Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southeast Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #1

First Time Fulltimers - Where to stay in the Keys?

We are just starting to Fulltime and want to head to the Keys because we have always wanted to go there and we have never been.

We definitely want to go all the way to Key West but I'm not sure if we want to stay there.

I am a scuba diver so I want to dive in Key West and dive in Key Largo. We are planning to stay for 1-2 weeks depending on the cost.

Where would you recommend for a decent quality but not too expensive park to fit our 40ft DP?

We will be there in Feb or early March.
00wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00wabbit View Post
We are just starting to Fulltime and want to head to the Keys because we have always wanted to go there and we have never been.

We definitely want to go all the way to Key West but I'm not sure if we want to stay there.

I am a scuba diver so I want to dive in Key West and dive in Key Largo. We are planning to stay for 1-2 weeks depending on the cost.

Where would you recommend for a decent quality but not too expensive park to fit our 40ft DP?

We will be there in Feb or early March.
There are decent quality parks in the keys. There are NO inexpensive parks. Check the parks n Key West and you will be shocked out of your wallet.
I did it once, years ago, just so I can say "been there,done that,got the T-shirt"
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Curry Hammock State Park
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Check out Bluewater Key RV Resort. There are two websites to be found representing different owners of individual sites within the park. Only 14 miles from Key West. Not cheap but very nice and very convenient.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #5

As stated earlier, it is very expensive for campgrounds (in season) in the Keys. Reservations Feb and March are a good idea. State Parks must be reserved as soon as timeline permits (used to be 11 months in advance.) Key West is great to visit, but the scuba diving there is marginal. Be sure to dive at Looe Key.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00wabbit View Post
We are just starting to Fulltime and want to head to the Keys because we have always wanted to go there and we have never been. We definitely want to go all the way to Key West but I'm not sure if we want to stay there. I am a scuba diver so I want to dive in Key West and dive in Key Largo. We are planning to stay for 1-2 weeks depending on the cost. Where would you recommend for a decent quality but not too expensive park to fit our 40ft DP? We will be there in Feb or early March.
They will all be expensive in the lower keys. Boyd's is on Stock Island just outside Key West. There is a Venture Out and a KOA around Sugarloaf Key. Bahia Honda State Park is just east of Big Pine Key. Sunshine Key RV Resort is an Encore park just west of the seven mile bridge. Knights Key RV Park is on the west end of Marathon Key just before the seven mile Bridge. All of these are within about 45 miles of Key West. These all stay heavily hooked through February but should be more availability in March. There are several dive shops in Marathon who can help you with dive trips.

Welcome to the full time life and safe travels.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Yaj

We left "Boyds Key West Campground 2 weeks ago and I want to go back! We have pulled our own boat down from WI 4 times now, 3 times in August and now once in October. August is much better diving as we had to much wind in October to even get out to the reef. We did manage to get 16 lobster this trip (previously we brought home 50) I can't tell you where though as we were sworn to secrecy by the locals. Any way Boyd's is one of my favorite campgrounds, the people there can't be beat, both the staff and the campers. Every one is there to have a good time and the staffs job is to make sure you do! The diving out of Key West is great, you just have to get away from the cattle boats and explore, we have dove at Pennicamp, Looe Key and Key West. We actually like Key West the best, but then again we get off the beaten path. this trip I was able to touch the boat while it was at dock and our MH as it was at camp... at the same time.

Fort Myers, FL
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
There are decent quality parks in the keys. There are NO inexpensive parks. Check the parks n Key West and you will be shocked out of your wallet.
I did it once, years ago, just so I can say "been there,done that,got the T-shirt"
I hear ya. I know it won't be cheap that's why the short stay, but we don't need a resort park either because we plan to leave the park in our toad and take in the surroundings.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
As stated earlier, it is very expensive for campgrounds (in season) in the Keys. Reservations Feb and March are a good idea. State Parks must be reserved as soon as timeline permits (used to be 11 months in advance.) Key West is great to visit, but the scuba diving there is marginal. Be sure to dive at Looe Key.
The only thing I want to dive in Key West is the Vandenberg. I would also like to dive the wrecks along the Key Largo
Old 11-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj View Post
We left "Boyds Key West Campground 2 weeks ago and I want to go back! We have pulled our own boat down from WI 4 times now, 3 times in August and now once in October. August is much better diving as we had to much wind in October to even get out to the reef. We did manage to get 16 lobster this trip (previously we brought home 50) I can't tell you where though as we were sworn to secrecy by the locals. Any way Boyd's is one of my favorite campgrounds, the people there can't be beat, both the staff and the campers. Every one is there to have a good time and the staffs job is to make sure you do! The diving out of Key West is great, you just have to get away from the cattle boats and explore, we have dove at Pennicamp, Looe Key and Key West. We actually like Key West the best, but then again we get off the beaten path. this trip I was able to touch the boat while it was at dock and our MH as it was at camp... at the same time.

This looks like a great place to stay. Most of our stays will be inexpensive but we are treating the keys leg as our vacation.

Tags
fulltime