Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region > Pond Piggies
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:57 AM   #57

No- the dumpsters are at the front entrance. You do have to watch out for rattlers in the summer.
gotago1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #58

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
What camp sites were you in? Looks real nice there.....Can't wait till July......
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #59

I love the gum boots as much as they do, no shoe tying, kick them off at the door. We were in spot 41, two spots down from the sparkling clean public restroom and showers. 43 is right next to the showers...40 isn't a site, then 41, 39 and so forth. I don't know about the rest of the park but across the bridge by the dam thats the way they were numbered, odd numbers only.
gotago1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #60

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanx for all the pictures. You should post some in the IRV2 photo section. Did you get a chance to try any of the hiking trails? George are you getting your families hiking / treking poles polished up.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #62

Pond Piggies Club
Well, guys - due to circumstances beyond my control (gas prices, mainly), I have been forced to cancel my reservation at Ole Bull. I am bummed. I want to see and stay at this place sooooo badly.

The other deciding factor was the fact that I blew a brake line on my Blazer on the way home from Clear Creek on the 18th. Yeah, it's fixed. But, my camper has no brakes and the whole stopping issue has really been a sticking point for ever since I've owned the unit.

What happened was, a car pulled out in front of me up by Farmer's Inn. If it had 'got up and went', like it should have, I'd have been okay. But, it was kind of lolligaggin' and I had to get on the binders hard because I wasn't payin' attention, mainly. I drove the rest of the way home with only front brakes.

So, I'm counting on you guys for photos and the skinny on Ole Bull. Someday I'll make it there, even if I have to sleep on the ground, in a tent.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #63

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm sorry to hear that Dave. I wanted to meet "The man from van". While camping this past weekend with George (Miklas) he mentioned his concern about the drive to Ole Bull for our July trip. I said my drive is going to be twice that of his. I'll be coming from the Cleveland Ohio area. I said we can justify it by the fact we will be camping for 2 weeks in Northern PA. (5 nights Ole Bull & 9 nights Cook Forest). Come next year when it is time to make plans and reservations and we have the same high priced fuel, I will be staying in either Western PA. or Ohio for my vacations. There are plenty great places to camp within a 150 mile radius of Cleveland.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:04 AM   #64

Pond Piggies Club
Well - a lot has transpired since I wrote the post about canceling Ole Bull. The family and myself were kicking around whether to go to Chapman State Park or Woodcock Creek Lake for the same time frame.

Chapman has been advertising their campground as closed for renovations/first come-first served/call before coming for over a year. This is because they are demolishing the pit toilets and building flush restrooms w/ showers. So - we kind of made up our minds that Chapman it would be. But - I called yesterday morning to make sure the campground status hadn't changed. I was told the campground would be locked at 3 PM, Sunday, June 3 and would remain closed until construction was done.

Then - while waiting to get my glasses fixed at the local mall, I grabbed a 'Things To Do In PA' book off of the information rack. As it turns out, the Thurston Classic Balloon Race is in Meadville, PA the weekend in question. Woodcock's campground is only about 11 miles from Meadville. This is a 'no reservation' campground, but I took Thursday, June 12 as a vacation day. So, we're hoping that if we get there early on Thursday, we'll have no trouble getting a site. We've never camped at this place before - only drive through. Since the place is north of Meadville, there's a distinct possibility we could have hot air balloons flying right overhead !!

THEN - as I was cooking supper last night, my sister calls. "Did you get your call from Clear Creek yet," she asked. Uh - no - why would Clear Creek call me? Seems they've pushed their renovation work back yet again and are offering everyone who had a reservation there through July 15, the chance to get it back. I had a spot reserved for June 25-28. My Mom's side of the family is from an area only 25 miles from Clear Creek, so we have our annual family reunion there the last weekend in June.

Rather than wait for them to call me - I beat 'em to the punch and called the Spherix call center at 7 AM this morning. They transfered my reservation from Cook Forest to Clear Creek and I get a $10 credit for going from modern to rustic camping.

Turns out things are shaping up to be alright anyway. For now, at least, I'll just have to look at pictures of Ole Bull and drool. But - I swear - someday, somehow, I'll get there.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:10 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Dave,
We'll miss ya' Are you sure that you can't come to Cook Forest when we're there from July 18th through the 27th? We'd all like to meet you.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Jim,
The hiking boots and trekking poles are already loaded in the van!!!!!!

GM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superslif:
... George are you getting your families hiking / treking poles polished up.
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:25 PM   #67

Pond Piggies Club
George - Well, that could be a distinct possibility now. The Ole Bull trip was really going to tax our camping budget. CF is only 33 miles from home. I'll investigate the date and see what's available sitewise. Thanks for the invite.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:53 AM   #68

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
So Clear Creek will be open all season this summer? That was the reason we booked Ole Bull because of Clear Creek being closed. So this might mean if Clear Creek pushes back construction till the 09' season we will have to try another PA. SP. for our 2nd week. Or we might really like Ole Bull and go there in 09'. In my opinion the 2 showerhouses Clear Creek has now are very modern and well kept for a campground that only has about 60 sites. If they want to take out those 2 pit toilet buildings, it's not that far of a walk to the 2 showerhouses. Really Cook Forest is the one that needs to have their showerhouses updated.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:28 AM   #69

Pond Piggies Club
Jim - Clear Creek is supposed to be open until, I think, July 22 now. This whole situation has me totally disgusted with the PA DCNR and I plan to let them know about it as soon as I'm sure which district office to direct my comments to.

One of our other favorite state parks, Chapman, has been advertised as closed for renovations for 1 1/2 years !! They've been allowing first come/first served camping the whole time, because they haven't done anything. Their bathrooms are pit latrines/no showers in a fairly modern looking building. I called there one week ago today to make sure nothing had changed status-wise. I was told the campground would be locked last Sunday at 3 PM and construction would begin Monday AM.

I agree that these upgrades at Clear Creek are not needed. When I first started going there in 1976 with my parents, there were no flush toilets or showers. As for the showerhouses that are already there? Technically, those are the CABIN facilities. They are not IN the campground. Therefore, they are charging us for RUSTIC camping. Now I've never seen lines out the doors to use either showerhouse in that place. I think things are fine the way they are.

I do not see how getting us a few extra bucks for MODERN camping justifies spending tens of thousands of dollars on new buildings.

All in can say is - Clear Creek had better be open, with no reductions in season or facilities, in 2009. My wife and I spent our honeymoon at Clear Creek. Next year is our 25th wedding anniversary. My plan is to go back there for that occasion. I hope - pray - that nothing puts a kibosh on that plan.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #70

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree with you 100%. I first found out about Clear Creek being closed late last fall when a co-worker here in Cleveland said "didn't you hear they will be closed for the 08' season. Another thing to think about every time they say they are going to close for the season for a construction project, it usually ends up being 2 years. Case in point: Kooser SP. (new showerhouses), Laurel Hill Beach reconstruction both of these ended up being 2 years. We like site #3 at CC. but last year they took out a bunch of trees and now it is a sunny site. We have only gone there the last 3 summers for a week. I love hiking along the small creek.