Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Mid-Atlantic Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #1

Just wondering whether the 'local' experts can help out with any campgrounds that are open all year round within a 30-40 mile radius of Harrisburg, PA? I might be going there for work and we RV fulltime and am nervous about the winter. Does Harrisburg get a lot of snow? What are the temps like in Jan-Feb?

I believe KOA Pine Grove is open all year round but that is North of Harrisburg and was hoping to be as far South as I can to avoid the cold (every mile South counts!).

Tks.
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #2

Just wondering whether the 'local' experts can help out with any campgrounds that are open all year round within a 30-40 mile radius of Harrisburg, PA? I might be going there for work and we RV fulltime and am nervous about the winter. Does Harrisburg get a lot of snow? What are the temps like in Jan-Feb?

I believe KOA Pine Grove is open all year round but that is North of Harrisburg and was hoping to be as far South as I can to avoid the cold (every mile South counts!).

Tks.
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 09-19-2008, 08:18 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm sure someone still living in the area will be able to help you out better than I can but I am somewhat familiar with the area. I spent most of my life just east of Harrisburg until I went full time in 2001. The I know the Highmeadow Campground in Hershey is open all year but they do not have water at the sites during Jan-Mar.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I am somewhat familiar with the area as I lived most of my life east of Harrisburg until I became a fulltimer in 2001. I'm sure someone else will be able to offer better info but I will tell you what I know.

These are supposed to be open all year: the Harrisburg East CG and the Hershey Highmeadow CG. I have not stayed in either although I have bee to the Hershey one. It does not have water at the sites during Jan-Mar I know. The website for the Hbg East is hereand for Hershey is here

Ar for weather, I've not been there in the winter in a long time, except at Christmas, but my family stills lives there. The winters can be mild with little snow or they can be quite miserable with plenty of cold, snow and ice. It rarely snows before Jan. Personally I would never want to spend the winter months there in an RV if I had a choice.

About five years ago I drove the coach there for the Christmas holiday because I had to have some medical tests and treatments afterwards. I ended up being there 5 weeks and was going through a 28 gal tank of propane a week just to keep the coach warm enough to keep things from freezing. That happened to be in the top 5 for coldest Jan's or record though. I've been there for Christmas since when I never had to wear a coat.

Good luck with it. I sure don't envy you.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure about the severity of the winter in Jan but here is one that is open year round just outside of Harrisburg
http://westernvillagervpark.com/

Here is one about 50 miles south
http://morrismeadows.us/

I believe there are a few in the Gettysburg area also.

Have stayed in Western Village, Morris Meadows and Gettysburg area but not in the winter.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:24 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. I'll check these out but when I think of snow and the RV, it gives me the shivers. Perhaps I'll park it South and just fly in for the 2-3mths of really cold weather.

Tks,
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 10-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look at the PA State parks. They are inexpensive, and some are open year round, though I think the closest one to Harrisburg is in Birdsboro. It is very nice.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:23 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Lickdale Campground is open all year - north of Harrisburg. There are some in the Lancaster area that are open all year.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote