Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #1

Another LEO killed in the line of duty. It is reported that it was a diriver distracted by a cell phone.

I am leaving a day early (Today after work) for the truck gathering at this weekend at Rayford so I can be at the funeral for this officer. The funeral is going to be in Spring, TX tomorrow morning at 1100 hrs. (11 am)

Sgt. D. Fauntleroy
EBRSO Reserve Division

Link to story "Here".

Text of story,

Deputy constable hit by oncoming SUV on tollway diesWestpark Tollway closed for hours
By Jessica Willey
(10/01/07 - KTRK/HOUSTON) - As friends, family and co-workers mourn, flags are at half-staff at an office for Harris County Constable Precinct 5 and the Harris County Toll Road authority to honor Deputy Constable Jason Norling, who was killed in the line of duty Monday.

The eight year veteran of the force was writing a traffic ticket when an SUV hit him. Norling had pulled a driver over on the Westpark Tollway at Gessner. He was rushed to Memorial Hermann Hospital, where he later died. The driver of the SUV was questioned and has since been released.

HPD accident investigators say the driver who hit and killed Deputy Jason Norling was distracted. Neither the police nor the prosecutor on the case would elaborate, but the eyewitness I spoke to says the guy admitted to her he was reaching for his cell phone.

From 6am to 2pm every weekday along the Westpark Tollroad, Deputy Norling was a fixture. He was one of two deputies who patrolled those hours atop a motorcycle. Monday was his last.

"It's going to be sad," said Randy Johnson with the Precinct 5 Constable's Office. "We're going to miss him."

Around 10:15am, Deputy Norling was standing next to the driver's side of a Kia writing a ticket for a traffic violation. He was on the eastbound lanes of the Westpark Tollroad, when investigators say the driver of an SUV apparently didn't see him or the car he pulled over.

"He struck the motorcycle, hit the Kia, then hit the officer and flew him in the air, I understand a pretty good distance in the air," said Harris County Precinct 5 Constable Phil Camus.

It was 90 feet. Those driving up on the accident ran to the officer's aid as the driver who struck him, according to an eyewitness, wandered around and talked to anyone he encountered. The eyewitness does not wish to be identified. He told her, "I was reaching over for my cell phone and I think I killed him. I killed him."

Houston police confirm the driver was distracted. All other conditions were good. The weather was clear and according to his supervisor, Deputy Norling followed policy by pulling behind the car he stopped and activating his emergency lights. Though cars zip all the time as officers do their job on the shoulder, Johnson believes their policy is good.

"Westpark is a controlled access roadway and when you come from Fort Bend County, for instance, it's eight miles to the next exit," he said. "We're not going to follow somebody for eight miles to the next exit."

The 44-year-old driver who hit the officer was not arrested. He has not been charged and because of that, we are not identifying him. We are told he showed no obvious signs of impairment at the scene. He did submit to a blood test. The prosecutor says he will wait for the results before deciding which if any charges are appropriate.

Deputy Norling had been with the Harris County Precinct 5 constable's office for eight years. He would routinely be assigned to patrol the Westpark Tollroad on his motorcycle, looking for traffic law violators. Before joining Precinct 5, Norling worked for the Hempstead Police Department. He leaves behind a wife and a brother who also works for the department.
(Copyright © 2007, KTRK-TV)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #2

Another LEO killed in the line of duty. It is reported that it was a diriver distracted by a cell phone.

I am leaving a day early (Today after work) for the truck gathering at this weekend at Rayford so I can be at the funeral for this officer. The funeral is going to be in Spring, TX tomorrow morning at 1100 hrs. (11 am)

Sgt. D. Fauntleroy
EBRSO Reserve Division

Link to story "Here".

Text of story,

Deputy constable hit by oncoming SUV on tollway diesWestpark Tollway closed for hours
By Jessica Willey
(10/01/07 - KTRK/HOUSTON) - As friends, family and co-workers mourn, flags are at half-staff at an office for Harris County Constable Precinct 5 and the Harris County Toll Road authority to honor Deputy Constable Jason Norling, who was killed in the line of duty Monday.

