Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northeast Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #1

New RVers in MA - Need some place to go!

We're new to RVing - just bought this huge 45' Newmar last winter, drove it to FL and back - and now we need some place to go in the Northeast. We were in ME for Memorial day, so we'd like to check out upstate NY, VT or NH on our next outing. When it comes to choosing a campground, I prefer a quiet one (away from highway noise) on or near water with plenty of shade. The last place we camped in ME looked good on the website and got good reviews at campgroundreviews.com, but when we got there and set up camp, I sat outside (beside a smelly marsh) and noticed that I could hear and see traffic passing on a local highway. So much for getting away from it all.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for campgrounds in the Northeast that can accomodate a big rig and are quiet and scenic. Thanks!

2009 Essex 4508
TheJazzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #2

Check out Franstead Family Campground in Franconia NH, we loved it there.
Enjoy your new rig.
Tom in Salem, MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Another really nice quiet campground is Meredith Woods in Meredith, NH. The sites are large and there is quite a bit of vegetation between sites. There is very little to do there but, you are allowed full privelages (including beach rites) at the campground across the street.

Also quiet is Newfound RV Park in Bristol, NH. Ask for a brookside site, they are much nicer than the others and have shade.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #4

Check out Lake George RV Resort on Route 149 near Lake George New York; Nice place!
http://www.lakegeorgervpark.com/
Old 06-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
There are lots of nice campgrounds. What kinds of activities and amenities are you looking for?
Old 06-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnvt View Post
There are lots of nice campgrounds. What kinds of activities and amenities are you looking for?
I guess that's part of our quandry. We're not sure what our choices are in "things to do". My first choice is always water - canoeing, kayaking, fishing are always on the top of my list. Quiet (no highway noise) and shade are my other two priorities. Since we don't have kids, a campground that focuses on kids activities would not be good. In my search for campgrounds in New England that we might like, I find that 95% are geared toward kids and family activities. Not that I think this is bad - quite the contrary. It's just not what I look for in a campground.

We have reservations for the 4th of July weekend at Moose River Campground in Vermont. Anyone been there?

2009 Essex 4508
Old 06-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Randy, that information is very helpful. We have never been to Moose River but the Northest Kingdom is beautiful. If you don't feel the necessity to have full hookups, many of the Vermont State Parks are on bodies of water and lovely. I would also suggest Camping on the Battenkill located in Arlington, VT on the Battenkill River.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnvt View Post
I would also suggest Camping on the Battenkill located in Arlington, VT on the Battenkill River.
I agree with Lynn. We camp down the road at a small campground in the center of Arlington, but it's not for large RV's, where Camping on the Battenkill is. The area is just beautiful, and so much to do. They have canoe's and tubes and will pick you up at a bridge, if you want to go down the river. We have tubed it many times.
It would actually be a nice place for a rally in the future. Only thing missing is a Walmart LOL!
Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #9

Thanks for the Camping on the Battenkill recommendation. I considered that campground for the 4th weekend, but their website didn't provide me with enough information (I like to see photos) to choose it. I'll add it to my list.

Lynn - I had never heard about the Northeast Kingdom. After Googling it and seeing the beautiful photos of the region, I can't believe that in my 12 years in NE, that no one ever mentioned the Northeast Kingdom. We've been as far north in VT as Sugarbush, but that's it.

Geez.... I gotta get out more.

2009 Essex 4508
Old 07-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Randy you have company. I've lived in Mass. for 55 years and I never heard of the Northern Kingdom either. The kids are all grown up so like you we don't need the kid activities anymore.. If you find any good campgrounds please yet us known. ( I will do the same ) We like good company when we're camping.

Dan and Donna
Old 07-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #11

Dan - If I find a decent place to camp in New England I'll be sure to post it here. So far, I'm striking out. We camped in a small park in Scarborough,ME over Memorial Day and it was clean, but set up for small popups and overlooked a marsh and a highway. Over the 4th weekend, we made the long trek to St Johnsbury,VT and were disappointed again. This campground was easy to get in and out of with our 45 footer, but it was right beside the highway and not very friendly. The owner was very friendly, but everyone else was standoffish. Most likely because we were there in this flashy bus and most of the campers there were pulling very small trailers. If they thought we were snooty rich folks because of the size of our MH, they couldn't be more wrong. In FL and the Carolinas, all we saw was big class A MH's like ours - many the million dollar Prevosts - but here in New England, it seems that we're in the minority.

2009 Essex 4508
Old 07-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
KIX

Our first trip to the Northeast included a visit to Niagara Falls. WE didn't watt to camp close to the falls because we felt there would be too many people. We found a NY SP about 30 miles East of Niagara Falls named Golden Hill. The motorhome sites are directly on Lake Ontario and have electric and water. The park has a dump station. It was very pleasant for a week. Decent size site........VERY quiet. If there was a problem its that everything is several miles away.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Randy,
If you are into lakes, visit the Adirondacks. We stayed in Tupper Lake, NY at the Little Wolf Park in a 40' MH. The land is grass and sand so I used wood blocks under the leveler. The lake is 50' from the MH. Plus there are lots of other lakes up there. This is a public campground and beach so the weekends in the summer will be packed. Reservations a must, and at $20 a night for full hook-up (30amp - I used an adapter) it was worth it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:34 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We NorEasters as individuals and in groups have often enjoyed Association Island RV Resort & Marina .

Both the campground and surrounding Lake Ontario, Thousand Island and Seaway area seem to be what you’re looking for.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote