Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northeast Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #1

Question Virginia to Maine in the summer 2015

Hello everyone!
I am planning on making a loop from western Virginia up to Maine and back for 6 to 8 weeks next summer. I'm looking for recommendations of things to do, places to stay, and other itinerary hints. I usually prefer to stay in state parks and the like, but I did get a Thousand Trails membership for this adventure. I'll have my kayak so I am always looking to stay near bodies of water. I will have my two cats with me so I will need to have electric hookups to run the air conditioning (does it get hot enough in that part of the world to need air-conditioning?). I will also be working from the road so I can't get out in the boonies too far. (How's the Verizon coverage?) I have a 24 foot motorhome and will have a toad. Any advice or suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #2

Not in ME but about 30 minutes from southern ME attractions is Salisbury Beach State Reservation campground has kayaking (Black Rock Creek), direct access to 2 beaches, W/E, campstore and very very reasonably priced compared to other beach type campgrounds in the north east. If the campground looks like a possibility for you I would book no later than February, place books out for the peak summer months.

Mike
mdcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcamping View Post
Not in ME but about 30 minutes from southern ME attractions is Salisbury Beach State Reservation campground has kayaking (Black Rock Creek), direct access to 2 beaches, W/E, campstore and very very reasonably priced compared to other beach type campgrounds in the north east. If the campground looks like a possibility for you I would book no later than February, place books out for the peak summer months.

Mike
edit: I forgot about the rate increase earlier this year, still though daily rates should still better than the private beach type campgrounds

Mike
Old 10-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #4

Any route you take is going to need reservations. New England, New York , PA are not know for lots of short stay campgrounds.Many are seasonal Also they are older and smaller. I will tell that a route thru middle to western PA and NY may not yield consistent Verizon data. Lots of hilly line of sight issues when away from interstate, major highway areas.

I'd head up thru the Appalachians in PA, don't miss the finger lakes in New York. Spend a day in Corning and do the glass museum. Vermont is a 6 week adv nature all on its own!!!
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Yes it can get hot. I have been in Maine when the temperature was 99 degrees.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLass View Post
Hello everyone!
I am planning on making a loop from western Virginia up to Maine and back for 6 to 8 weeks next summer. I'm looking for recommendations of things to do, places to stay, and other itinerary hints. I usually prefer to stay in state parks and the like, but I did get a Thousand Trails membership for this adventure. I'll have my kayak so I am always looking to stay near bodies of water. I will have my two cats with me so I will need to have electric hookups to run the air conditioning (does it get hot enough in that part of the world to need air-conditioning?). I will also be working from the road so I can't get out in the boonies too far. (How's the Verizon coverage?) I have a 24 foot motorhome and will have a toad. Any advice or suggestions?
Believe it or not, Maine is part of the United States now. We even have electricity and indoor plumbing now. This "Part of the world" does get warm and humid during the summer months. "MAINE" is a rather broad term to discribe your destination. The attractions, climate, traffic, campground facilities all differ considerably from the southern touristy areas to the northern inland regions. My guess is you will head to Bar Harbor and think you will have seen all of Maine. Too bad you don't experience the real Maine. To do so you will need to "get out in the boonies".

Please enjoy your stay in our wonderful state. Do yourself a favor and spend some time on many of the state sponsored web sites. I doubt that most of your question will not be answered there. Enjoy!

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:10 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Hello everyone,

I'm also planning a trip through Maine this summer. We were looking to stay on the coast of southern Maine with beach access if possible. My trip consist of Niagara Falls, Vermont, and them Maine before heading back to Va. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated it. Happy New Year!
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm also planning a trip through Maine this summer. We were looking to stay on the coast of southern Maine with beach access if possible. My trip consist of Niagara Falls, Vermont, and them Maine before heading back to Va. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated it. Happy New Year!
Check into the Old Orchard Beach area in ME, Old Orchard Beach Campgrounds & Scarborough Beach Campgrounds

lots to do to keep the family occupied , Beach, amusement parks, water parks, board walks, great seafood.

Bayley's camping resort has the most bell & whistles, has a trolley to take you to the beach. Paradise Park camping resort is some what quieter and closer to the beach. Hid'n Pines family campground is good too
campgrounds are well run and get good reviews. we have been to all and enjoyed our selfs for what they offer.

Check out my 10-24-15 post on this thread too

Mike
Old 01-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
How do I find the post you mentioned?

Quote:
Check into the Old Orchard Beach area in ME, Old Orchard Beach Campgrounds & Scarborough Beach Campgrounds

lots to do to keep the family occupied , Beach, amusement parks, water parks, board walks, great seafood.

Bayley's camping resort has the most bell & whistles, has a trolley to take you to the beach. Paradise Park camping resort is some what quieter and closer to the beach. Hid'n Pines family campground is good too
campgrounds are well run and get good reviews. we have been to all and enjoyed our selfs for what they offer.

Mike
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Mike

X 2 on Baileys and Old Orchard Beach. We lucked into it this Sept. Wish we could have stayed longer.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
How do I find the post you mentioned?
Post #2 on this thread