The eight year veteran of the force was writing a traffic ticket when an SUV hit him. Norling had pulled a driver over on the Westpark Tollway at Gessner. He was rushed to Memorial Hermann Hospital, where he later died. The driver of the SUV was questioned and has since been released.

HPD accident investigators say the driver who hit and killed Deputy Jason Norling was distracted. Neither the police nor the prosecutor on the case would elaborate, but the eyewitness I spoke to says the guy admitted to her he was reaching for his cell phone.

From 6am to 2pm every weekday along the Westpark Tollroad, Deputy Norling was a fixture. He was one of two deputies who patrolled those hours atop a motorcycle. Monday was his last.

"It's going to be sad," said Randy Johnson with the Precinct 5 Constable's Office. "We're going to miss him."

Around 10:15am, Deputy Norling was standing next to the driver's side of a Kia writing a ticket for a traffic violation. He was on the eastbound lanes of the Westpark Tollroad, when investigators say the driver of an SUV apparently didn't see him or the car he pulled over.

"He struck the motorcycle, hit the Kia, then hit the officer and flew him in the air, I understand a pretty good distance in the air," said Harris County Precinct 5 Constable Phil Camus.

It was 90 feet. Those driving up on the accident ran to the officer's aid as the driver who struck him, according to an eyewitness, wandered around and talked to anyone he encountered. The eyewitness does not wish to be identified. He told her, "I was reaching over for my cell phone and I think I killed him. I killed him."

Houston police confirm the driver was distracted. All other conditions were good. The weather was clear and according to his supervisor, Deputy Norling followed policy by pulling behind the car he stopped and activating his emergency lights. Though cars zip all the time as officers do their job on the shoulder, Johnson believes their policy is good.

"Westpark is a controlled access roadway and when you come from Fort Bend County, for instance, it's eight miles to the next exit," he said. "We're not going to follow somebody for eight miles to the next exit."

The 44-year-old driver who hit the officer was not arrested. He has not been charged and because of that, we are not identifying him. We are told he showed no obvious signs of impairment at the scene. He did submit to a blood test. The prosecutor says he will wait for the results before deciding which if any charges are appropriate.

Deputy Norling had been with the Harris County Precinct 5 constable's office for eight years. He would routinely be assigned to patrol the Westpark Tollroad on his motorcycle, looking for traffic law violators. Before joining Precinct 5, Norling worked for the Hempstead Police Department. He leaves behind a wife and a brother who also works for the department.
(Copyright © 2007, KTRK-TV)
Old 10-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Oh my God! Our prayers go out to his family. That is so senseless. and if that driver isnt charged is worse yet. How that person can live with himself knowing he killed an innosent man ? is beyond me..
You all be careful going there today. There are so many nutto's on the roads now days. They dont seem to have any value on a life.
mavis

Harry, Socks, and Summer
M2Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
This was horrible to hear. Drivers all over the country are too distracted and cause accidents on a regular basis.

Texas has a "give-way" law to slow down and move over a lane if available to any emergency vehicle on the shoulder. I can not count the times that I have slowed, moved to the left, only to have the moron following me, move back over to the right lane and pass me with the LEO on the shoulder and lights flashing.

Everyone needs to pay much more attention to their driving.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #5

I just got back to Rayfords from the service for Dy. Norling. All along the road at the church were marked units with their light bars on. LEO's directing traffic, orange cones the whole works. The story of this officers death was on the late news I watched when I arrived last night. It was all over the news this morning as I was getting dressed for the funeral. So you would think that a lot of folks have heard or know he was killed by a distracted driver on a cell phone. Now for the "KIcker"...

In the MAJORITY of the vehicles passing the church that "I" saw the drivers were talking on their dad-burn. cotten-picken, dayumm cell phones!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don (W5IT):
In the MAJORITY of the vehicles passing the church that "I" saw the drivers were talking on their dad-burn. cotten-picken, dayumm cell phones! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That doesn't surprise me. It disappoints me, but doesn't surprise me.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some people never learn or even listen to what is happening.

Like to take a baseball bat to a lot of the folks.... but why mess up a perfectly good bat.

The local Ham clubs have been lobbying here to get some wording changed in the last cell phone bill...it would even eliminate the use of ham radios unless it was hands free.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote