Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #43
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Main thing here is that Barbara got some much need help ! I know we must have many more boomers living in that area that we have not even heard from. I do hope everyone down there is OK.

While my Sister did not have any wind damage, she lives right on Matagorda Bay near Port Lavaca and they got about a 6-7 ft surge that washed out the road to her property and left the ground too soggy to park the trailer back on right now. Will have to move her back in a few days
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2008, 02:38 AM   #44

Texas Boomers Club
Glad to hear from folks. We had wind and rain in College Station. We do have a small tree down that nearly fell on the house next door. Glad to hear Barbara is okay and she got the generator. Cell phone service was not good when i talked to her.

Living the good life with Texas Boomer Friends
ajn/cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:36 AM   #45
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank everyone for all your thoughts and prayers for those of us in this area of the country. I have talked to Rusty and they like us had some tree damage, but are ok other than we have no electricity at either house. Came to check on the office and try to do a little work. We hope all our other Boomer friends fared as well and wait with great anticipation to see them back on the boards. Hope to see everyone soon.

Amber Brown
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #46

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Don Allen you are indeed a saint! You have my great appreciation and many, many THANKS!

I had problems getting gas coming home but made it ok. The generator has been installed. I have an old freezer with lots of ice so the food was ok. I'm not so sure about the freezer above my refrig. It is fairly new and not built as well. Everything was not completely frozen there. They are both running on the generator now. I am staying in the motorhome in the closest campground I could find with power.

My house still has no power. There is major tree damage to my area. I had a tree split and fall into the street. Tree parts and debris covers my yard and driveway. My patio cover was damaged, fence down, banana trees shredded, fireplace cap flew off the front and ended up by the back yard, and the pool is full of debris and starting to turn green because of no circulation. My house inside looked ok with a flashlight.

We had trouble getting back in the area because of gasoline lines blocking the Love's at Hwy. 290 @ FM 2920. There was water covering the roads in three places and it looked like Hwy. 249 had places closed due to water covering the road. Things look better today although both my home and work are still without power. There are long lines at every gas station that is open and lots of stop lights are not working. FM 2920 @ Hwy. 249 is a major intersection in Tomball and they had police directing traffic today.

Thanks again to Don and also to Annette who offered me help. You are both treasured friends!
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #47
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Glad I was able to help Barbara. If the stuff in your freezer was still cold and was not opened and exposed to air, it should refreeze just fine.

We hope everyone's life down in that area gets back to normal as fast as humanly possible.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:29 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We came back to our home on Sunday morning. We just got power back Monday afternoon late. Lots of tree debris and one tree with the top broken out. The in-laws had a tree on the garage roof....no damage.

We got home and got the generator on the freezer and frig, just in time.

We have a generator and about 10 gallons of gas left if anyone needs it. We also have about 20 gallons of bottled water...

We are on a well, so we have plenty of water. Anyone here needs a hot bath and place to relax...just email me or call. The number is on the pink scroll.

Barbara, I did not know we were to call you when we left. We were a bit busy with Susan's folks. Her Dad is a hand full.

We saw Rusty and Sandy Monday night and they are fine, just no power, no phones and no cell service in their area.

Mike and Amber and the trailer are fine.

let me know if we can help. All we are doing is picking up around here.

Randy, thanks for thinking about us...we are doing great.

Ken and Susan
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #49
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got our power back. Still having problems finding fuel since there is still so much power outages. The Coastal areas are devistated some entirely gone. Guess we were blessed. Hope all our Boomers are OK, sounds like most faired pretty well, still cleaning debris out of the yard lost many limbs and one big tree in the back, and some fence. Thanks for all the prayers from everyone. It will get better.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Still no power at my house so Don's generator is happily humming (along with several others in my neighborhood). I sat in line for over an hour to get more gas for it today. Tree debris is stacked several feet high on my driveway and side yard. I cleaned what I could but still can't get to a lot of stuff. My yard crew came today and got the back yard cleared somewhat and cleared & mowed the grass they could get to in front. It will take several trips before my yard is back to normal and I still need a new fence, patio cover, and fireplace cap. The pool is in horrible shape. I called my pool company but they have no power/phones there either.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #51

Texas Boomers Club
Well it's Thursday morning and I'm still at work. We worked through the storm and luckily no one got hurt or killed. We've put in a lot of hours, but we have helped people get back on their feet and feel safe and secure. One of our biggest jobs has been to keep the gas lines going when the stores opened and to get people into the PODS where supplies are available.

