Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have heard from a few of the folks in the Houston area and so far they are fine. Mostly an inconvenience of no power, limited food and limited fuel.

We were the lucky ones in that we got power back late Monday. Nothing damaged at the house and the RV carport was undamaged. The Twinkie is safely tucked away. Our neighbor hood was a priority area as they had to get us up to feed power to other areas.

I am still cleaning up debris since we have our place to clean up as well as the in-laws place. Several trees down or damaged, but no damage to either home.

I still cannot go to work as lots of buildings downtown were damaged. The IT folks were asked to report to work this morning.

Rusty and Sandy (Madame Boomer) are OK and still with out power or phones. Cells do not work in her area.

Barbara Spade is doing OK with the generous loan of the generator from Don Allen.

Mike and Amber are back with power and on line. I'll let them fill you in on their adventures.

NW Houston are was hit hard, but nothing like the areas along the coast. We would like to learn about Jay and the others that lived to the south and east of Houston.

We have a 6500 watt generator here waiting to run and our in-laws have a 3500 watt ready to go. Our daughter has a 5500 watt generator that could also be used. We still have about 10 gallons of fuel for the generators.

If you hear of others from iRV2, please post on this thread about their status. It does not matter if they are Texas Boomers or not.

Our thoughts and prayers go to those less fortunate.

Ken and Susan

P.S. A special thanks goes to Don Allen for the suggestion for a featured check in thread for Texans.

And if you need a place to stop, get a hot meal, hot bath or a place to sleep...we have an extra room and also a 50 amp hook up on the side of the house.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have heard from a few of the folks in the Houston area and so far they are fine. Mostly an inconvenience of no power, limited food and limited fuel.

We were the lucky ones in that we got power back late Monday. Nothing damaged at the house and the RV carport was undamaged. The Twinkie is safely tucked away. Our neighbor hood was a priority area as they had to get us up to feed power to other areas.

I am still cleaning up debris since we have our place to clean up as well as the in-laws place. Several trees down or damaged, but no damage to either home.

I still cannot go to work as lots of buildings downtown were damaged. The IT folks were asked to report to work this morning.

Rusty and Sandy (Madame Boomer) are OK and still with out power or phones. Cells do not work in her area.

Barbara Spade is doing OK with the generous loan of the generator from Don Allen.

Mike and Amber are back with power and on line. I'll let them fill you in on their adventures.

NW Houston are was hit hard, but nothing like the areas along the coast. We would like to learn about Jay and the others that lived to the south and east of Houston.

We have a 6500 watt generator here waiting to run and our in-laws have a 3500 watt ready to go. Our daughter has a 5500 watt generator that could also be used. We still have about 10 gallons of fuel for the generators.

If you hear of others from iRV2, please post on this thread about their status. It does not matter if they are Texas Boomers or not.

Our thoughts and prayers go to those less fortunate.

Ken and Susan

P.S. A special thanks goes to Don Allen for the suggestion for a featured check in thread for Texans.

And if you need a place to stop, get a hot meal, hot bath or a place to sleep...we have an extra room and also a 50 amp hook up on the side of the house.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 09-17-2008, 04:39 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I've been back to work since Tuesday. As Ken said, we have no power, hard phone line or cellular phone service at home. We lost water pressure Sunday morning but the MUD's service company got the generator back on line at the well/pumping station and we've had water since then.

Our neighborhood (Lakewood Forest) has (had) lots of trees. That's nice - until a hurricane hits. Now we have many power lines down and power poles snapped off, so it's going to take some time to get us back on line. CenterPoint says they're waiting on power poles - we have 10,000 crews and trucks in from across the United States but apparently are running short on material (poles, wires, transformers, etc.)

For us, though, Ike has only been an inconvenience as we only lost some tree branches. The house was not structurally damaged, the vehicles and RV came out OK, etc., so insofar as our situation is concerned, we are blessed compared to many of our neighbors.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I took the trailer to Port Arthur on Wednesday to a friend's house. They went to Breaux Bridge La. on Thursday and are still there. I've been in Manvel ( northern Brazoria County). Its been very rough here, but no one suffered any injuries and no one died, although I probably smelled like I had by Saturday night. As of 6 o'clock tonight I will have worked 108 hours since Thursday.

