RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Got this by E-Mail today and thought the Texas Boomers might enjoy.

Have you ever looked at a map of the world? Look at Texas with me just for a second. That picture, with the Panhandle and the Gulf Coast , and the Red River and the Rio Grande is as much a part of you as anything ever will be. As soon as anyone anywhere in the world looks at it they know what it is. It's Texas ! Pick any kid off the street in Japan and draw him a picture of Texas in the dirt and he'll know what it is. What happens if I show you a picture of any other state? You might get it maybe after a second or two, but who else would? And even if you do, does it ever stir any feelings in you?

In every man, woman and child on this planet, there is a person who wishes just once he could be a real live Texan and get up on a horse or ride off in a pickup. There is a little bit of Texas in everyone.

Did you ever hear anyone go, 'Wow...so you're from Iowa ? Cool, tell me about it?' Do you know why? Because no one cares about Iowa

Texas is the Alamo . Texas is 183 men standing in a church, facing thousands of Mexican nationals, fighting for freedom, who had the chance to walk out and save themselves, but stayed instead to fight and die for the cause of freedom.

We send our kids to schools named William B. Travis and James Bowie and Crockett, and do you know why? Because those men saw a line in the sand and they decided to cross it and be heroes.

John Wayne paid to do the movie himself. That is the Spirit of Texas .

Texas is Sam Houston capturing Santa Anna at San Jacinto .

Texas is huge forests of Piney Woods like the Davy Crockett National Forest .

Texas is breathtaking mountains in the Big Bend .

Texas is the unparalleled beauty of bluebonnet fields in the Texas Hill Country.

Texas is the beautiful, warm beaches of the Gulf Coast of South Texas .

Texas is the shiny skyscrapers in Houston and Dallas.

Texas is world record bass from places like Lake Fork .

Texas is Mexican food like nowhere else, not even Mexico .

Texas is the Fort Worth Stockyards, Bass Hall, the Ballpark in Arlington and the Astrodome. (guess now the Reliant Stadium, too)

Texas is larger-than-life legends like Michael DeBakey, Denton Cooley, Willie Nelson, Buddy Holly, Gene Autry, Audie Murphy, Tommy Lee Jones, Waylon Jennings, Janis Joplin, Kris Kristofferson, Tom Landry, Darrell Royal, ZZ Top, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, Nolan Ryan, Sam Rayburn, Howard Hughes, George H. W.Bush, Lyndon B. Johnson, and George W. Bush. and let's not forget GEORGE STRAIT AND FRANK ADAMCIK.

PANTERA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texas is great companies like Dell Computer, Texas Instruments and Compaq, Bell Helicopter And LOCKHEED MARTIN AEROSPACE, Home of the F-16 Jet Fighter and the JSF Fighter.

Texas is NASA.

Texas is huge herds of cattle and miles of crops.

Texas is home to the most amazing sunsets of gold over an empty field.

Texans have pride like no others.

Texas is hundreds of deer running around neighborhoods and fields.

Texas is skies blackened with doves, and fields full of deer.

Texas is a place where towns and cities shut down to watch the local high school football game on Friday nights and for the Cowboys on Monday Night Football, and for a Night In Old San Antonio & the River Parade in San Antonio.

To drive across Texas is to drive 1/4 the way across the United States .

Texas is ocean beaches, deserts, lakes and rivers, mountains and prairies, and modern cities.

If it isn't in Texas , you probably don't need it.

Everything's bigger in Texas !

No one does anything bigger or better than it's done in Texas .

By federal law, Texas is the only state in the U.S. that can fly its flag at the same height as the U.S. flag. Think about that for a second. You fly the Stars and Stripes at 20 feet in Maryland , California , or Maine , and your state flag, whatever it is, goes at 17 feet. You fly the Stars and Stripes in front of Klein Oak High or anyplace else at 20 feet, the Lone Star flies at the same height - 20 feet. Do you know why? Because it is the only state that was a Republic before it became a state.

