Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Belle is still at the vets getting fluids and is doing better. Hopefully we can get her home this afternoon. Guess we will have to rob two banks to get her out of hock.

cwray, flat towing the car will not put any more load on the coach tires. The tire man is just blowing smoke. Do you have load range D or E on the coach...it should be E and keep them aired up to the max. The large C's will pretty well load up an E range tire when loaded.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #44

Sandy
No damage to rig, everyone is ok. Just some delays and time spend both on the side of the road and in the tire store.

Ken
The tire store in Austin was great they helped all they could. Tires are load range E and were properly inflated.

The one blowing smoke was the claims department at Cooper corp. I am not finished with them yet.
I now have all the specs for the motorhome etc. Next week I will take the tires back to the dealer here that sold them to me and see how they react. They admitted over the phone that those particular model tires were no longer being used on motorhomes.

Thanks.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #45

Texas Boomers Club
Ken,

Glad to hear that Belle is doing better. I hope you get her home in good shape today.

Charles,

If you're looking for a 16" E-rated tire (perhaps an LT235/85R-16E), I would highly recommend the all-steel construction Michelin XPS Rib. Although a little pricey, these tires are proven problem solvers under heavy 5th wheels (they are rated for commercial trailer service by Michelin) and are also a tire chosen by many hotshot drivers for use on their trucks.

I've used them on a previous 5th wheel and have them on my truck now and have never had a problem with them. They run noticeably cooler than the fabric-and-steel construction tires they replaced. I only wish they were available in the G load rating required for our current 5th wheel.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cwray:
They admitted over the phone that those particular model tires were no longer being used on motorhomes.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now they tell you...wonder why?

What kind did you put on this time or looking to install. We had great service out of Bridgestone commercial RIB highway radials on a class a and out class c.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #47

Thanks for the advice.

We did a lot of head scratching, talking etc.
Finally we did put on Michelin XPS. Yes they are expensive...

I could have replaced them with Coopers and received some credit since they had virtually no tread wear, however we were afraid to drive on the remainin tires even for the 200 miles home.

Walker Tire Co. in Austin did a great job. They worked with us to make the right decision and even tried to get cooperation from Cooper and the dealer here in Dallas that sold me the tires. This is not over but I will be surprised if I get anything other than an adjustment for more Coopers. I will let you know what happens.

Charles
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We got Belle home before lunch today and she is on a special diet fro about 5 more days. Seems to be doing OK and glad to be home with Teddy. Teddy kept going from room to room looking fro her.

Glad she is home...sad part is we are about $685.00 lighter in the checking account now. Glad we have a vet that has reasonable cost.

Ken