Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northeast Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:20 AM   #15

How far from the interstate do you live Doris. We need to figure out how far it is to your house so we can figure if we want to travel that far in one evening. We won't be leaving home until at least 4:30 pm. So if you wouldn't mind e-mailing your address, I can let you know if we are going to use your driveway. Thanks again.
TTT1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2006, 05:11 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lynn.. Camping world in Amsterdam right of the thruway allowes overnights.... But no hookups..
Old 07-18-2006, 06:54 AM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Sorry, didn't mean to make it complicated..just trying to give alternatives, since our driveway won't fit two rigs, and we do have nimo wires)

There is a little campground (don't stay at Frosty Acres if you come across that) right around exit 26 listed in Scotia NY and we've had out of town company stay there. I've not ever been there.

Arrowhead Marina and RV Park
Box 300 VanBuren Lane, Scotia, NY 12302
(518)382-8966

Not sure which way you are coming Lynn, but we've stayed here years ago, on Rt 29 (I'm not sure what cut off you mean..most of us locals stay off of 29 with our RV's, because of the curves and accidents):
McConchie's Heritage Acres
2501 Northline Road, Galway, NY 12074
(518)882-6605
Large grassy sites, pool, large pond for fishing, store, ice, wood, propane, free hot showers,planned activities, 20 minutes from Saratoga. 200 sites, 180 with water and electric.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lynnvt:
Hi Doris,
This sounds way too complicated. We will just find a campground along the way. We don't tend to do the Wal-Mart thing. We will just find a campground not far off the highway. Do you know of any? I'm thinking somewhere between Saratoga and Fulton. Last weekend we took that Rte 29 cutoff which workded quite well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-18-2006, 08:26 AM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Doris, you clearly don't live in Vermont. I thought Rte. 29 was pretty straight... What other cutoff do you use? Through Amsterdam? On the way out we used the Amsterdam cutoff but it was pretty tricky in town getting back onto 90. On the way back we got off at the Fultonville/Johnston exit, took 30A to 29 to Saratoga. That seemed like a pretty good road. Is there a better cutoff? Thanks for the campground suggestions. And thanks for the warning about Frosty Acres, because it looked convenient. How about Royal Mountain Campsites? That one seems to be located in a good spot.
Thanks George but we like to overnight at campgrounds. More relaxing for us.
Tom, do you want to meet somewhere and we can caravan? You do have a new truck right? No more flying oil??
Old 07-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #19

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Royal Mountain Campsites </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Johnstown is so close to our house, we've never stayed there.
There have been a fair share of death accidents on Rt 29, so we avoid it. Seems many others don't live in VT and don't know how to go around curves or follow the speed limit, and they get going too fast.

We just take the Northway from Lake George, and grab the thruway..no shortcuts with the trailer, and we miss small towns. I know to get from Lake George to Amsterdam with the car, we'll go past Lake Luzerne (Rt 9N from Lake George, I think), but we always miss the turn and it turns into an adventure (need a gps LOL). Gil prefers exit 15, Rt 50 south, to Rt 67 west, to Rt 30 and onto the thruway. Gil says he thinks it's less little towns. But if you are comfortable with Rt 29, that'll work, and I think that is the same exit. I think if you wanted to meet up with Tom, anything past Amsterdam or Fulton would work, if you are cutting over.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Lynnvt: I agree with you! We always use 29 (it starts about 4 or 5 miles from my house at Salem) and it's lots shorter for me than taking I87 to Albany and then heading west on I90. I don't find it that steep or curvy, and you know how big my rig is. Oh well, everyone should travel within their comfort zone, after all this is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable-not white knuckle!!!

Marty
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Aisin 4:10 Air ride
2015 40RE Augusta Luxe
martins192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:40 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by martins192:
I don't find it that steep or curvy, and you know how big my rig is. Oh well, everyone should travel within their comfort zone, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Must be because we are city folks LOL.
I guess it's all the reading of the accidents, and deaths on the road (west from Saratoga, not east..I don't know anything about that part)..although we don't find it steep, just curvy. The locals are trying to get the speed limit lowered in the area I'm talking about to slow people down some. My niece lives right off it, in Saratoga, and she travels it all the time. We do by car, but as I mentioned, it's not a favorite.

Yep Marty, you sure have us beat on the size of the camper LOL! That's way out of our comfort level for pulling! By the way, did you guys want to be on the boat trip at AI? We were right up your way in Arlinton a couple weeks ago..we should get together at a campground up that way one of these days.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:04 AM   #22

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Marty, I think you were the one that told us about that cutoff. We tried it once and didn't do very well when we got to Saratoga. But this last time I didn't have any trouble getting back to 87. I sent you a message about River's Bend.
I think I will check out that Royal Mountain Campsites. It seems like an ideal stopping point.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:18 AM   #23

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lynnvt:
But this last time I didn't have any trouble getting back to 87. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It definately sounds like the way for you guys then. It does save some time, and you are used to that type of roads.