Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southeast Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:31 AM   #1

GA TAVT help

We are moving to GA this weekend. I purchased a car in NC and used my GA address for the tax and title, etc. The dealership did what think they is a good job of calculating the proper taxes, but I want to get feedback from people here that have purchased in GA. My understanding is that the car is subject to the Title Ad Valorum Tax, so no sales tax but 7% of the value plus a small title fee. Here are the numbers:

1. Agreed-to price: 22,174.00
2. Sales tax: 913.33 (4.11%)
3. License fee: 351.00
4. Title Fee: 18.00
5. TAVT: 1,563.31 (a little more than 7%; perhaps from the GA online calculator)

My address is in DeKalb county. The DeKalb county website said that no sales tax should be collected, so I'm questioning line #2. Also, is line 3 correct?

Thanks!
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2017, 04:49 AM   #2

I'd call the tag office at (404) 298-4000. Then you're not guessing.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #3

The 7% tax is a pre paid ad valorem tag fee. It is a one time tax on all motorized vehicles. Previously you paid a ad valorem tax on the value of your vehicle every year when you purchased your tag. Now that tax is no longer paid, you just pay for the tag, usually $20 as long as you own the vehicle. I think this should answer your questions.
Here is the information: https://georgia.gov/popular-topic/ad-valorem-taxes
The since you purchased in NC the sales tax should be the NC sales tax, not GA. Don't know what the license fee is for unless you are licensing in NC if not get a 30 day tag, get an official opinion on that. GA tags are $20, plus the cost of a new license plate, plus ad valorem, title fee may vary by county.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #4

I talked with the DeKalb office; thanks Stang. They confirmed what should have been done. I went to the dealer and they said they use a third party system for out of state purchases. It isn't always right, but it always gets corrected. There would be no NC tax because of the GA Address. They will mail a check to GA and then issue a refund to to me once everything is finished.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #5

Update:

The dealer re-cast the deal correcting the figures for the proper TAVT amount. It ended up being 1,100.00 in my favor.

On another note, I attempted to register my motor home today. That didn't go so well because I didn't have a copy of my title. But, I'm glad it didn't because I don't believe the the clerk that was helping me knew what he was doing, which concerns me.

The TAVT FAQ page and calculator say that the tax is paid on the value of the new value reduced by the trade value if purchased at a dealer. The clerk was taking the value of the new motor home, deducting the trade value, then adding back in the amount I owed on the trade.

My purchase price was 94,811.00. Trade in value of other camper was 18,700.00. I expected to pay the 7% TAVT of the net amount, 76,111.00, roughly 5,327.77.

The person that helped me said that only the "net" amount of my trade (trade in value less what I owed) would be used as a reduction in taxable value. The "net" per his calculation was 692.68, then he added in the 2,500 in taxes I paid to NC. His taxable value was 97,285 resulting in a TAVT of 6,810. That is a total difference of 1,482.24.

I have emailed the DeKalb county commissioners office to clarify what is supposed to be happening. I "know" I'm right because the online TAVT calculator is working exactly as I expect it to. If I am right, and this guy (at a minimum) has been overcharging people, the county is over-collecting. He said that another person put up the same fuss the other day for a very expensive car he had purchased and wasn't given full credit for his trade.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:47 AM   #6

And you can bet they'll take their time about giving that back too. I think they should do away with property taxes. It's perennial taxation on an asset that was taxed when you bought it.
Blubirdjokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubirdjokey View Post
And you can bet they'll take their time about giving that back too. I think they should do away with property taxes. It's perennial taxation on an asset that was taxed when you bought it.
It's a nationwide scam. I have a friend who recently moved from Georgia to Colorado. The car he bought last year and paid full ad valorem taxes in Georgia was then re taxed in Colorado when he registered the car there.
oldSarge98 is offline   Reply With Quote