Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region > Pond Piggies
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:23 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Yesterday afternoon, we went shopping for travel trailers. We checked out 5 brands--Cikira Classic Cruiser, Zinger by Crossroads, Sunset Creek by SunnyBrook, Trail Cruiser by R-Vision, and Trail Sport by R-Vision.

The Cikira 21 CC seemed adequate, the Sunset Creek 270 BH was a nice but very high, the Zinger ZT18RB is overall a very nice unit, the Trail Sport 27FQ seemed like a very nice unit.

The last one we looked at was the Trail Cruiser 30QBSS. This one got our attention, loud and clear. It looks wonderful, and has queen bed plus bunks and super slide houseing the galley and sofa bed. The total dry weight 4289# is under the tow rating for our present tow vehicle, but won't leave much for CCC before exceeding the GCWR.

Then to top off the day, our very last stop was Ross Park Mall at 8:00 last night. We were in the Mall parking lot, pulling away from a stop sign, and the clutch cable broke in my Jetta. Fortunately, there was a parking space I could coast into. I thought about getting it towed home, or driving it. I decided to drive it 50 miles home, up shifting and down shifting with engine RPM vs. road speed. While Jodi and the kids went shopping, I sat in the car surveying how I was going to coast it and get into 1st gear without the clutch. 9:00, we started home. I used my 4-way flashers alot, and still had people hurrying around me to cut me off. Coming down to McKnight Road I had a red light, and about 10 cars sitting at the light (all the ones that blew around me coming down the hill). When the light changed, and I saw that all of the cars ahead of me were going to clear the light, I started shifting and getting my speed up to clear the light too. I got onto McKnight Rd, looking ahead to time all of my lights. Got through Peebles road intersection, just to get a red light at the next intersection (and it was on an uphill grade). So I took the berm and made a right turn, went up a block and the road widened out for me to make a "U" turn, coming back to McKnight I had a ramp and a Yeild sign (WHEW). I made it to Cranberry on US19, where traffic was stopped and backed up at the PA228 intersection. Two blocks back from that intersection is a hospital, so I navigated through the side streets and came out on 228, avoiding the big intersection. I had it clear, and pulled a "hollywood" at two stop signs. I successfully got onto I-79. Got off at Grove City, "hollywooded" another stop sign, and got the car home, parked exactly as I had planned when I stalled it because I didn't have a clutch and couldn't pull it out of 1st. It was a 50 mile trip, mixed suburban and Interstate highway driving, without the clutch even once.

I was happy to get it home where I can replace the clutch cable this week.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2006, 03:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Yesterday afternoon, we went shopping for travel trailers. We checked out 5 brands--Cikira Classic Cruiser, Zinger by Crossroads, Sunset Creek by SunnyBrook, Trail Cruiser by R-Vision, and Trail Sport by R-Vision.

The Cikira 21 CC seemed adequate, the Sunset Creek 270 BH was a nice but very high, the Zinger ZT18RB is overall a very nice unit, the Trail Sport 27FQ seemed like a very nice unit.

The last one we looked at was the Trail Cruiser 30QBSS. This one got our attention, loud and clear. It looks wonderful, and has queen bed plus bunks and super slide houseing the galley and sofa bed. The total dry weight 4289# is under the tow rating for our present tow vehicle, but won't leave much for CCC before exceeding the GCWR.

Then to top off the day, our very last stop was Ross Park Mall at 8:00 last night. We were in the Mall parking lot, pulling away from a stop sign, and the clutch cable broke in my Jetta. Fortunately, there was a parking space I could coast into. I thought about getting it towed home, or driving it. I decided to drive it 50 miles home, up shifting and down shifting with engine RPM vs. road speed. While Jodi and the kids went shopping, I sat in the car surveying how I was going to coast it and get into 1st gear without the clutch. 9:00, we started home. I used my 4-way flashers alot, and still had people hurrying around me to cut me off. Coming down to McKnight Road I had a red light, and about 10 cars sitting at the light (all the ones that blew around me coming down the hill). When the light changed, and I saw that all of the cars ahead of me were going to clear the light, I started shifting and getting my speed up to clear the light too. I got onto McKnight Rd, looking ahead to time all of my lights. Got through Peebles road intersection, just to get a red light at the next intersection (and it was on an uphill grade). So I took the berm and made a right turn, went up a block and the road widened out for me to make a "U" turn, coming back to McKnight I had a ramp and a Yeild sign (WHEW). I made it to Cranberry on US19, where traffic was stopped and backed up at the PA228 intersection. Two blocks back from that intersection is a hospital, so I navigated through the side streets and came out on 228, avoiding the big intersection. I had it clear, and pulled a "hollywood" at two stop signs. I successfully got onto I-79. Got off at Grove City, "hollywooded" another stop sign, and got the car home, parked exactly as I had planned when I stalled it because I didn't have a clutch and couldn't pull it out of 1st. It was a 50 mile trip, mixed suburban and Interstate highway driving, without the clutch even once.

I was happy to get it home where I can replace the clutch cable this week.

George
Old 10-29-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Glad you all got home safe!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
TY Bob
Old 10-29-2006, 01:00 PM   #5

George,
I'm happy that you made it home safely. I'm not sure I would have tried that, but... we thank the Lord for clearing the path for you.

If you are looking for a new light trailer you may want to check out the Zeppelin built by Keystone. They have some impressive construction and features and still reasonably priced. keystone-zeppelin.com

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hey George, That's some creative driving. I'm thinking if the clutch plate itself ever goes, you can just bolt the flywheel to the pressure plate and have a solid drive now that you've learned you don't need the clutch

Seriously now, glad you made it home.

Joe
Old 10-31-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Paul: I don't have a local dealer that sells the Zeppelin. Any suggestions?

Joe: In 1995, I drove tour bus for a Bortner Bus and Tour and they had a fleet of Eagles with Detroit 350 with 5-speed non-syncronized transmission. The owner forbid all of his drivers from using the brakes and clutch unless absolutely necessary. At wee hours of the morning, you could hear him on the radio telling incoming drivers "you didn't downshift, do it now" and he would listen (from his bed) for the engine RPMs to know the driver wasn't using the clutch. So once upon a time, I did get quite good at it with a 54,000# 40', 48-passenger coach.

GM