Also, being a Texan is as high as being an American down here. Our capitol is the only one in the country that is taller than the capitol building in Washington , D.C. and we can divide our state into five states at any time if we wanted to! We included these things as part of the deal when we came on. That's the best part, right there.

Texas even has its own power grid!! ... Did I mention Live music capitol of the world?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Got this by E-Mail today and thought the Texas Boomers might enjoy.

Have you ever looked at a map of the world? Look at Texas with me just for a second. That picture, with the Panhandle and the Gulf Coast , and the Red River and the Rio Grande is as much a part of you as anything ever will be. As soon as anyone anywhere in the world looks at it they know what it is. It's Texas ! Pick any kid off the street in Japan and draw him a picture of Texas in the dirt and he'll know what it is. What happens if I show you a picture of any other state? You might get it maybe after a second or two, but who else would? And even if you do, does it ever stir any feelings in you?

In every man, woman and child on this planet, there is a person who wishes just once he could be a real live Texan and get up on a horse or ride off in a pickup. There is a little bit of Texas in everyone.

Did you ever hear anyone go, 'Wow...so you're from Iowa ? Cool, tell me about it?' Do you know why? Because no one cares about Iowa

Texas is the Alamo . Texas is 183 men standing in a church, facing thousands of Mexican nationals, fighting for freedom, who had the chance to walk out and save themselves, but stayed instead to fight and die for the cause of freedom.

We send our kids to schools named William B. Travis and James Bowie and Crockett, and do you know why? Because those men saw a line in the sand and they decided to cross it and be heroes.

John Wayne paid to do the movie himself. That is the Spirit of Texas .

Texas is Sam Houston capturing Santa Anna at San Jacinto .

Texas is huge forests of Piney Woods like the Davy Crockett National Forest .

Texas is breathtaking mountains in the Big Bend .

Texas is the unparalleled beauty of bluebonnet fields in the Texas Hill Country.

Texas is the beautiful, warm beaches of the Gulf Coast of South Texas .

Texas is the shiny skyscrapers in Houston and Dallas.

Texas is world record bass from places like Lake Fork .

Texas is Mexican food like nowhere else, not even Mexico .

Texas is the Fort Worth Stockyards, Bass Hall, the Ballpark in Arlington and the Astrodome. (guess now the Reliant Stadium, too)

Texas is larger-than-life legends like Michael DeBakey, Denton Cooley, Willie Nelson, Buddy Holly, Gene Autry, Audie Murphy, Tommy Lee Jones, Waylon Jennings, Janis Joplin, Kris Kristofferson, Tom Landry, Darrell Royal, ZZ Top, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, Nolan Ryan, Sam Rayburn, Howard Hughes, George H. W.Bush, Lyndon B. Johnson, and George W. Bush. and let's not forget GEORGE STRAIT AND FRANK ADAMCIK.

PANTERA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texas is great companies like Dell Computer, Texas Instruments and Compaq, Bell Helicopter And LOCKHEED MARTIN AEROSPACE, Home of the F-16 Jet Fighter and the JSF Fighter.

Texas is NASA.

Texas is huge herds of cattle and miles of crops.

Texas is home to the most amazing sunsets of gold over an empty field.

Texans have pride like no others.

Texas is hundreds of deer running around neighborhoods and fields.

Texas is skies blackened with doves, and fields full of deer.

Texas is a place where towns and cities shut down to watch the local high school football game on Friday nights and for the Cowboys on Monday Night Football, and for a Night In Old San Antonio & the River Parade in San Antonio.

To drive across Texas is to drive 1/4 the way across the United States .

Texas is ocean beaches, deserts, lakes and rivers, mountains and prairies, and modern cities.

If it isn't in Texas , you probably don't need it.

Everything's bigger in Texas !

No one does anything bigger or better than it's done in Texas .

By federal law, Texas is the only state in the U.S. that can fly its flag at the same height as the U.S. flag. Think about that for a second. You fly the Stars and Stripes at 20 feet in Maryland , California , or Maine , and your state flag, whatever it is, goes at 17 feet. You fly the Stars and Stripes in front of Klein Oak High or anyplace else at 20 feet, the Lone Star flies at the same height - 20 feet. Do you know why? Because it is the only state that was a Republic before it became a state.

