Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region > Pond Piggies
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Is that an old Nuke dump or something?
The only thing that might be a deterrent was the upper lake had a algae problem two years ago. The lower lake seemed pretty much cleared up. I don't know what this year will bring. I'm thinking with the mild winter we have been having so far here in Ohio, it will be better for the unfrozen lakes. John, you would know more on that subject being associated with your private clubs lake.

We were there Sept. 2010 with nice weather and it was maybe 1/4 filled. John, do you still have your dogs? There are two loops / streets and I can't remember what area was for pets. The loop we were in, had the nicer sites. pixs of Mt. Gilead
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Actually the lakes depend on a freeze to kill off the plant life that causes the algae bloom in the first place.
Warm/hot, stagnant water is usually where you see the worst blooms as @ Gilead or at my fishing club. Hence the aeration system we built to help alleviate the non-aerobic bacteria buildup which tends to happen in most small, shallow man made lakes; which I might add, is unsafe for human contact or fish harvesting.
Good example is Grand Lake St. Mary in Southwest Ohio. Very dangerous place to be around in the later summer months. Hopefully they correct that mess.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
Never a crowd, NEVER....Actually it looks like VERY few go there.
Is that an old Nuke dump or something?
We were there last in May 2010. It's a pretty campground but the facilities were really bad. We had a popup at the time and my wife and daughters would only use the bathrooms when they simply had no choice. We were going to stay the weekend but left after one night. I am pretty easy going when it comes to camping facilities, but these were really bad.

Like I said, though, that was two years ago. Might be better now. And since we now own a motorhome, we may try again as it is only 30 min. south of us.
TheRVManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #18

My first post here I saw some talk about Roundup Lake earlier on this thread and figured i would throw my .02 in. Roundup Lake is indeed the old Jellystone. While the park is not perfect it is very nice. The sites are decently sized and flat.

Let me get the negatives out of the way. The roads inside the park could use some work. The main roads are fine but once you get off the beaten path they get pretty rough. "N" section can be very noisy due to its proximity to Rt-82 plus it is a very unattractive section of the park. The camp store is under stocked so be sure to bring with you whatever you need.

The park is geared to families with kids so expect kids running around and some noise. Lots of activities for the kiddos such as arts and crafts, Character meet n greets and evening outside movies. Last year the pool was kept very nice. I think the only time I saw it cloudy was over memorial weekend. If your into fishing the bass fishing is very good. Lots of 4 to 5 pounders to be caught (catch and release)
Not sure what else I can tell you. We enjoyed camping here so much with our kids a few years ago we became seasonals.
garysol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRVManiac View Post
We were there last in May 2010. It's a pretty campground but the facilities were really bad. We had a popup at the time and my wife and daughters would only use the bathrooms when they simply had no choice. We were going to stay the weekend but left after one night. I am pretty easy going when it comes to camping facilities, but these were really bad.

Like I said, though, that was two years ago. Might be better now. And since we now own a motorhome, we may try again as it is only 30 min. south of us.
Yeh, I've read about their crummy facilities; which I think, is why NO ONE goes there....I've been thinking about it for a while now....I'll just bring my tote to empty tanks if they fill.
I know they have no showers or flush toilets.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, without showers and crappy pit toilets that would put many people off, especially if you were a tent user or had a PUP. That is why we have RV's....I liked the loop on the right which had about half its sites amongst the pines. The power was good, if I remember you filled up your fresh water tanks just behind the office. And if you want to try your hand at disc golf, they got a whopper of a course. Very quite park....Pictures from Sept 2010.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are looking for a really nice, clean and up to date Park in Ohio, may I suggest Maumee Bay State Park in Oregon, Ohio on Lake Erie. I had a chance to stay there last August and it was a first rate State Park. Only downside is no water hookup or sewage hookup. They do have dump station and a facility to fill fresh water tanks. On the plus side, all of the sites are big and it is tough to see your neighbors through the foliage. The have several culdesac camping rings also.