Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Mid-Atlantic Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:36 AM   #1

We are planning a 7 day trip into this area of PA. Does anyone have any experience at the Gettysgurg KOA. It looks nice enough in the pics but we all know how that can go.
We have a 27 ft TT with no slides.

thanks
Scott
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2005, 04:36 AM   #2

We are planning a 7 day trip into this area of PA. Does anyone have any experience at the Gettysgurg KOA. It looks nice enough in the pics but we all know how that can go.
We have a 27 ft TT with no slides.

thanks
Scott
Old 02-03-2005, 05:04 AM   #3

Scott,
We were there last summer and stayed at Drummer Boy Campground www.drummerboycamping.com
and thought it was great. They have several sections for camping including drive through sites, store, food, etc. The place is sort of new and not far from the battlefields. There is a place right outside (west I think)of Gettysburg on Rt 30 that raises and shows minature horses. The name is Land of Little Farm Park. www.landoflittlehorses.com Check it out while you are there. It is back a country road about 4 miles but worth the drive if you like that sort of thing.
If you go to Hershey don't stay at High Meadow Campground because there is a train track next to the campground and those trains ran all night long and I couldn't sleep but it is a nice campground other than that.
I didn't find Lancaster that great but was only there a day.
Good luck and have fun.
turnip
turnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 08:19 AM   #4

We were hoping to stay at one place and then make day trips from there. Hershey, Gettysburg and maybe some civil war sites in N. Virginia.
Thanks for the heads up on drummerboy, I will check it out.

Scott
Old 02-03-2005, 10:52 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Allegro Happy:
Scott, Drummer boy has been around as long as I've been camping.....30+ years. There are lots of trees. We like Round Top campground better, Good Sam too. Their website is: http://www.roundtopcamp.com Have fun and let us know. By the way, you are coming east for the National Rally in Lancaster PA in June aren't you??????? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 02:37 PM   #6

Scott,
When I was there last year at Drummer Boy everything was new. The store, playground, swimming pool and shower building was all new. They added 60 some more RV sites and new roads. I even asked the attendant about it and she told me it was all new. No idea what Allegro Happy is talking about.
turnip
Old 02-03-2005, 03:32 PM   #7

We'll be work kamping at the Gettysburg KOA beginning April 1 - be sure to look us up!

Tracy & David

Abby our best friend & bed hog
tracyre2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:45 PM   #8

Sorry Scott & Turnip, I went to the Drummer Boy site, boy did they add more sites. Maybe we'll go there too some time . It was really small at first. The lower site numbers around the checkin area was all there were. Boy am I OLD

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #9

Allegro Happy,
I was starting to think I was crazy. You should go back but if you do drive through the sites before you go in to the office. I found some that was all by their self and that's what I like.
I stayed at 3 campgrounds on that trip and Drummer Boy was by far the best.
turnip
Old 02-04-2005, 02:29 AM   #10

Thanks for all the helpful responses. The last time I was in Gettysburg was in 9th grade and unfortunately I didnt realize the significance of this area of the country at the time (historically)
We like to mix a little family fun in with some history so that our boys (14 & 11) dont realize they are actually learning.

In response to Allegros question about the rally in Lancaster, July is the only vacation time I get this summer so we wont be able to attend, maybe some future rally will match our schedule. I am always amazed at the friendliness of fellow RVers. I dont think it exists in many other segments of our society.

Thanks again
Scott
Old 02-08-2005, 07:34 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
I stayed at the Gettysburg KOA many years ago when I had my pop-up. Very nice and clean CG. My only complaint was that my campsite was not large enough. After setting up the Pop-Up, I barely had enough room for my pickup.

Maybe I just had a small spot. I was only there 2 days so I didn't have a close look around.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #12

Next time in Gettysburg stay at Drummer Boy Campgrounds. I stayed there last summer and liked it. If you go back, ride through the campground before going to the office. Some sites are bigger than others and some are more private.
turnip
Old 04-03-2005, 11:03 AM   #13

Coastal Campers
Been to both.. KOA is very nice, you should be very happ there... But Drummerboy is a little nicer.. some nice new bath houses..
Going to Drummer boy at the end of April..

Enjoy...

Driving down to Northern Virginia? Bring $$$ to leave behind & you are always welcome..