Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While on our trip, I learned that they moved the site of our next model boat regatta in Texas to Lake Woodlands. Today, I made reservations at Rayford Crossing, the closest RV park to our sailing venue and learned that it will be their big Halloween weekend/chili cookoff. We'll be at the sailing venue all Saturday so we won't be able to participate in any of the festivities.

Anyone else planning to be at RC that weekend?

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While on our trip, I learned that they moved the site of our next model boat regatta in Texas to Lake Woodlands. Today, I made reservations at Rayford Crossing, the closest RV park to our sailing venue and learned that it will be their big Halloween weekend/chili cookoff. We'll be at the sailing venue all Saturday so we won't be able to participate in any of the festivities.

Anyone else planning to be at RC that weekend?

Charlie
Old 09-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Charlie, R/C sailboats? What class. I used to race EC12 and later AC class with Houston Madel Yacht Club.

What class is the race and I guess you will be at the lake in The Woodlands? I'll run up and offer moral support.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:29 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ken, it is the Regional regatta for the Star 45s. I think that the Houston Club is the official sponsor. Yes, the venue is Lake Woodlands.

I'd appreciate any moral support that I can get. My 6th of 16 showing at the Nationals in Mystic in August was more a result of a terrible venue than my own sailing, IMHO. My boat is competitive both boat speed and pointing with the best in the class. I just have to figure out how to sail it consistently at that level.

The competition should be robust.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Several people I have talked to have made reservations at Rayford Crossing for the chili cookoff weekend. I made my reservations last week in my favorite campsite #98.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have no idea which site we'll be in but I know that a fellow sailor has also made a reservation at RC for that weekend. We plan to leave the Dallas area very early on Friday morning and hope to be at RC around noon. There is a practice race that afternoon for the model boats. Who knows what the schedule will be after that.

We are looking forward to seeing any of our Boomer friends who have decided to attend the chili cookoff.

Charlie
Old 10-13-2008, 07:56 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Charlie, Ellen and I will be there that weekend also. I used to sail the Star 45's, might have to come over watch you guys for a while.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ron, the sailing venue is 2500 Lake Woodlands Drive, Spring, TX 77380. Hopefully you and Ken can stop by and cheer me on - or watch me mess up. The Star that I'm sailing is the Ozmun hull that you helped Judy get for me in the early 90s. It was very competitive this summer and I probably could have done better than 6th place at the Nationals in Mystic Seaport with it if that venue hadn't been so bad.

They had us come 2000 miles to race over an ACTIVE Coast Guard buoyed channel where all of the boats using it had right of way over the racing models. It was all about where you were when that traffic showed up. We were instructed that we had to abandon racing for the channel traffic. I made the mistake of trying to sail around a launch in the wrong direction and was threated with expulsion from the even twice because of that one incident. The Woodlands venue will not have any of those problems and the level of competition should be as good as the Nationals was.

Charlie
Old 10-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Charlie,

I'll run up there and watch the races, but we are not going to stay at Rayford. I guess you have sailed at Lake Woodlands before and know the layout. No boat traffic, but the foot traffic at the edge of the lake can get heavy.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #10

Well I think I may be a LITTLE late. I'm gonna be at Rayfords Crossing the NEXT weekend. (Halloween weekend)
Old 10-14-2008, 02:53 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, Ken. This is my first visit to the Lake Woodlands venue. I'm sure that the local foot traffic can be a problem as it is with several of the other places that I've sailed.

The Mystic River was the worst place that I've ever sailed.
- I'm great at timed starts but I had to abandon them. The wind shifted 30-40 degrees instantly and there were a lot of times when you couldn't cross the line on one tack or the other. I had to sit on the line and wait for the last 5 seconds to know which way to go.
- there was a significant current, worse on one side of the course than the other. The stronger wind usually favored the heavier current side so it was hard to know what to do
- there were jellyfish. They would wrap around your keel and stop your boat almost dead.
- the course was set on the far side of the channel. That meant that the nearest part of it was about 40 yards away. The far end of the start line was closer to 60 yards away and the sun was behind it. We started in the afternoon and the glare made it all but impossible to see what was happening during the start sequences.

The Lake Woodlands site will seem like heaven to me after that.

Charlie
Old 10-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Samantha and I are coming to Rayford for the Chili & Halloween party!

We had a great time last year. Rayford always throws a great party.

Be in site 75.

Sue
Sue Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
The Rogers will be there. Will be in site #52. Just going for some rest and relaxation before hunting season. Looking forward to seeing you all.

Cody "Let's Fish/Shoot" Rogers
txlawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow! It looks like we have a mini, unplanned rally going here. It will be great to see everyone. I have no idea where they will put us so I cannot post a site #. Another one of the sailboat racers and I have made reservations.

Friday night might be a chance for us all to get together. We will have a practice race for the sailors in the afternoon but, as far as I know now, have no plans for Friday evening.

Ideas?

Charlie