Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region > Pond Piggies
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:00 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Looks like we may be able to make July 13-18. We'll be in upstate NY and can stop on our way back. Can't make Cooks Forest as my wife wants to be at the Clarion County Fair on the 18th for 10 days.

The website shows adjacent sites 33 and 37 available. Which is better?? A plus would be a shot at the TV satellite.

-Tom & Sandy

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2008, 06:26 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hum...George and myself have never been there before either. But from gathering a few pictures off the web this picture http://www.superstork.com/rt4/images/12%20Dick%20Ole%20...064%20Ole%20Bull.jpg I think was taken of the fire ring and picnic table in site 37. I think that because I count it being the 4th picnic table from the bridge as I see it in the picture. Now if this is site 37 the SE direction would be aiming across the creek towards the bridge. Now if you have a portable satellite stand you do have a chance at a SE direction. But if you only have a coach roof mounted one only, I think trees would be an issue. And being so remote, satellite would be the only option.....Ole Bull is known for it's remote location.....Tom were you ever at Bark Camp State Park in SE Ohio in 04' Were you in that group section with the Winnebago club? This would have been Oct of 04'....I think...?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I now see site 33 is not suitable for slides but 37 is. I'll post when I make the reservation.

The satellite is not important but I have one on the roof plus a portable one and I also see the SW is towards the bridge.

I've never camped at Bark Camp SP in OH. I have fished Kettle Creek in the 80's but stayed at Kettle Creek SP in a tent with 3 of my buddies.

George, are you bring your harmonics? I hope so.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #18

Pond Piggies Club
Thanks for the additional photo links, guys. The more I see, the more I like !!

This trip will be the farthest we've ever attempted. I'm figuring 140 miles one way. We've never been over 90 miles from home before, that was at West Branch.

Were all of you lucky enough to get reservations before PA DCNR raised the rates? Fortunately, I was able to get 10 nights reserved at the old rates. Saved myself 70 bucks !!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, George told me about the fee increase in Dec. So I was able to reserve Ole Bull 5 nights and Cook Forest 9 nights under the old non-resident price. Cook Forest for us from the SE side of Cleveland OH. is 155 miles. But Ole Bull is going to be a little rough. Looks like a lot of secondary roads up from I-80. No direct route there. That just means fewer people...peace and quite.....cleaner rivers....many fish.....We did about 2 -1/2 weeks last Aug. to Vermont. It was well worth it. Already planning camp sites for next trip up there in about 2-3 years.....
It's been a long time since I made a reservation to a state park without first visiting it to mark down sites I like. I like shady sites even though we have electric to run our air conditioner. First I printed out the Ole Bull site map. Next I did a Google Earth scan to see which sites offered shade. Next I did a Google search "Ole Bull Pictures" Next I called the park office to find out if the sites along the river were level for a trailer. The lady said sites 33-42 were newly re-done and were very nice. There also was a new shower house built at the beach a few sites away. George wanted to make sure there was water available near site #34. George will have to tell ya about Cook Forest last year and how many hoses he put together to get water.......
Old 03-30-2008, 09:35 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Dave AKA: "THEMANFROMVAN" I visited your website. We were in site #3 at Clear Creek last July. And we have a son named Robert too. West Branch is our closest State Park to Cleveland....In the summer you have to have a reservation for the weekends. In the shoulder seasons it can fill up if the weather is real nice......I see that you are in site 3116 at Cook Forest. What dates were you going to be there? George posted on the Cook Forest thread http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9551055352/m/88810214341/p/5 which sites & dates everyone was on. He didn't have a date for you.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #21

Pond Piggies Club
We will be at Cook Forest for three nights starting Thursday, June 26th.

Saturday, June 28th is my mother's side of the family's annual Summertime Christmas. Since 2006 we've had this event at Clear Creek. It's convenient for my aunts, uncles and cousins because they all live in Leeper, Tylersburg, Fryburg and Lucinda. It's us who have the longest distance (48 miles).

So we'll go to Cook Forest on Thursday after work. I work 4 ten hour days and don't get off work until 6:30 PM. We'll have Friday to ourselves, the reunion Saturday and milk the checkout time on Sunday right up to 3 PM.

