Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region > Pond Piggies
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #15

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Took route 219 down into WV. Didn't want to deal with the hills near Ohiopyle.
Yeah, US-219 was a good choice coming from Laurel Hill to get to Blackwater Falls. I traveled from Laurel Hill via US-219 to I-68 to get to Cumberland, MD. You were about 20 miles from us when you exited I-68 at Keysers Ridge (Exit 14A). However, you'd have to use Exit 14B then take US-40 west to get to our house.

Your other alternative would have been PA-281. I don't think it''s too bad to Confluence, but from there, it's hilly and windy. That stretch of PA-281 is also called Mae West Rd, so that in itself should tell you something right there.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
They (Keystone) had me take pictures (15 of them) of the issue. It was very clear what the issue was. A 10 year old could see it. I have sold 20,000 items on Ebay, have done 1000+ transactions on Craigslist...I know how to take a picture...

They said the pictures didn't show what the problem was and needed Camping World to take pictures....I have a feeling they (Keystone) is having me jump thru hoops, hoping I would go away. We'll see....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Jim, that is a known tactic. Coleman / Fleetwood and R-Vision / Trail Lite both tried it with me. The tactic did not work due to my diligence to pursue correction of the product in accordance with the respective marketing claims.

[moderator edit]
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Right now I'll give them (Keystone) the benefit of the doubt. But I hinted that "the internet is a powerful tool" if need be. I was very hesitant leaving it at Camping World / Sirpills's which doesn't have a good record with some people in the past.

I still feel I'm 100% correct in my assessment that it is a engineering / design oversight
Old 08-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #19

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Good luck, Jim. Hope it works out all in your favor.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Hey Jim,
If you need any pointers in mounting your campaign, just ask!

George

The Miklas Family. George Miklas is the last living member of Jerry Murad's Harmonicats, and was inducted into the National Traditional Country Music Association Hall of Fame on August 27, 2014. Daughter Janalyn was named "2014 Rising Legend" and also inducted by the NTCMA on 8/27/2014
Old 08-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
CW said I should hear something from them mid to later this week. Otherwise I'll call Friday. If they were all built this way for this floorplan, their all going to be affected to some point. I do know of two IRV2 members who have contacted me over the last two years about slide issues. One I believe their unit was bought back after 9 months. Their unit was taken back to the factory and the slide removed, issues fixed, but they didn't hook up the water hoses right in the slide and the whole RV flooded....the first time they camped with city water. He said water was coming out of all the openings of the trailer.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Is there any activity here?

I am looking for a small-ish, ball hitch toy hauler (20' or less). Given my business, mobile musical instrument sales, I will use the toy hauler to carry inventory to the venue, and still have eat/sleep/SSS facilities. This last weekend we camped at the fairgrounds, immediately outside the building where we set up the store.

The Miklas Family. George Miklas is the last living member of Jerry Murad's Harmonicats, and was inducted into the National Traditional Country Music Association Hall of Fame on August 27, 2014. Daughter Janalyn was named "2014 Rising Legend" and also inducted by the NTCMA on 8/27/2014
Old 08-31-2014, 08:02 PM   #23

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Gee, George, do you think you might get better results if you put what you're looking for in the iRV2 wanted classifieds? The Pond Piggies thread wouldn't be the place someone would browse who has for sale what you're looking for.

Just a thought... Good luck in your quest.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:37 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Frank

I'm working on that now, while Jodi drives to the Flying j at Lake Station IN
Old 09-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #25

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Wow! This is the most Pond Piggies activity I've seen in a long time. I'm enjoying the chat and reconnection. We need some more "lost" piggies to check-in, though. I know you're out there.

Saturday, Chris and I visited the home base to check on progress. We finally have electricity. I spent over $100 yesterday just on light bulbs. It would have been more but I only purchased the more expensive LED bulbs for fixtures with high usage and the cheaper CFL's for lesser used places like closets, guest bedrooms, etc. I think we're going to make another trip to the home base today to install them all and test the stove & microwave, which we didn't do when we were there Saturday. looks like another late dinner for the cat.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
That's good news from Keystone they'll take care of you. I guess the crux is proving it was their problem in the slide support design. Will CW be able to determine that?
After Camping World called me yesterday, they said after they submitted everything to Keystone, their answer was "out of warranty". I was not a happy camper. Called the person who I was corresponding with at Keystone and they said their service engineer said the unit was built to code. Hog-wash??? A 10 year old could see where there was a mis-step in production / design leading to this slide issue. I told them I'm 1000% in correctly saying your people are wrong. So they went on to say "as a good will offering we (Keystone) will offer 3 hours of labor towards the 6 hours they quoted to fix". I was on the fence as to except the offer or just say. "You know what, when you want something fixed right, I'll take care of it myself". I decided to let CW handle it.

The basis of the slide issue is: The slide incorporates the couch and the kitchen. (picture) Like in all slides there are 2 slide rails that push and pull the slide in and out. The two slide rails on this RV are only 30" apart, most full length slides, the two slide rails are 6' apart. Adding to this is the two slide rails are not centered on this slide, they are a foot closer to the couch side. HUM?? So the there is clearly more weight on the kitchen side than the side of the slide with the couch Hum again??? So to compensate they added "roller wheels" (pic of roller wheel) along the bottom wall of the trailer to hold up the slide especially on the kitchen side. So imagine you put this slide on a teeter tauter, one side of the slide is 1000lbs and the other 500 lbs and then you move the slide a foot closer from the balance point towards the 500 lb. side. That slide is going to hit the ground like a earthquake.

So this roller wheel under the heavier kitchen side was not supported / fastened to any structure. There was one tiny wood screw into Styrofoam wall structure, not into and substantial metal or even a 2" x 2". Both roller wheels were attached to a 1" x 4" wide board that was screwed to the inside trailer wall running the whole length under the slide. The last 3 or 4 feet under the heavier kitchen slide was sagging down 1", causing the whole slide to drop 1" on that side. The was only this one tiny screw the last 3' or 4' on that 1" x 4' board. This roller wheel on the heavier kitchen side needed to be securely fastened to structure such as a aluminum framing joist, bracket, not the one tiny wood screw that was improperly use.

When I did a temporary fix, I jacked up the slide 1". as soon as I took the weight off the roller wheel I could move the roller wheel up or to where it should have been attached with a proper method, not one tiny wood screw. If it were not for the wheel well under this area, I would have just designed and welded a home-made bracket off the trailer floor to support this roller wheel. But with the wheel well under this area, I don't know where I can pick up proper support attaching a bracket to the wall. There has to be some aluminum framing / bracing somewhere in the underside of the exterior wall. Since I didn't built this thing, I could not see anything. I'm hoping the so called experts at $119 an hour at CW can. Really...? give me a break.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Keystone and Engineer Slifka

Jim,
I hope that Keystone is reading this thread, and know that the "Court of Public Opinion" is on your side here.

George
Old 09-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
After re-contacting Keystone asking to talk to their service engineer. Maybe he doesn't understand what he is looking at because he is in IN. and the RV is in Ohio. Their answer was " Our phones only let him talk to Camp World".

So your telling me indirectly " Superslif " because he in not in the industry, has not worked in the field, amateur RVer, doesn't have a education in RVing 101 doesn't have a clue what makes a RV click. Others might walk away with their tails between their legs.

If all the 2012 & 2013 232ES Aerolite's were put together this way, all will fail. I already know of another couple where their 232ES was bought back after 6 months of ownership. And another IRV2 member contacted me this past spring on the same issue.