Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
4 Corner Weighing- dumb idea?

Hi: I live in Ellicott City MD, and have just graduated from a B Sprinter (Roadtrek) to a 34' A (Tiffin gas).

I took it to a local truck stop for weighting, and am pretty good- but I would really like separate weights on all four corners.

This seems easier said then done! It seems I can go to a large show or rally, or visit a few places in Fl to get weighed. I thought about the half on/off the scale, but the results seem dubious.

Here is the dumb idea: If 20-25 people would "invest" $100 each, the group could purchase 2 very good scales for weighing individual wheels. I don't see any reason to weigh all four at one time as it would double the expense. I've seen used scales for less- but am concerned why they are for sale and calibration cost.

I would prefer the group to be within a reasonable distance of the "coordinator"
for convenience reasons.

Group members get free weighings, others can get weighed at the standard fee of $60- the money going into an account for maintenance or buying out members who may move or sell their RVs.

I see weighing rates at $60 for all 4 corners, with a re-weigh also costing $60. So this could be very cost effective.

On other forums I'm on this would probably considered a group buy. The difference here is that being close to the Storage location of the scales is a factor.

So think Ellicott City, MD, unless someone is more convenient to anyone who may be interested. I can envision meet ups where members could get together, and others interested could pay to get weighed.

I guess reply to list if anyone thinks this an OK idea, or tell me that it isn't. Or contact me via the forum

Bob (bob@rskillman.com)
Mowog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure why you don't do the half on / half off with a CAT scale. I've done this a number of times in the last couple years, and get reliable results compared to how things weigh in total with normal axle weigh......so I'm very comfortable with the results.

For less than 15 bucks in total, it's a great deal.

Since the scale I use is on a normal route I use and where I can fuel up, it can't get any more convenient as far as I'm concerned. No scheduling, shipping, or pre-planning required.

Just moved my daughter a month ago from CO to NC, and although I didn't do a 4 corner weigh (that time).....I did an axle weigh before leaving CO so I could up the tire pressure for the cross country run.

You can download phone app's that have the scale locations on it.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the scale has access and is level to the pad around it, then the four corners weights will be close enough.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #4

It seems like the CAT scale operators are getting pretty good at coming up with ways to prevent RV's from getting 4 corner weights by using the half on half off method. The scales I've run across that aren't elevated, are usually bordered by huge boulders, or iron pipe barriers.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
It seems like the CAT scale operators are getting pretty good at coming up with ways to prevent RV's from getting 4 corner weights by using the half on half off method. The scales I've run across that aren't elevated, are usually bordered by huge boulders, or iron pipe barriers.
If they have a pole next to the first pad, just put your fronts on pad2, and your rears on pad3.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:56 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Not sure why you don't do the half on / half off with a CAT scale. I've done this a number of times in the last couple years, and get reliable results compared to how things weigh in total with normal axle weigh......so I'm very comfortable with the results.

For less than 15 bucks in total, it's a great deal.

Since the scale I use is on a normal route I use and where I can fuel up, it can't get any more convenient as far as I'm concerned. No scheduling, shipping, or pre-planning required.

Just moved my daughter a month ago from CO to NC, and although I didn't do a 4 corner weigh (that time).....I did an axle weigh before leaving CO so I could up the tire pressure for the cross country run.

You can download phone app's that have the scale locations on it.
Tell me more about how to weigh 4 corners on a CAT SCALE I was on theri WEBSITE and tghey said they could not do it. But I think what you are saying is weigh it once when the Left side is on the scale and the right side is off...then go around and do the right side. I am i right? Thanks
KingCruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
That is what the CAT scales in my area have done. There is a waste high steel pipe barrier all the way down both sides of the scale platform. No way to get one side of the coach on any nearby scales.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:30 PM   #8

Smart idea!
I was a commercial pilot, constantly verifying weight and balance.
My chum owned a rambling wreck of a Class C.
I noticed extreme wear on her left-front tire.
After replacing both fronts, we went to a closed -- un-ossifered -- weigh-station.
Doing a weird ballet, we weighed:
* front axle
* rear axle
* each axle-end individually
We discovered her left-front tire carried nearly double its rating.
Investigating, we found:
* the start battery was above the left-front tire
* the water tanks were under and behind the operator seat
* the house batteries were behind the operator seat
* her kitchen and pantry with months of canned goods were on the operator side near the front
Her rig was unsafely out-of-balance... from the factory.
After an afternoon re-arranging her interior, then re-weighing, we got her closer to rational.
Another factor in the left-front over-load -- she has a fondness for a good buffet.
If there was such a thing, she could be in the running for a top title in Competitive Eating.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:18 AM   #9

Try this

He assembled a 20K tire scale for around $300, which I consider a great tool to have if trying to tune and balance your rig. He uses it for his truck, Jeep, truck camper, and fifth wheel, but it could be used for just about anything. And loan it out to friends.

It's built using a "livestock scale kit" with 4x5000lb load cells. The kit vendor is shown on the photos, and cost (at his time of purchase) $229 with free shipping. He used a cheap 1/2-13 tap off Amazon and the included bolts to mount it to a piece of 14x16x3/4" 6061 aluminum plate he purchased from an online metal distributor for around $80.

He calibrated it with 100lbs of dumbells, and have confirmed it reports values in-line with CAT scales at over 6K per tire.

His original setup had the load cells flush with the plate (you can see the old mounting holes in the bottom photo) but he moved them further outboard so he could run the feet up for a lower overall height (around 4.5") and allow for the load cells to fully flex without hitting the plate (which wasn't an issue at the weights I've tested, but might be towards the upper limits - say a class A DP rear). To get the most accurate readings, He's been using Lynx leveling blocks under the other tires so they're all at the same height as the scale. He's also used pairs of those blocks to ease driving on and off of the scale, and yes, you can put duals on it though they'll hang off the side.

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 07/22/21 04:38pm by n0arp *

Here is the kit he used
http://palletscales.net/scale_kits.htm
Old 06-12-2022, 06:26 AM   #10

I've used several CAT scales over the years. Never has one been capable of weighing one side at a time. Please share with us any that can do that, some moving companies have that ability.
I did go to an Escapees park in FL this past January for an individual wheel weigh but only because we were in the area.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:40 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Even if you feel like you need all four corners weighed, you don't need it all that often. There's a lot of hokum around getting a precise read.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:43 AM   #12

None of the CAT scales where I've been will do corner weights and in fact at one of them the attendant came running out yelling at me "YOU CAN"T DO THAT ON OUR SCALES!!!"
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:59 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
None of the CAT scales where I've been will do corner weights and in fact at one of them the attendant came running out yelling at me "YOU CAN"T DO THAT ON OUR SCALES!!!"
What did you do?
Old 06-12-2022, 07:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
What did you do?
I pulled up on the side of the scale with 1/2 my MH on the scales, there are no barrier posts on this one (Triple T Truck center exit 268, Tucson). I figured I would get one side weighed then subtract from the total weight to get corner weights. The scale kept calculating till the lady finally came running out. No dice.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote