Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northeast Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #1

CT TO Alaska

My wife and I are in the process of planning a vacation in our 25' class c motorhome and am wondering if anyone from Ct has ever made the trip. At first I thought that going thru Canada to Thunder Bay then to Montana to Jasper Canada and on to Fairbanks returning along the coast to Washington. I'm guessing it will take us about 12 weeks taking our time to enjoy the ride. Any input, tips and info will be great. Thank you.
Burt
BROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #2

Many will tell you that the fuel costs in Canada could easily blow your trips budget. The trans Canada Highway across the north side of Lake Superior , has some beautiful scenery , but JMHO, on the multi day drive it doesn't change much.
Once again JMHO, I think you'd find travel through Michigan, and visiting areas like Traverse City more enjoyable.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Canada is costly but many areas worth seeing. 12 weeks will leave you wanting to do it again (nothing wrong with that).
We did the AK trip a few years back and spent 6 weeks in Canada going North, 2 months in AK and 4 weeks in Canada going South.
We still missed some things we want to do, so we are making the trip again this year.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #4

Sounds Like Fun

BRoy, From CT also. Still working so could not take that much time, maybe when retired. Last year, we flew to AK on business trip an rented a class C in Anchorage. Great trip, just wish we had reserved more time to see more. Can't wait to see your posts after the trip. What part of CT are you from? Tim
Old 03-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you want to see Jasper and Banff you are probably too late to find RV space inside the parks. This is Canada's 150 year anniversary and word is parks will be full . We stayed in both Banff and Jasper last June. I made my reservations in January.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLoon View Post
BRoy, From CT also. Still working so could not take that much time, maybe when retired. Last year, we flew to AK on business trip an rented a class C in Anchorage. Great trip, just wish we had reserved more time to see more. Can't wait to see your posts after the trip. What part of CT are you from? Tim
Hi Tim. We are from Norwich And a thank you to RockyMtnRide for the heads up
BROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:29 AM   #7

From Portland

Pass through Norwich several times a year with the MH on the way to Charlestown. Enjoy your trip, planning is a big part of the fun.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROY View Post
My wife and I are in the process of planning a vacation in our 25' class c motorhome and am wondering if anyone from Ct has ever made the trip. At first I thought that going thru Canada to Thunder Bay then to Montana to Jasper Canada and on to Fairbanks returning along the coast to Washington. I'm guessing it will take us about 12 weeks taking our time to enjoy the ride. Any input, tips and info will be great. Thank you.

Burt

We have a Winnebago View and make the trip to Alaska every summer from Maine. We have done both Canadian side and USA. Stop worrying about fuel. You are retired. We spend about $100 a day no matter what on driving days. Because it is Canadian 150 th year you can get a free pass to all National Parks. The Yukon campsites are as little as $8 and they give you free wood. Bring a good splutter though. Make sure to stop at Liars Hot Springs. Bust in weekend but usually able to get campsite during the week.
Dawson City is great but we camp across the ferry at the Provincial Park. Start early across the Top of the World Highway and miss most of the traffic. We like our breakfast at the Chicken Creek Cafe in Chicken, Alaska.
Favorite campsites in Alaska are the state parks in Hope and Captain Cook State Park near Soldatna. First come so most people don't drive in for fear of not getting a site.
bill.sahlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:10 AM   #9

Can't help but from Ct also. We are flying to Alaska in two weeks and will be staying for three weeks. Going to do a cruise there for one week then two weeks on land. I hope to do this trip in the rv once retired or semi retired.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote