Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northeast Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:12 AM   #1

Hi All

I'm asking these EZ Pass questions here on the Nor,Easter's board because our current travel options really don't extend much past the Northeast area at this time. Do any of you use EZ Pass? next question (and most important) Do any of you have experience with EZ Pass and duallie trucks? Here in MA if you drive a duallie like I do, you don't have a choice on how to register it, it has to have a commercial registration and I believe this effects EZ Pass. The Maine Turnpike is "finally" switching to EZ Pass this spring but I'm not sure I'll be able to take advantage of it due to my commercial registration. NH still refuses to use and automated system, they still use 1/2 cost tokens but tokens can't be used with duallies and trailers. How does EZ Pass work when towing? I'm going to try to contact EZ Pass about a commercial account but it may not be ecnomically feasible to do it that way. How do you folks with motorhomes set up your EZ Pass accounts? So many questions, so few answeres. Ken

1997 Blazer 202DC bass boat, (Mercury225hp ProMax)
Ken Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2005, 02:12 AM   #2

Hi All

I'm asking these EZ Pass questions here on the Nor,Easter's board because our current travel options really don't extend much past the Northeast area at this time. Do any of you use EZ Pass? next question (and most important) Do any of you have experience with EZ Pass and duallie trucks? Here in MA if you drive a duallie like I do, you don't have a choice on how to register it, it has to have a commercial registration and I believe this effects EZ Pass. The Maine Turnpike is "finally" switching to EZ Pass this spring but I'm not sure I'll be able to take advantage of it due to my commercial registration. NH still refuses to use and automated system, they still use 1/2 cost tokens but tokens can't be used with duallies and trailers. How does EZ Pass work when towing? I'm going to try to contact EZ Pass about a commercial account but it may not be ecnomically feasible to do it that way. How do you folks with motorhomes set up your EZ Pass accounts? So many questions, so few answeres. Ken

Old 02-23-2005, 06:18 AM   #3

Ken
I am waiting for responses.I have thought about the pass since last summer.I seem to remember it being exceptible pretty far on our way to Myrtle Beach.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:32 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ok, I am going to stick my neck out here Ken, and Frankie. I use my e-z pass. When I signed up for it you tell the typ of vehicle and the registration info. As fra as I have been told by there customer service, is if you go through the ezpass, and it does not read the unit and it captures you plate, it will see you are registerd and deduct your account. As far as towing, I have been doing it for a couple years. I was told that when you go through towing, and counts the axels and charges you appropriatley. I have to tell you, I would not be without it. If you need more details PM me. Oh, by the way, I just checked my statement, and they seem to charge more for the Dually then my old excursion. I do not have a commercial account.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:22 AM   #5

Hi,

I agree with Lenny. We got the EZPass for both trucks. I tow with my Suburban, the hubby has the Dakota. When I registered them, it asks questions about the vehicle.

As for towing, it counts the axles. I've got down and back to Myrtle no problem using it. Makes life easier not having to find the money at the toll booth. They deduct it directly out of my credit card monthly.

I wish I had done it a long time ago, I couldn't see not having it now.

Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #6
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,
We have had EZ-Pass for about two years now, and it's just great!We have been as far south as GA, and as far north as Vt. no problems at all so far!I can't speak for other states, but here in NJ we had to have a commercial account!
Old 02-23-2005, 02:02 PM   #7

I just ordered mine.All last year I kept saying I would get one.Forgot all about it till now.I dont go through many tolls in winter,but summer we do.Thanks for the reminder

Old 02-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ken if you go to the FAST LANE web page (www.masspike.com) FAQ's will give you a lot of anwers. I use FAST LANE with my class A and I tow a car. To do this I had to get 3 transponders, (remember this Massachusetts) 1 for the motor home, 1 for the motor home with the car, and one for the car and any other car I added to the list. Like Lenny said I would not be without it. There is a charge for each transponeder and I have my accounts attached to a credit card.
Looking forward to meeting you at Normandy Farms in may.

06 33' winnebago Voyage 33V
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have an EZ Pass for the Pennsylvania Turnpike. I was able to register both my truck and wife's car under one transponder. I have not had any problems whether I'm running solo or pulling the TT. The tolls on the PA Turnpike are based on weight, not axles. I get charged as a class 2 (7,001-15,000 lbs) when the TT is attached and class 1 (passenger vehicle) when it's not.

The EZ Pass also billed me correctly when I crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in Maryland.

Joe-K had a funny experience with his EZ Pass and if he sees this posting, Maybe he'll be kind enough to tell everyone about it.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:04 AM   #10

Ken , one other thing ,while registering I noticed that NH was going to be on the system soon and ME will be up before spring.I did not realize they needed my trailer plate number,I guess thats why Karen says I should start reading directions and rules.When my unit comes in I will take care of it

Old 02-24-2005, 02:15 AM   #11

Hi All

Here's what I found out yesterday from the folks at MA "FastPass".

(1) I will have to get a "commercial" account for my truck because it is a "dualie" and is registered commercially here in MA.

(2) There was some questions which the service rep. couldn't answere right away but after several phone calls most were answered. I will need a "203" (dualie over 7000gvw, 2 axles)programed transpounder for my truck.

(3) When I have my trailer in tow I will be charged at the "207" (dualie over 7000gvw, 3 axles)transpounder rate.

(4)When I upgrade to a new boat with dual axles I'll be charged accordingly.

(5) MA sales rep couldn't/wouldn't say if ME would except the 203 transpounder rate and may have REQUIRED me to have a second 207 rate transpounder with me while towing. I called ME sales rep and was told that the ME EZ PASS system would automatically bump my rate when I had my trailer in tow.

(6) The wife's car/transpounder can be added to my commercial account but it would work as an independant system that would just draw on my account.

(7) MA charges $27.50 per transpounder, ME charges $25 for interior and $30 for exterior transpounders, NJ "leases" their transpounders for $1.00 a month. To the best of my knowledge you can get your system in any state.

(8) MA REQUIRES a minimum of $50 in a commercial account that automatally refils at $20.

(9)MA transpounders are vehicle specific meaning they can ONLY be in a car listed on your account. $50 fine using them in unlisted car.

(10) ME is up and running with EZ PASS "NOW" and NH should be on the system some time this summer.

I haven't ordered my equipment yet but I pretty sure I will know that I sort of know how it works. Hope this helps. Ken

Old 02-25-2005, 11:01 AM   #12

I got my transponder today.Boy that was quick.
When we start towing I am going to send them my trailer plate # and we will be all set. I like the set up and hope we use it often this year

Old 03-14-2005, 03:36 AM   #13
DJ

What I found with my account in MA is that in state I get charged the correct toll when towing or not. Somehow it knows. Anywhere out of state when I was towing it would only charge me the passenger car rate. This has been proven in NY,NJ,PA and Maryland several times. Also I learned that no matter what someone on the phone gives you for an answer, call back and talk to someone else and they will tell you something totally different. That was pretty consistant in any state. Of course this was back in the beginning of the MA system, hopefully things have changed by now.
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:58 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When my unit comes in I will take care of it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey, I caught this..is there a new trailer coming your way?