Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northeast Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Had what they think was a tornado come through. Heard a hugh crashing sound, the house (and my teeth) shook. Yelled for Gil, he was alright..looked out at the trailer..and gosh darn it...all I could see was green. Went out, and yippy..it just skimmed the trailer, the limbs and leaves on the roof did no damage that Gil could see..and other than whtever is under the big limb leaning into the door (we can't remove it..it's wedged against the house..want professionals to do it)..it looks pretty good.
Not so for my house. The roofer and tree people will be here in the morning. 30 foot limb, plus the part that broke off and landing against the trailer, about a foot and a half thick. I had a tree person come out several years ago, and he assured us after the last trailer mess, that the trees left were nice and strong. Well, he was wrong.
Trees down all over..neighbors have two down..one on top of the house, and one on their deck. Chain saws going off everywhere.
Oh..and we leave for our 40th anniversary cruise on Saturday..here's hoping nothing will be leaking (who needs this stress right now)..roofer isn't sure what he has time for..where's Frankie when you need a construction person?.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Had what they think was a tornado come through. Heard a hugh crashing sound, the house (and my teeth) shook. Yelled for Gil, he was alright..looked out at the trailer..and gosh darn it...all I could see was green. Went out, and yippy..it just skimmed the trailer, the limbs and leaves on the roof did no damage that Gil could see..and other than whtever is under the big limb leaning into the door (we can't remove it..it's wedged against the house..want professionals to do it)..it looks pretty good.
Not so for my house. The roofer and tree people will be here in the morning. 30 foot limb, plus the part that broke off and landing against the trailer, about a foot and a half thick. I had a tree person come out several years ago, and he assured us after the last trailer mess, that the trees left were nice and strong. Well, he was wrong.
Trees down all over..neighbors have two down..one on top of the house, and one on their deck. Chain saws going off everywhere.
Oh..and we leave for our 40th anniversary cruise on Saturday..here's hoping nothing will be leaking (who needs this stress right now)..roofer isn't sure what he has time for..where's Frankie when you need a construction person?.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
WOW Doris

I'm glad everyone is safe.
Let us know how you made out.

Gee Doris How can that be I thought you were only in your 40 something years old
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Gee Doris How can that be I thought you were only in your 40 something years old </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I am..I am now officially married longer than I am old. (kiss to you Bob!)
Old 07-10-2007, 03:25 AM   #5

Doris, Thank the good Lord it was not any worse. This too shall pass. 40?????? I thought you were 39. Have a GREAT time on your cruise.
TTT1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:52 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
We are thankful. The way the smaller tree is, in the driveway, they just aren't sure how to cut it up, without doing more damage to the trailer..because it's leaning on the trailer on one side, and leaning on the house on another. They think the door may have to be replaced (that will be a winter job..and we'll get another winter storage LOL)..but they are afraid when they start taking it down, it will hit the window...no place to tie it to to hold it. I don't want to be home tomorrow when they do it.

Looks like we'll be getting a 1/4 of a new roof..and luckily, it's not the section we just replaced..it prob needed it LOL. Roofer says it's a lot worse than they thought. For sure he wants to wait for the insurance adjuster now..but they have given us permission to remove the one by the trailer, before it falls and does more damage. We are very lucky..much worse all around us.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #7

I'm packing my tools and coming to your rescue. . Wish we were closer.Glad everything is somewhat okay. Have a great cruise!!!!!!!

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:
I'm packing my tools and coming to your rescue. . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
For what the cost to fix it, is Frankie, you could make a lot of motor home payments...yikes! Thank God for insurance.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #9

Always something!...have a great trip and Happy Anniversary.

debbiejohntaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
What no photos??

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Lots of photos..maybe tomorrow. I just want the insurance company to come back with a yep..go ahead. Tree guy is nervous over tomorrows expected new storm. Says if the trailer moves one inch, that tree limb (the sharp edge)is going to go right down the side of it. The limb against the trailer is a lot thinner than the one against the house, but will be a lot trickier to get away. Insurance company had given us permission to remove the one by the trailer..until they heard the price. Now they want to see it. And I can't go in the trailer to get the stuff I need for the cruise, for fear of making it jostle. I haven't even finished unpacking it from this past weekend.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Not a scratch on the trailer..what a great job they did. The limb next to the trailer was the top of the one leaning on the roof. Gil had already cleaned off the top of the trailer by the time the photos were taken.
House isn't so good. They have to replace the wood, and 1/4 of the roof. It has a hole in it, and the wood underneath is squished. The stainless steel chimney stack to the right of the picture also has ot be replaced, ans well as the bathroom vent and the roof vents. Lets just say I got back all I've paid for insurance, and I'm glad I have it. We were a little surprised when we found another large branch on the other side of the yard, and the basketball hoop was down, so they are replacing that as well.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #13

sorry to hear about your problem but thank God you are safe! We lost power at Lake George for 13 hrs. in the same storm! Hope to see you this summer at

Sorry to hear about your problem with the tree. We lost power for 15 hrs. at Lake George from the same storm! Hope everything works out & you have time this summer to stop by.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Hi Doris

I'm glad you have Insurance.Hope evwerything goes well.
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote