Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northeast Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #1

NYS Pickup Truck registration? Over 6000lbs Commercial?

After years of tenting, we just purchased our first TT to be picked up in April '18. (29' KZ Connect 24BHK 6800 lb gvwr.)

Now we are looking to get a 3/4 ton pickup to tow it.

NYS DMV states pickup trucks over 6000 lbs must be registered as a Commercial vehicle unless you have a bed cap, seats and/or a stove in the back - which I dont really wish to do.

Besides not being able to drive on parkways in NYS -

1. What are the pro's and con's of registering a truck either with passenger or commercial plates in New York?

2. Are the NYS DMV commercial registration fees vastly higher then passenger registration fees?

3. What about insurance? It it usually higher/lower or the same to insure a commercial vehicle?

Thank you
Brianosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #2

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/comm...plemental-fees
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:44 AM   #3

I have never had to register a pick up here in NYS as commercial. My last F-150 had a cover over the bed and there was no question that I was allowed to register it as a passenger vehicle. Check with the dealer from whom you are buying the truck and see what they say. My guess is that if you aren't registering the truck in a business name you won't have any issues.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #4

I have always registered my trucks commercial. You have to be legal to carry the load. Non commercial you can’t carry a load.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:13 PM   #5

A quick look shows less money for a commercial than a private auto. You really want to do some checking before you complain. I've never heard of anyone with a P/U getting a ticket upstate for commercial plates on a P/U and driving on a parkway. I'm relatively sure somebody gave the LEO a hard time and got one but it is not common.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
NYS only requires commercial plates for pick ups if it is being used for or owned by a business for business use. Any NYS Trooper can verify this. Go ahead ask one, they are pretty decent eggs.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #7

I have had a couple of trucks and have never had comerial plates. I live in up state NY.
screamingbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianosaur View Post
After years of tenting, we just purchased our first TT to be picked up in April '18. (29' KZ Connect 24BHK 6800 lb gvwr.)

Now we are looking to get a 3/4 ton pickup to tow it.

NYS DMV states pickup trucks over 6000 lbs must be registered as a Commercial vehicle unless you have a bed cap, seats and/or a stove in the back - which I dont really wish to do.

Besides not being able to drive on parkways in NYS -

1. What are the pro's and con's of registering a truck either with passenger or commercial plates in New York?

2. Are the NYS DMV commercial registration fees vastly higher then passenger registration fees?

3. What about insurance? It it usually higher/lower or the same to insure a commercial vehicle?

Thank you
I just upgraded from a Silverado 1500 to a 2500HD. I HAD to register commercial. The law states that if the vehicle is greater than 6000 lbs., you must register commercial unless certain conditions are met.
See:
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/regi...-class-vehicle
Dar_n_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:12 AM   #9

I too live in NY and I find this law to be insane. I called DMV and they told me that I can put passenger plates on my 2500 if I put a cap on it and I install seats OR seat brackets OR permanently mounted camping equipment. So I asked what do they mean by seat brackets? They couldn't answer, so I assume any "bracket" will do as long as its bolted to the truck bed. I think that we should fight this stupid law. So everyone should send NY State Executive Deputy Commissioner a letter or email. Her address is as follows:

Theresa L. Egan, Executive Deputy Commissioner
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
BeerBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #10

Commercial plates on F250

We are on our second F250 truck. Both trucks were plated with commercial plates. This is due to the weight.Never had a problem driving anywhere. Drove on a parkway once a week for 21yrs. Never stopped by the police. Our truck did always have a cap and 4x4. Our insurance cost a little more. The insurance agent said this was due to the weight of the truck and the amt. of damage we would due to another vehicle. Recently got our ins. bill and it had gone up $90.00. I questioned this as we had no claims and the truck is a year older. Mysteriously our bill went down$ 90.00 for good driving. It pays to question!!
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote