Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:39 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Rick -
There's lots more of us Texas Boomers in the San Antonio area who can give more knowledgeable advice about locations for home, school and such! Glad you've narrowed down the area - it's hard to plan a move when you don't know exactly where you're moving to!

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Luckily I have a very smart wife who did all the research up front. She narrowed it down to Boerne and her being there now is proving she made a good choice. I was able to get down there last month and absolutely loved it. The only reason I was considering DFW was a possible transfer from work. To be honest, after hearing about the snow the other week, it reminded me that we are trying to get away from that nasty white stuff.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #17

At the risk of everyone thinking we have no idea what we are doing, I now need opinions on the Houston area. Again, we are looking for suggeations for fmaily friendly areas with excellent schools and close to recreation. I appreciate all the help from all you fine folks. I promise we will be figuring this all out in short order and hopefully be sitting around the camp fire laughing with new friends soon.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rick, the highest ranked school districts in the area are Katy ISD and Cypress Fairbanks ISD. Katy is to the west on I-10 and Cy-Fair is out Hwy 290 to the northwest. Fort Bend ISD is also ranked pretty high (located to the SW of Houston, Missouri City and Rosenberg).

Lots of nice homes in both areas. I do not think you want to get into Houston ISD and a few other do not rate very high. Of course with the nicer school districts come higher school taxes.

A bad thing about the Houston area is the higher auto insurance, home insurance and utility rates. Electricity runs about 30% over anywhere else in the state. Power is "deregulated" here so you pay what they charge.

I'd take living in The Hill Country over Houston any day, but you have to go where the work is. Commute times here can be real bear. I ride the Park and Ride bus into downtown since the company subsidizes the bus card heavily and save my money and nerves. We are 25 miles NW of downtown and it can be a 90 to over 120 minute trip home in the car.

Another nice area here is to the north in The Woodlands (Conroe ISD) which is pretty well regarded.

What part of town would the job be located?

If you want to look at some areas over here, let me know and we'd be happy to show you around.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:55 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Rick

I agree with everything Ken said in his post above. For the most part, we get acclamated to "city life" and there are some plus considerations. But the downside of Houston area is traffic, higher utilities, etc.

Should you come this direction, please know that you and the family would be welcome to stay with us - we have plenty of room and would enjoy showing you around our area.

Rusty and I live on the NW side of Houston (as do Ken and Susan) and we're in the Cypress Fairbanks School District. Pretty good area and not in the metro part of Houston.

Sandy
Old 04-28-2008, 03:51 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Rick,

HERE is some Wikipedia info on the Cypress area where a number of us iRV2ers live.

I live about 10 miles from work - my office is located near US290 and Beltway 8. Commuting time runs between 20 and 40 minutes, depending on traffic.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:42 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveling Teacher Send a message via Skype™ to Traveling Teacher
You might also consider Klein I.S.D. We lived in the northwest part of Houston (Champions/FM 1960 West).

Houston is rapidly expanding out 290 West (Cy-Fair ISD) and I-10 West (Katy ISD & Ft.Bend ISD).

Hope this helps.
Traveling Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
About 2 or 3 weeks back The Houston Chronicle ran a section with the rankings on all of the area school districts. By the test scores, you can pretty easily determine which districts to avoid.

You mention recreation...most of the larger areas are now going is a Master Planned Communities. These developments will include a recreation area. It depends whether you are looking for a subdivion type home or an acreage community. We have one acre that is heavily wooded in a area of home on 1 to 5 acre lots. Rusty and Sandy are a couple of miles from us and have a large city type lot.

While we can not offer accomodations, we would love to help you see the right areas and avoid some of the less desirable areas.

Ken

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 AM   #23

Thanks for the information. We are still in the looking part of the decision making process. I will agree that it sounds like for us, we would be better suited to the hill country life. The final deciding factor I think will be schools though. Kids come first.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #24

I can highly recommend Friendswood... I live here! hehehehehe.

Schools are great, close to Clear Lake, close to NASA, lots of hiking trails and parks, close to the beach. Sailing, hiking, geocaching, biking, roller blading, wind surfing - all easily available from here.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #25

Well, it is now official. I have set a date of 6/23 to leave for the Hill Country. We have decided to stick with the original plan and will be settling in in Boerne. I leave the 23rd with the moving truck and car in tow. I will be arriving no later than the 26th. We are in the process of looking for a house to rent until we decide exactly what part of Boerne we want to buy in. I now need to work deligently on finding a job. Have a good lead that will hopefully work out, but if anyone knows someone looking for an experianced corporate accountant, I know a good one. We have also lised the truck and camper in the classifieds to feel out the market and possible sell to help with purchasing a house, so I hope we have a chance to get to meet everyone before/if we sell. Thank you everyone for all your input. You all have been so helpful in us making our decisions. Can't wait to finally be there with the wife and kids and start getting settled in.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Rick -

Hope you journey to Texas is a safe one and we look forward to hearing from you when you arrive!

I know it's been an ordeal with family down here and you up there, but now that's over and the next phase begins.

We all wish you well in job hunting and getting settled there in the Boerne/San Antonio area.

Come visit us anytime the Boomers are in the area!

Sandy
Old 06-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #27

Well, I am now in Texas. I got in Tuesday night. Uneventful trip except for a tire blowout on the car trailer. A quick call to Budget Truck Rental and 45 min later I was back on the road. My hats off to them for such a quick turnaround. We have found a house in Boerne and getting all settled in. Hopefully we will be able to make a boomers campout soon to meet everyone.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to Texas....finally.

I wish that I could live in the hill country, but I can't do my work there.

Ken