Also, being a Texan is as high as being an American down here. Our capitol is the only one in the country that is taller than the capitol building in Washington , D.C. and we can divide our state into five states at any time if we wanted to! We included these things as part of the deal when we came on. That's the best part, right there.

Texas even has its own power grid!! ... Did I mention Live music capitol of the world?

Old 08-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Jerry -

Thank you for sharing this! I have no doubt that all of us will be reminded of the blessings we've been given as a birthright for the priviledge of being born in this great state.

Many think of us as snobbish or uppity, but we are a proud people and there are no words in our language that truly can explain that sense of belonging. The reasons listed here only scratch the surface.

Sandy
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A big part of Texas is attitude.....and PRIDE in the state and what it stands for.

Native Texan and proud.

Ken
Old 08-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Back in the early '80s, I was in Coventry, England on a Sunday night on a business trip. I walked down to the hotel restaurant (I was probably the only person in the place) and hadn't said 5 words to the waiter when he asked where I was from. When I told him "Texas", he went into the kitchen and the next thing I knew, every employee in the restaurant was at my table wanting to hear me talk, asking how many horses and oil wells I had, etc. (this was when Dallas was on TV, even in the UK). They were fascinated to meet a real, native Texan.

Yes, it's a special place. To those who understand, no explanation is required. To those who don't, no explanation will suffice. I hope those who attended the 2008 iRV2 National Rally in Perrin came away with a flavor of Texas.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rusty, I had a similar experience in Glasgow, Scotland. Once I said Texas, the magic started. They want to know how many horses I had and honestly if I carried a six-shooter at home. Ashame I had not taken my boots and jeans. One of them ask me I had an oil well on my ranch.

Ken
Old 08-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #7

I have not had the priviledge of being born in Texas...esp. being born in Hawaii...but...

We bought our latest coach, the GS-DP from a dealership in Texas and we drove through the West Texas hill country on our meandering way home to Kalifornia (said with our Austrian Governor's accent... )

We found that the people were amazingly considerate and kind; the highways were spotless and if there was trash, it was actively being removed as we went by; the food was given in monumental proportions (Everything is BIGGER in Texas) and the RV dealer was as legitimately gratefull for our business and as god fearing as we were. We had a short but good time and we will be back to further explore this great state.

I may be from Hawaii but I proudly wear bolo ties, real cowboy boots (not gussied up fakes), jeans and a cattlemen's creased hat to work. I get teased from time to time but to me, they are as much symbols of Texas as they are of America.

The others can take their sideways mounted ball caps (the brims go forward you morons), turbans and burkas and go home!

Oh, and yes, I do carry a side arm from time to time.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quikduk -

If ever you're back in Texas, be sure to let us know! The Texas Boomers would love to meet you and share camping stories!

Sandy
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #9

I just could not let the opportunity to post on this thread go by. I am 1 of 8 generations of women to call Texas home; 7 out of 8 have lived in Bastrop County at some time in their life. This summer I have been reading "Lone Star" by T. R. Fehrenbach. I would highly recommend this book to anyone. I have always known that Texans had a different attitude, this book explains why. Did you know that "Texians" accomplished in 10 years what the Spanish and Mexico could not do in 300 years? Stephen F. Austin and his fellow Empressarios managed to "settle" the land. Did you know that Texas immediately applied for Statehood after San Jacinto. They were denied Statehood and so were forced to become a Republic. Ten yrs. later after Texas began preparations to include New Mexico, Arizona, California and parts of Colorado in their nation and began diplomatic relations with England and France the USA realized they had made a big mistake and offered concessions ie. the flag height and others for the Statehood of Texas.

Gee, I should have been a History Teacher, but a teacher friend tells me that those positions are reserved for football coaches.

Joan

Bill & Joan
Bill R. is offline   Reply With Quote