Here's a link to a private album within my website that has pictures from last year's reunion - Summer Christmas I love this album. That was one enjoyable weekend !!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a twice annual camper at Ole Bull, I can tell you that this campground is the crown jewel among PA State campgrounds.

The campground has 2 sections, each on opposite sides of Kettle Creek which runs basically north to south. Sites nearer the stream will have good satellite TV.

The new showers and beach facilities are amenities missed by most parks.

TV may be a need for some, but if you are a trout fisherman, plan to get into some great fishing. Kettle Creek is a premier stream, easily waded and generally full of fish. Let me know if you catch the Kettle Slam which is one each of a brown, rainbow and brook trout!!

We would join you, but our RV trips are already scheduled. Enjoy it....we do !!
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #23

Pond Piggies Club
Flytyer - thanks for jumping in on this thread. I have never camped anywhere 'sight/site unseen' before. I have no doubt that we're gonna love Ole Bull because everyone we ever talk to at every campground asks us if we've ever been there and speaks very highly of the place.

However - I selected Site #17 which is on the inside of the loop closest to the road. Can you tell me just how close this loop is to the road? I mean, it's not like Sizerville where an out-of-control car could potentially come crashing into the campground, is it?

We live about 30 feet from US Route 322, so I'm used to road noise. But, I love my solitude when I camp. I road noise going to be a factor?
Old 03-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by themanfromvan:
Flytyer - thanks for jumping in on this thread. I have never camped anywhere 'sight/site unseen' before. I have no doubt that we're gonna love Ole Bull because everyone we ever talk to at every campground asks us if we've ever been there and speaks very highly of the place.

However - I selected Site #17 which is on the inside of the loop closest to the road. Can you tell me just how close this loop is to the road? I mean, it's not like Sizerville where an out-of-control car could potentially come crashing into the campground, is it?

We live about 30 feet from US Route 322, so I'm used to road noise. But, I love my solitude when I camp. I road noise going to be a factor?
We like site #15 which we usually are able to reserve. While site 17 appears close to the road, there is very little road noise...very few cars in Potter county.

Your biggest concern will be with the bears, turkeys and raccoons !!!

You will love it !!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally posted by themanfromvan:
We will be at Cook Forest for three nights starting Thursday, June 26th.
Boy was I confused....I thought you were joining us on our 4th Annual Cook Forest Campout. Sorry about that Dave.
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:56 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
FlyTyer...we are in sites 34 and 35 which are the 2nd and 3rd creekside sites after you cross the creek. How are those sites as far as shade? and size? Does this picture Ole Bull web picture seem to represent what it looks like last season. The office person I called back in Oct/Nov said they were re-done / improved just a short while back. I found that picture on the web, but I don't know how old it is. Here is a picture Picture #2 looking from the other way towards the dam and beach. I think our sites are on the left in this picture, which looks to be very shady.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:31 AM   #27

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by Superslif:
FlyTyer...we are in sites 34 and 35 which are the 2nd and 3rd creekside sites after you cross the creek. How are those sites as far as shade? and size? Does this picture Ole Bull web picture seem to represent what it looks like last season. The office person I called back in Oct/Nov said they were re-done / improved just a short while back. I found that picture on the web, but I don't know how old it is. Here is a picture Picture #2 looking from the other way towards the dam and beach. I think our sites are on the left in this picture, which looks to be very shady.
The photos look a little old. Judging by the water level I would say they are 2 years old. Last fall the water was very low.

Yes they reworked a few sites to add more electric sites and remove a few trees to accommodate units with slide-outs.

I would say your sites are fairly shaded. The park is in a deep narrow valley which limits the amount of early morning and evening sunshine.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:24 PM   #28

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Boy was I confused....I thought you were joining us on our 4th Annual Cook Forest Campout. Sorry about that Dave.
Oh.... I'm sorry if I led you to believe that. No, my only reason for jumping in here was to try and get some information about Ole Bull. I may try and head up to CF and pay you a visit though.

BTW - HERE is a link that may be of interest to you. You did state that you've camped at Clear Creek before. I'm going to try to get in a weekend there. But, I think it's a bunch of BS that they canceled the reservations we made last year at the old, lower rates and now tell us we can reserve again. I am going to call to make my reservation and I intend to mention that, just to see what kind of response I get.