We are all fine but lost some trees, tree limbs and the fence, all expected. The truck and trailer are fine and should be home sometime either this weekend or next.

I'll try to post more, but they're calling me to go out again.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Geeze! what an ordeal, our area NW side of Houston faired OK, some trees down and lots of limbs, clean-up going OK only had a elec. chain saw not quite big enough for the fallen tree. Power is back has went off a few times but now finally back phones working. Ventured out today for tire repair and fuel. Really getting back to normal Wally World open
Hope everyone of our Boomer friends are OK, our thoughts and prayers are with all we haven't heard from.
A note we aren't going to ride out another one if their headed this way, we're going the other way.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
My house and work still do not have power. I have damage to patio cover, fireplace cap, fence, all backyard plants and several trees. My pool is a mess and turning green. Don's generator is still keeping my refrig. & freezer going (friend is maintaining it). The dogs and I are staying in a small RV park in Tomball. They called us in to work today and we opened the windows for light. No phones or power there but finally got water. Traffic is a mess by Hwy. 249 @ FM 2920 because stop lights are out and police directing traffic. I waited in line over an hour to get gasoline yesterday. I got to wash some clothes tonight in the campground laundry.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Barbara,

We have power and water. If you need to wash some clothes, come on over. Same offer to any other folks that need help.

We just about completed clearing all of the debris from the in-laws palce and the lawn tractor decided it was time to lock out with the clutch safety...no more workie it said. I will try to get it running this weekend.

Ken
Old 09-18-2008, 04:37 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks for the offer, Ken. People have really reached out and it shows me just how important my Boomer family is to me. I can't express how much I appreciate everyone who has offered to help.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:06 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Ted and I had no house damage. The RV was OK also. Once the trees were cleared from our sub and the electric gate hand cranked open at the storage facility, we hooked up and went to Hempstead. By Sunday Ted had his recliner, color TV with football and A/C. We came home Wednesday to everything working. We can hlep anyone who needs it with phone, refrigerator, washer, extra bedrooms, etc.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:50 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Ellen, Michael and I are in good shape. Power returned late Saturday afternoon. Several tree limbs down, house made it ok. All vehicles and RV made it with no damage. We were very lucky out here on the west side. If you need something, just ask.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
well to update, we got our power back on Tuesday evening but it went back out last night, so I'm still in the dark. I'm at kims house in Texas City and they are completely restored!

Stella is still in Port Arthur but will come home when power is restored, hopefully by Monday. I got a day off today and should be off tomorrow but will go back in on Monday.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JayC:
well to update, we got our power back on Tuesday evening but it went back out last night, so I'm still in the dark. I'm at kims house in Texas City and they are completely restored!

Stella is still in Port Arthur but will come home when power is restored, hopefully by Monday. I got a day off today and should be off tomorrow but will go back in on Monday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Jay, glad to hear ya got some much needed time off. Being in TC there ya may need a trip to Bravos to help ya relax.

06 HR PDQ 40'
crudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:21 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Hi Everyone -

It is day 9 without power and news reports are saying it could be another week or longer ...in our area...to have power restoration.

I'm here at TxIceMan's house doing laundry and GREATLY appreciate the a/c, laundry and a hot meal NOT cooked on the grill for the first time in 9 days. I especially miss my computer and this is a real treat to be able to get online with other Boomers!

Glad to hear that others are checking in..you all have been on my mind and in our prayers during this recovery period.

I'll never take for granted again the conveniences we have and trying to maintain a positive attitude while the temperatures are rising this week. I've learned much through this first time experience, but one thing I know for sure...I would not have made it this far without my friends...

Take care, keep posting to keep in touch and we'll make it through this together!

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I finally got power at home and have moved back into the house. Yea! The insurance adjuster comes Wed. morning but he was not encouraging. My new fence is up but my pool is still in bad shape. The debris is piled up and covers my yard and driveway.

I still do not have power at work but they did pick up the debris piled by the street there. My daughter does not have power or water where she lives so she has been visiting a lot lately. (My job and my daughter are both in Tomball.)