I talked to one of the State Troopers that came back from Galveston duty yesterday and he said that Galveston is badly damaged and that they really don't have an idea how many dead they may find. I saw in the online paper that the count is 19 for Galveston County.

You know, most of us just lost some of our "stuff". We pay a lot of money for insurance, so now it is time they paid some of it back to us. We have been very lucky to not have lost everything, and especially lucky because no one was injured or killed. An officer I know lost everything in his house including his new truck and a brand new motorcycle that he bought last week before the storm, both of which went completely under water. One of our officers had a water leak in the walls, which caused mold and now FEMA has told him not to take anything out of the apartment including his clothes.

Believe me, I feel very lucky!
Old 09-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #52

Hi All

I am glsd you are all okay. We still do not have power and have a large hole in the roof of a oak tree that came down in the storm. State Farm has not even asign a claims adjuster to us and can not do any repair until they see it boy I am glan I have State Farm!

Bob

Freightliner Custom Chassis
Bob & Darlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bob, glad you are OK. There are a lot of folks much worse off than most of us.

As for State Farm, can you take lots of photos and get on with getting it repaired. Kind of hard to keep the rain out with a hole in the roof.

I'd call and ask for a manager...start to rattle some chains....desperate times...desperate measures.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #54

Texas Boomers Club
Hi All,

Sorry we haven't been in touch, just busy busy dealing with Ike, we are safe and sound, finally got power and internet service back today at 7:45pm. Its been a long 9 days. We left Alvin TX last Thursday and went to Austin to LoneStar Carefree RV park on Hwy 35, the people were so nice there to accommodate us and if you ever get time to go for a visit while in the city of Austin you will be pleased with their hospitality. We were there for 3 nights then moved to Gonzales/Smiley TX for 3 nights with family who have 25 acres with 4 RV sites in the wilderness, it was nice, very quiet and the sound of coyotes was great in the evenings and helped us to relax during our stressful time awaiting the return to our home not knowing what to expect.

We returned home on Wednesday evening as I had to return to work on Thursday. We have been living in our RV with a generator to run everything since Wednesday when we returned until 7:45pm tonight, Sunday. Thanks goodness for RV's, big trucks and generators! Tonight when we moved out of the RV, my parents returned to town and moved into the RV so they have some A/C and electricity.

Our home town of Alvin is still a mess but a work in progress. Most of the power has been restored however there are a few areas like my parents neighborhood who do not have power. FEMA Pods are available in a couple of places providing water and ice and hot meals, however thanks to our RV we have not had a need for assistance. All grocery stores and gas stations are open and gas is readily available. Businesses are slowly opening but many have been damaged and will take a while to be repaired.

The damage from Ike is unbelievable but we have been blessed as our friends, family and neighbors are all pulling together to recover. My faith in humanity has been renewed as everyone has been wonderful during this crisis.

We are very lucky as we only have fences down, no damage to our home and are the LUCKY ones.

Please pray for those in Galveston, Freeport, Bolivar and other ares who were damaged so severely, please give what you can to the recovery efforts that are in place, i.e., salvation army, FEMA, Red Cross, etc as they have been wonderful in caring for everyone affected by IKE the horrible!

One thing that Larry and I have learned in all of this is that our RV, truck and generator are life savers and we will NEVER be without them if we can help it.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts, prayers and offers of help. A special thanks to our friends the Mabee's and Johnson's who offered to open their homes to us during our difficult time.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #55

Texas Boomers Club
Jodi -

I tried to call you last night, but didn't have the right phone number. I've been so worried about ya'll down there in Alvin. We were hit very hard in our area, but thankfully no damage to us, the dogs or our home.

Today is day 11 without power...hopefully tomorrow!

Ken and Susan Wilson came to our rescue and we are currently staying in their rv - what a blessing to have such good friends! I know what heaven is now...it's called a twinkie!

I cannot be boastful though...so many people have no power or nothing to go home to.

love ya
Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:35 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
HI all,
Fortuately we were on the East coast during Ike, so we missed all of it's fury.
We have been checking on Irv2 and noting that those that have checked in are all ok.
Our family that live in the Houston area are all ok. Some are still without power, as all of the electric infrastucture is above ground.
We are in Livingston, TX this am and we are headed to Magnolia today.
It is unbelievable the damage that Livingston got from a hurricane. The power is restored in most areas and people are moving on with their lives. TEXANS ARE SO RESILIENT.
Just read about Bernest. We are so sorry to hear about his accident.
rad1945 is offline   Reply With Quote