRV2.com back in 2000, his desire was that this forum (unlike many others) would be a family site. Over the years, we've become an RV'ing family.

What happens in one family MATTERS to others because we are connected. When we had to put our beloved Sheltie, Bandit, to sleep two years ago...my grief was shared with my friends on irv2.com through this medium. I don't know how I made it without the words of encouragement.

If something is posted that is questionable, one of the forum moderators will private email you. That's our job - that's what we do!

Nothing you've shared is questionable - so PLEASE keep us posted on your mother's situation and come here often for encouragement, strength and help from YOUR FRIENDS who'll meet you right here!

luv
Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cat, we know what you are going through with your Mom. My Mom (81) is in a nursing home and likely will not get out of there. She has really gone down since the first of the year. Susan's Dad (soon to be 84) beat the odds with a heart valve replacement at the age of 80. In the last year he has really slowed down.

It is really tough to see the parents that we have seen as strong for so long start to look frail and weak. And what is doubly scary is that is the direction we are all headed. Makes you realize that we are not immortal.

Give your Mom a hug from me and Susan.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote