Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:05 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
All my Texas Boomer friends know my "fear" of pulling the rv with Rusty's Dodge Ram 3500 six speed...I've never been afraid of anything like that in my life! I can drive the truck just fine, but for some reason I haven't been able to get over my fear of driving it with the rig attached!

TODAY I DROVE IT! I am so proud of myself!!! Although it was only about 100 ft - in a straight line with a curve to the left to turn it around, but I DROVE IT!

We had to do some "maintenance" in the rig this morning and pulled it out of the slot. Heading back to the slot I finally managed to get up enough nerve to ask if I could drive it in a straight line!

WHOO-HOO! I'm now ready to drive it around the storage facility parking lot! Maybe I won't need that "other rig" after all!

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2007, 06:05 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
All my Texas Boomer friends know my "fear" of pulling the rv with Rusty's Dodge Ram 3500 six speed...I've never been afraid of anything like that in my life! I can drive the truck just fine, but for some reason I haven't been able to get over my fear of driving it with the rig attached!

TODAY I DROVE IT! I am so proud of myself!!! Although it was only about 100 ft - in a straight line with a curve to the left to turn it around, but I DROVE IT!

We had to do some "maintenance" in the rig this morning and pulled it out of the slot. Heading back to the slot I finally managed to get up enough nerve to ask if I could drive it in a straight line!

WHOO-HOO! I'm now ready to drive it around the storage facility parking lot! Maybe I won't need that "other rig" after all!

Sandy
Old 04-14-2007, 07:08 AM   #3

Hi Sandy,
You go, girl! You have given me courage, I plan to go out this very minute and hook up the trailer and take off for a test drive while Tommy is in town in my car. Why don't we meet halfway?
Patti Kerlin
Tom and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
If Shirley, the Newlywed, at age 76 can drive her TT through Houston out to Rayford having never pulled anything before, I think all of us gals should consider giving it a shot.

Donna
Old 04-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Ya'll know me - I'm fearless about most things, but that ONE bad experience in Georgetown on our way to the Rally at Lampassas just did me in

However, one small step forward for womankind was taken today ....although it was only 100 yards m-a-y-b-e....it was the longest miles for me overcoming that awful pit in my stomach!

I think I'll drive it around the storage lot for awhile before even thinking about pulling out into the road!

Patti, our date will have to wait until I get 300 yards under my belt!!!!

Sandy
Old 04-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sandy, I was sure you could do it if you just tried....
Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Sandy,

When I was married we had a 29 ft. Kountry Air fifth wheel. My husband took me to an empty Park and Ride lot on a Sunday and taught me how to drive it there. From then on I was the one who drove the trailer and he rode his Goldwing.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:24 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
You give me inspiration girl! There are a number of ladies who are the principle drivers of their RV's - you, Carla Clifton and Ree Ivy are my Texas Boomer role models!

There's nothing that says we can't learn the ropes and be every bit the drivers our male counterparts are - nothing to overcome but my fear!

Sandy
Old 04-16-2007, 03:40 AM   #9

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Madame Boomer:
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:08 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Welcome to my world! HAHA

2005 Dodge 3500 Diesel
The Cliftons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Sandy,

Sandy,

I am proud of you. I have only pulled ours one time and had to pull it to Somerville 2 hrs away, by the time I got there I had to pry my fingers off of the steering wheel. I still am not comfortable pulling it. One time I went under an underpass and was not sure how tall the rig is so this is terrible to say but, I just closed my eyes and prayed!!! Larry was in front of me so I figure he realized how tall it was and would fit. Anyway, I am proud of you but I won't ever pull again unless I am forced into it again and hopefully that will not be soon.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:12 PM   #12

All us women should be able to drive our RV's if we are not the principal driver (I am... first time I drove it was on a 5 1/2 hour trip, route took us thru Atlanta). We all need to be comfortable enough to drive the RV in case our spouse (or significant other) is unable to.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The only time I "drove" ours was when we were taking a short cut from De. to Va. and got lost. We ended up at a very low underpass bridge,no where to turn around and way too many miles to back up.Tom "thought" we could make it so I got behind the wheel and he climbed up the embankment to see if we could squeeze under! I eased forward a little,hearing awful schreeching noises then he told me to stop. He then climbed the back ladder so he could see the top and told me to pull forward some more-more schreeching noises! I made it through though with no damage but a cracked vent cover! We hope we don't see this some time on Americas Funniest Videos! What an experince driving it the first time!

Dianne
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Lorna -

There are more women just like me who are the passengers rather than the drivers. It's all too easy to sit on "that side" of the truck and let the guys do their macho manly thing, however we must be prepared to take over if necessary.

I'm in awe of women who are the principle drivers..like you. You had/have no choice but to get out there on the road and go because of your love of camping/RV'ing. Ya'll are an inspiration!

I've said for years and I've meant every word of it....if a person is deathly afraid of doing something - then they shouldn't be doing it!

The main reason is if a person is not comfortable in their situation, they are a threat on the road. I could easily endanger the lives of those in my vehicle (me included) AND the lives of those on the road around me.

One has to feel confident on the road, comfortable with whatever stops in front of you, pulls around you, falls from the sky or whatever scenario (and RVers see it all) and competent to operate the equipment (truck or motorhome, whatever).

I'm not confident, comfortable or competent by any means at this point....but at least I'm working on it. One of these days!!!!

Diane, You go girl! If I had been in that situation...I would have dug a hole and crawled in it = been scared to death. At least Tom was there ....he kept telling you to pull forward!!!!

Sandy